X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Stretch Armstrong Day!

It's a double shot of Corn Syrup today as we take a look at the 1978 Kenner Stretch Armstrong Catalog, which features such memorable sights as Stretch Monster and Octopus

If that wasn't enough, we have the world wide web premiere of the original Stretch Monster Commercial from 1978 as well.

What a perfect way to start a long weekend, have a great one!
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

"long weekend" HAH!

I had Stretch Armstrong and Stretch Monster. I particularly liked Stretch Monster. He menaced my Mego Super Heroes a lot, since I had no villains. My Stretch Monster must have lasted quite awhile, as I remember taking him to either Kindergarten or First Grade show and tell.

The scaly texture on both the body and head were really well done. Lots of fine detail for a stretch toy!

Thanks for sharing Brain!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MegoGeek
      From The Black Lagoon
      • Jun 27, 2001

(Sigh)......they just don't make Cute N Friendly Ocean Beasts like they used to.
      ______
      ChArLiE

Comment

• Surfsup
        Silver Chrome Dome
        • Dec 2, 2005

Cool ads, thanks. I loved my Stretch, it didn't last too long unfortunately as my bro punctured it in a revenge attack.

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

awesome,I always wanted one and still do.Just way too expensive for me though
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ramsey37
            • Jun 18, 2001

Hmmm, this has been up for 12 hours and Elastic Hulk hasn't commented on it yet?
            George

Comment

• batmanmc
              mego batman collector
              • Jun 22, 2004

we had the superman and spiderman strtech but never stretch himself. always wanted one .

Comment

• Mr Mego
                Love to play with Megos
                • Oct 19, 2003

That's awesome, thanx for sharing!

I had that Kenner Stretch Monster in Christmas, 1978.

I remember my mother and I went to the Toys R Us and I spotted him, I told my mother I wanted that one! So, she bought him for me for my Christmas present, thanx MOM!!!

My brother had a Stretch Armstrong, we played fought each others with them.

I loved it and played with him often. I accident poked him on the left of his chest with a pencil, the oozing came out. I put a bandage on him but still oozing came out........

Here's more information about them:

[NOTE: these are not my collection, I just found them in the Websites.]

Stretch Armstrong that link has "html".

My Vast Stretch Collection - that link has "html" too.

Boxes of Stretch Figures
                Last edited by Mr Mego; Sep 23, '07, 6:08 PM. Reason: Someone erased my links, I forgot it has "HTML", sorry
                Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• batmanmc
                  mego batman collector
                  • Jun 22, 2004

pat thats great .glad you enjoyed the strtech figures. and its relly cool you have pictures of your childhood. keep the pictures coming buddy.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                    • Apr 3, 2007

Hey that's great! Now you need to find some Mego shots!
                    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Wow. I use ot love this figure, but alas he didn;t last veyr long due to his puncture prone skin. I kept him around long after I got my first tear in him, but eventually he grew very hard and that was the end of him. I would love to find another Stretch but their few and far between. I wish they would re-issue him the way he originally looked. I think it would be a huge hit.

Comment

• Mr Mego
                        Love to play with Megos
                        • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by batmanmc
                        pat thats great .glad you enjoyed the strtech figures. and its relly cool you have pictures of your childhood. keep the pictures coming buddy.
                        Thank you for interest my pic, yeah it's really cool I have pictures of my chilhood and I'll keep the pictures coming buddy. Hope you have pictures of your childhood, LMK if you have one in which figure(s) this "Classic Toys" board.

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                        Hey that's great! Now you need to find some Mego shots!
                        Yeah, I found some Mego Stretch figures Websites, I'll post in Mego Buzz soon.

One link doesn't showing up, so I posted this image banner, Photos and information about Stretch Monster information:

"Stretch Monster is really a sweet monster...unless he is angry.
                        Stretch Armstrong makes him very, VERY ANGRY!!"

That is what is says on his instruction sheet. But I bet the thousands of kids that pulled him, smashed him and tied him up in knots ****ed him off quite a bit as well! They are also part of the reason he has become an endangered species. Therefore, Stretch Monster has become a very, VERY ANGRY monster indeed!

In 1976, Kenner released a toy called Stretch Armstrong. Stretch was a huge hit with kids. You could stretch him all you wanted, and he would return back to his original shape. AMAZING! I imagine kids enjoyed beating other kids with them too. These suckers were heavy! Stretch Armstrong was such a big hit, that Kenner decided to release other Stretch figures. By far the coolest, was Stretch Armstrong's arch enemy, Stretch Monster, released in 1978. Kenner also released a Stretch Octopus, and Stretch X-Ray, who was a red alien.

Unfortunately, not many of these Stretch toys still exist. If you pulled on them too hard, they would break. If you punctured them, they would leak the syrup contained inside, and the hole would gradually get bigger. Believe me, I know, I went through my fair share as a kid. Stretch Armstrong even came with little Bandaids in case he got an owie. The Stretch figures that avoided the torment of little brats, aren't in much better shape. Over time, they tend to harden, and deteriorate. So to find one in nice condition, is a very hard thing to do (though not impossible), and will cost you a pretty penny.

I recently added a Stretch Monster to my collection. This is an item I have been after for 20 years. I was surprised to find that not only was he still intact, soft, and stretchable (though I would never ever stretch him), but he also still had all the paperwork that came with him.

I decided to create this page to archive him. There is very little information, and very few pictures of him here on the web, and I thought I would share him with all of you! I hope you enjoy your visit, and hope you leave with all of your limbs intact. Remember, Stretch Monster is very, VERY ANGRY!!! GRRRR!!!
                        The Monster:

Stretch Monster Photo 1

Stretch Monster Photo 2

Stretch Monster Photo 3

Stretch Monster Photo 4

His Cage:

FRONT

Back

Left Side

Right Side

Right side closeup

Right side close up

Front with insert card removed

Inner styrofoam tray with cover

GRRRRR

The Paperwork:

It said "Any questions or comments? Please e-mail me by clicking HERE CreaturesLab@yahoo.com"
                        Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          Alan Scott is the best GL
                          • Aug 8, 2007

the only stretch I had was a spiderman headed one. after a while we had to "test" how far he could stretch and still return shape. of course you know what happened and when that goo spilled on the rug boy did we get it

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

I saw that site before. Cool!
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• tmthor
                              God of Knock-offs
                              • Nov 29, 2005

I wish I still had my streach Xray he was one of my favorite toys

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎