• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trappy Trek Freak
    House of a thousand Megos
    • Aug 10, 2009

Star Trek TMP 3 3/4 " Crew

Hello,
    Has anyone ever customized the crew STTMP figures? I have been buying them up with the intent of taking them apart and changing heads using Black hole heads for example. Its very easy with the 8" figures but I just don't want to destroy a cool 3" Kirk or Scotty. I wonder if there is a technique to pulling them apart. I would appreciate any help on this idea it would be cool to expand the crew to like 20 instead of 6.

Thanks Trappy
    Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

When I was a kid I always wanted to do what your proposing, but never did. I have no idea what the best way to open 'em up is, but I wish you luck!

Actually, if your handy at casting, you may want to open just one body up, make some molds, and then make resin bodies to use for your customs?
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I have plans to but haven't touched them as of yet. the torso is a challenge to open on pcoket heroes and chips bad guys.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TrueDave
        Toy Maker
        • Jan 12, 2008

I once froze a captain America Toy Biz figure and it poped apart nicely. Put it in ice so the water can seep in and expand inside.

Comment

• david_b
          Never had enough toys..
          • May 9, 2008

I've done lots of customizing of the Playmates Trek figures, but not the Mego Trek figures. I did want to make a custom Crusher for my Galoob figures, but haven't figured out the best way to do that yet.

I suppose I could use a Dr. Kate as a Beverly Crusher, but haven't researched it enough.

david_b
          Last edited by david_b; Feb 10, '10, 4:41 AM.
          Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

>you may want to open just one body up, make some molds, and then make resin bodies to use for your customs?

That'd be your best bet. That way you could fix any damage done while getting them apart, and cast resin would be a LOT easier to work with than the plastics they used on the actual figures.

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

I think Mark Bradley,(?), aka, Ranger 3 or Frank McRae here on thses boards, customized a MEGO Buck Rogers figure by swapping the head on to a 3 & 3/4 inch G.I. Joe body. He might have some insight into this. He hasn't posted in a while here but I think he has an extensive model kit and prop photo-album on flicker? You might try him.
              Last edited by johnmiic; Feb 11, '10, 2:34 PM.

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
                House of a thousand Megos
                • Aug 10, 2009

I made a Dr. Crusher out of a Yar body and a Kate BH head and painted the gold to blue and it looked great. I have a bunch of parts to do this project, TMP figures, BH figures, Pocket hero superman, Comic Captain marvel, even mattel Flash Gordon. If casting these bodies is an option then How Do I Do It??? Maybe it can be a Mego Meet project? I would like CB McHaul's Head I had all of em when I was 6 how do I find them now?
                Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• david_b
                  Never had enough toys..
                  • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by Trappy Trek Freak
                  I made a Dr. Crusher out of a Yar body and a Kate BH head and painted the gold to blue and it looked great.
                  I was snooping around a few weeks back to figure out a good recipe for Dr. Crusher ~ I'll definitely try this..

THANKS!!!!

david_b
                  Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Richard J. Fowlks
                    repeat offender
                    • Feb 10, 2010

Playmates ST figures I was always able to boil 'n' pop. Worked great. But I haven't tried the Motion Picture figs. Is it not a simple post for the head? Please let us know how it goes!!

Comment

• LordMudd
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 22, 2011

The boil and pop works well for these. Pop the head then insert a screw driver to lever the body apart. My best Mego custom is Ilia with Decker legs, a more accurate uniform version then repainted.

CCC.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎