Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a market for new Doctor Who Megos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Is there a market for new Doctor Who Megos?

The original 9" ones are some of my favourite Megos.

Do you think that a North American collector's market would be receptive to a classic 8" Mego-like Doctor Who line, starting with Tom Baker and Leela once again and working through the other Doctors and creatures? Would it be more succesful to start with David Tennant era, since there is a more built in contemporary audience?

This is actually the Science Fiction property that I would most love to see Re-Mego-d. More than Star Trek, Planet of the Apes or BSG.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • toystalker
    none
    • Mar 27, 2008

america? canada?

dont forget the uk... would be huge here

even now i cant get enough drwho vintage or new it flies off shelves

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

If anybody were to release the Doctors and some favourite villains, something in the 8-12 inch range, I think they'd do well.
      Waves of four? Two Docs, two bad guys?
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I hate to admit this (being a huge Dr Who fan) but I think the American sales would be horribly bad.

Most average Americans only know 1 Doctor Who --- Tom Baker

He would be a smash as a novelty

Any other figure would fail miserably here.

I'm not saying there's no American Doctor Who fans -- on the contrary ..... I'm just saying realistically there's not enough to make the series as a whole anything but a failure.
        Last edited by Mikey; Jan 27, '10, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• megocrazy
          Museum Trouble Maker
          • Feb 18, 2007

I doubt this line would work without a UK distribution link. That's still where the major consumer base is. They would sell some in the US but not near enough to justify the license cost. I've gotta think the license rights would be in the $50,000 - $100,000US range minimum. Considering the overseas popularity and the number of characters associated with the title. With a UK distribution association possibly but still a major monetary risk for what I would see as very little profit gained. Would be cool to see if it happened. Be nice if the series was more available here in the States. Especially the early stuff.
          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

Tennant would probably sell better than classic Who, tho the numbers might fall short of expectations.

The company that is making the 4" figures also did some in the 12" scale. The Doctor, modern Cyberman, Dalek/Human hybrid, Ood, clockwork man, and some others. Not sure how well those did and I never saw any in stock at the local shop that does pick up Doctor Who stuff.

Also interesting to note that this same store had some of the vintage black and white Doctor two packs up on the shelves for quite a while. I think they had to go to discount before they actually sold.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

No North American company has ever produced Doctor Who figures, correct?

The figures we've seen here over the years are imports right?

Would it make more sense for a UK company to do them then? Do you think there would be any interest for Mego Who over in Europe?
              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

The UK will certainly be the main market. It's their product. Doctor Who is a British icon.
                I'm still hoping for some detailed 12 inch figures.
                I've been waiting over thirty years, though....
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by samurainoir
                  No North American company has ever produced Doctor Who figures, correct?

The figures we've seen here over the years are imports right?
                  ?
                  Yea, no American company ever made any Dr Who merchandise ... at least not for the American market.

Closest thing to that was a Canadian Company made a toy Sonic Screwdriver in the early 80's --- but that was unlicensed and only made for the collector market.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

It'd be a huge hit in the UK, but you'd have to do like CO and do both modern and vintage Who. That way you could catch both sets of fans. CO made some great 12 inch stuff before, but didn't think the market was very good for it. Shame too, they had incredible sculpts and quality overall.

Would probably be pretty easy, considering how cheap Megos are to make in the general scheme of things. The only real problem, is the general lack of appeal of Megos overall. That's probably the major hiccup if anything.

I think it could have some cool ties in the UK though, as the 4th Doctor Deny Fisher was the only real "Doctor" toy for years.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                      MeGoing
                      • May 14, 2003

It would be nice but there are so many Doctor figures out there these days it would have a lot of competition.

Comment

• toystalker
                        none
                        • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                        It would be nice but there are so many Doctor figures out there these days it would have a lot of competition.

also true

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

I'd pass on them.
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• raider5gt
                            Museum Tree Cutter
                            • Nov 25, 2007

Originally posted by rche

The company that is making the 4" figures also did some in the 12" scale. The Doctor, modern Cyberman, Dalek/Human hybrid, Ood, clockwork man, and some others. Not sure how well those did and I never saw any in stock at the local shop that does pick up Doctor Who stuff.
                            I don't think the 12 inch figures did that well over here,i have seen Sec Human/Dalek Hybrid and The Ood at a discount store for about £7 / $12 and numerous early series figures for £2.99 / $5

If they did get re-megoed i would go for the 3rd and 4th Dr's oh and a few Daleks

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

i would love to see megoesque Dr Who, but only in 8 inch format

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎