X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lepage
    The Ape General
    • Aug 12, 2001

Big Jim Karl may / wild west line

I won this auction out of Canada. I guess Karl May is a German writter of the western character winnetou and old shatterhand. The foreign big Jim market I guess featured this line as Karl May but from what I can gather, the version you see here was exclusive to Canada!?
    I have seen many of the old shatterhand figures but I must say, I have never seen the other two characters especially the "bloody fox" figure.

Are there any Big Jim experts out there that might be able to tell me more about these figures!? Is the bloody fox figure rarer then the others?

thanks in advance

Dave
    Last edited by lepage; Aug 28, '07, 10:23 AM. Reason: forgot link
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

That is a nice pick up !before Ebay the price for these items were threw the roof , I have a bunch of outfits, LIKE CAVALRY CAPTAIN ,& a ranch hand outfit with a branding irion with the wolf P.A.C.K. EMBLEM ON IT.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Holy crap what a great deal!! I just sold a few of these lose the other day with clothes for like $45
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

congrats on a nice deal.

Comment

• kresge1
          Museum_Bozo
          • Jun 20, 2001

Nice pick-up
          You can turn those around and make a nice profit
          Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Didn't Mattel do the Grizzly Adams line, too? These guys remind me a lot of that line.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

Wow what a fantastic price...congratulations Dave.

Comment

• lepage
                The Ape General
                • Aug 12, 2001

thanks all but let me be clear that I didnt post this to "brag" about my great deal. Yeah I believe it was a fantastic deal although I couldnt tell you what they might be worth. I dont plan on selling them any time soon.
                I am more interested in learning about this line and its rarity or lack of. I also cant seem to really find any collector sites for Big Jim. You would think they would be out there!?

Comment

• Cryptoys
                  Lord of Monsters & Horror
                  • Mar 28, 2006

Wow, that truly was a great deal and I am indeed envious. That line is consistently overlooked.

As far as I know, the Karl May line had some foriegn exclusives but few were original dolls. I know that Lone Wolf was reissued in Canada for the Wild West set instead of Grizzly Adams. France had an indian girl exclusive but I am not sure about what you have there.
                  The whole line seems to be tougher than other lines, I think they didn't sell well here and more of them are out of Canada where most were shipped.

The Bloody Fox is rarer to some degree but not by much. Not a lot parents wanting to buy "Bloody" Fox for their kids. The problem is the line still doesn't garner enough attention to make it a pricey piece. I find anything to be in the $35 to $50 range.

As far as Big Jim goes, I too have wondered why there is no collector sites for him. I have thought about doing one myself.
                  The best info that exsists I have found were two issues of Tomarts #55 and #111. You might be able to get them on ebay.

Disclaimer: I am no expert and some my information may not be 100% accurate but in 17 years of collecting, it's what I got and I hope it helps.

Jason
                  Last edited by Cryptoys; Aug 31, '07, 1:50 AM.

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

Nice Haul Dave.

Those figures were sold in Canada, with a de-emphasis on the Karl May bit(who I believe was a German, and the figures were hugely popular over there). The only place I ever saw them was at a WH Smith bookstore that had a pretty nifty toy department. There was a black horse with a cavalry saddle, a wagon, and a Big Jim Cavalry officer as well.
                    WH Smith always seemed to get stuff that was clearance from the manufacturers, for example, they carried the Battlestar Galactica stuff, like the Galactica model that launched little foam vipers, the landram, and a few Starbuks on Apollo cards. All the stuff that retailers never seemed to pick up on.I'm sure this line was the same story, probably offerred to all North American retailers, few picked it up, and they hit clearance right away.
                    Tomarts did an issue on the Europe line of these...the line was massive, with canoes, Indian camps, etc.
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎