X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

Matt-A-Way Green Arrow

I am sure it comes as no surprise that I do not like the new body of Mattel's Retro-Action Green Arrow, but another huge disappointment to me are his huge boots, so I knew I would be switching both out.

The choice for the body was easy. Ollie could definitely benefit from Cast-A-Way's swivel arms. I originally had some CTVT boots on him that I had laying around, until my Cast-A-Way order came in.Those looked great, much better than Mattel's, but I wanted to try out some Cast-A-Ways because they are rubber, and felt they would fit the updated style and rubber accessories of the Retro-Action figure better than the harder plastic Mego repros. I tried out both the old style and newer style Cast-A-Way hero boots. The old style look good, but I decided on the new style, because they fit even tighter and in my opinion just look best on the figure. They fit so tight in fact, you will need to heat them up to get them on over his stockings. Would be easier if you cut the feet out of Ollie's suit, but I didn't want to go that far. If you are looking for more of a Mego look, you will want to go with the old style boots, which slip on nice and easy. They are a bit bulkier than Mego boots, but still look WAY better than Mattel's.

The bow could be better, and I have seen some great mods on the board, but it has kind of grown on me. In the right pose, it looks great. That being said, I may still customize a bow for him in the future.

I definitely recommend Cast-A-Way parts for the Retro-Action DC Heroes!
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Will you look at that, he looks so much better without those weird Mattel legs. Poseability on this one is awesome
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Ivaniski
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 24, 2007

Matt-A-Way Green Arrow

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! This is the way i'd envisioned how the GA should've been from the get go. Great job.
      Last edited by Ivaniski; Jan 15, '10, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The style of those boots is perfect!

Has anyone tried CTVT green trimmed Klingon-type boots? (Sometimes they are so tight as to be useless.)
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I like the Mattel Boot Myself...
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

now he need bigger holes in the "gauntlets" to make it look like straps across the back of the arm and lacing across the chest.

Comment

• Remco Monster
              GLOWS in the Dark!
              • May 3, 2006

Though I do have some issues with his gauntlets, it is more the fact that they are so big and long, than the size of the holes. None of my issues with them are enough for me to bother modifying them. I don't think they look all THAT bad. I love the lacing you added to yours, it definitely looks better, but that is also something that doesn't bother me enough to modify.

Also, another simple little mod I did to him, was thread his quiver strap "hook" in through the top of the other strap's loop, so that the "hook" doesn't stick out/show. I think it looks much better this way.
              Last edited by Remco Monster; Jan 15, '10, 7:49 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

He looks great...and that Picture is awesome! Who would have thought...that Mattel would send so much business in Cast-A-Way's direction?

I used the same formula...but went with Cast-A-Way's "pointed" Toed Boot.
                sigpic

Comment

• Remco Monster
                  GLOWS in the Dark!
                  • May 3, 2006

It was a pretty difficult decision between the C-A-W old version and newer hero boots. Either way he looks great.

Anyone who likes the Mattel boots but wants a better fit, or wants a Megoer style, will definitely want the old version boots.

Also, for anyone that can't tell, I am using the Mattel hands with the C-A-W body. Old news for most, but for anyone who may not know, they fit great.
                  Last edited by Remco Monster; Jan 15, '10, 7:58 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, looks great!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• vulcan2074
                      Live Long and Prosper
                      • Mar 23, 2008

Your pictures Rock. I dig him on the new body. Very nice
                      Sammy

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

Jason, Dave, you guys do have enough bodies in stock, right?
                        Looks like you'll be needing them, especially when wave 1 is released
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                          MeGoing
                          • May 14, 2003

Very nice. I really like the Castaway bodies and boots.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
                            Jason, Dave, you guys do have enough bodies in stock, right?
                            Looks like you'll be needing them, especially when wave 1 is released

And more colors too please! I need green & black.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Jerry68
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 12, 2008

Originally posted by The Bat
                              And more colors too please! I need green & black.
                              Here is an Idea on the colors. Have you tried dying them? I dye the hands all the time. Here is another; I use the vinyl and fabric paint all the time. I painted the boots on the legs of one of my castaway bodies. The paint sticks very well and takes just a little spray. It looked awesome! Feels just like the body , no tack or anything. I know there is a gloss and flat black. I do not know about the green. Ihave also used the krylon paint for plastic on the bodies. This may work for you.
                              Last edited by Jerry68; Jan 16, '10, 8:50 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎