Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone please explain the difference between vintage and Wal-Mart fuzzheads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mawni
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 11, 2007

Could someone please explain the difference between vintage and Wal-Mart fuzzheads?

I never had a flock-headed Joe as a child but I do have some of the Wal-Mart Joes. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the difference.

Thanks.

Monti
  • jds1911a1
    Alan Scott is the best GL
    • Aug 8, 2007

Basically the untrained eye won't see the differences but if you have a vintage flocked hair next to a modern one the modern ones hair is thinner/finer (closer to the scalp). The color in a modern one is more uniformly the base color (1 shade of brown, blond or red) where vintage ones have mutiple shades of the same color together for a more "natural look"

as a general rule vintage flocked hairs with no thinning are not to be found and certainly not to be bought by a novice. Since the modern reproduction at figures have been around about 5 years now between Joeclub and timless collections the chances of the pawn off head swap to a vintage body are really high (unfortunatley).

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

side by side the newer ones look cheaper. the old ones are i think fuller at least to me . im not a gi joe expert but i have a few gi joes . the vintage and a couple timelss collection.

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

The new bodies are of a lighter weight plastic, and have a lighter tone to them as well. The heads are of a softer vinyl, and the new hands are missing the infamous upside down thumbnail that Hasbro cooked up on the original's to foil companies that were copying their bodies.
        Also, some of the originals flocked hair didnt just have different shades of the same color, but there always seemed to be a little "left over" pieces from the other colors (ie shades of yellow and orange in the brown hair, etc.)

I just got back from a trip through the United States, and talked to a Hasbro rep about the new release figures. Seems the first batch hit clearance so fast because of the poor quality on the flocked hair. New, better flocked versions are due out now (I was lucky enough to snag a set of them...the flocking is way better.
        These figures were received really well, and the rep wouldnt rule out the possibility of some of the simpler accessory sets being released in the future....I think it depends on Wal-Mart more than Hasbro though.
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• batmanmc
          mego batman collector
          • Jun 22, 2004

the newer gi joes also have some problems with legs shorter then others. mike

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Besides the fact that the newer ones are very poorly made,there isn't much of a difference
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Mawni
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 11, 2007

Merci!

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Monti

Comment

• jds1911a1
                • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by batmanmc
                the newer gi joes also have some problems with legs shorter then others. mike
                even vintage joes have that problem.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Captain
                  the new hands are missing the infamous upside down thumbnail that Hasbro cooked up on the original's to foil companies that were copying their bodies.
                  I'm pretty sure the upside down thumbnails were only on the hard hand figures and not the Kung Fu Grip ones.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    I'm pretty sure the upside down thumbnails were only on the hard hand figures and not the Kung Fu Grip ones.
                    correct

Comment

• batmanmc
                      mego batman collector
                      • Jun 22, 2004

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                      even vintage joes have that problem.
                      i dont have a big vintage gi joe colelction but havent found that problem yet.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        • Aug 8, 2007

I have 100's of 60's & 70's joes from all over the world (action men, action team, gypermen, Gijoe, group action joe, combat joe etc) if you check vintage GI joes there are mold #'s on each part (and mutiple molds for each body part) some vintage parts don't fit well on some joints. my experience is ealrier joes have more body size issues than the last AT ones but many joes have to shift at the hip to not lean to one side
                        I suspect the same is true for the new reproductions.
                        There may be quality issues with the new plastic as it cools. Different batches are cooling and shrinking at slightly different rates I can't say for certain or they may have a mold error

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎