X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

12 " star wars rip off toys

does anybody remember a line of toys made in the late 70's , sort of a star wars rip off. I think they were 12 inch , almost like a Gi-joe body. There was one guy in black & i think silver, black round head, i think he even came with a sword of some kind.

Then there was a gold or silver robot guy, he reminded me of a cheap c3po.

What was the name of that line? What year? Who knows, if i search hard enough maybe i'll find mine.
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Ideal made them. They were called Star Team.

The black guy was Knight of Darkness and the silver guy with the green head was Zem-21.
    Last edited by ABMAC; Aug 26, '07, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I see them on ebay all the time,not to expensive either
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Ah yes, Star Team. I had those when I was a kid (got them at K-mart on clearance). Besides Knight of Darkness and Zem 21, there was also the smaller robot, Zeroid (based on the Zeroids figures that Ideal made in the late 60's) and the Star Hawk spaceship. They came out in 1978.

I think Lucas and Kenner wanted to sue, but Ideal proved that enough of the line consisted of reused parts and molds from earlier released toys (Captain Action and Zeroids), so they got away with it. Knight of Darkness didn't have a sword, but a laser gun (the same gun that the CA Flash Gordon costume came with).

Comment

• toysrus
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 23, 2007

Thank you!

Ah thats it! I think i just had 2 of those guys. What a rip off though!

Originally posted by ABMAC
          Ideal made them. They were called Star Team.

The black guy was Knight of Darkness and the silver guy with the green head was Zem-21.

Comment

• JFStan
            • Aug 27, 2007

Star Team.. cashing in..

There's no doubt that the "Star Team" label was created to cash in on the success of SW. The reincarnation of Zeroids wasn't the only rehash.. The classic game "Battling Tops" became "Battling Spaceships" under the guise of Star Team. Who can blame them? There was money to be made!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Star Team was an established trademark of Ideal prior to Star Wars, I think they released a few Star Team role play toys in the early seventies. So Lucas couldn't sue based on that fact, which was a saving grace.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

The Knight of Darkness from Star Team uses the Ideal Captain Action body as well as his boots, and CA Flash Gordon pistol.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• JFStan
                  • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  The Knight of Darkness from Star Team uses the Ideal Captain Action body as well as his boots, and CA Flash Gordon pistol.
                  I had forgotten that.. Unfortunately the head sculpts for both KoD and Zem-21 weren't impressive at all. I still had fun with them back then, but looking back I can't imagine how they thought KoD's look was even remotely menacing.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

I still have my Knight of Darkness in the box. It's not worth much $$ and it's well played with but I'm glad to have it nonetheless

Comment

• The Sentry
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 3, 2007

COOL! Now I know what his name is (Zem-21) I have had him since I was little, he always was Hulk villian. A big ***** robot that teamed-up with Suckerman and fought the Hulk! What childhood stories I could tell!
                      sigpic
                      http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                      [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• DocDrako
                        Formerly Doc Drako
                        • Nov 11, 2004

I had the Knight of Darkness and Zem-21 as well. I didn't care for the smaller robot. I wish I would have kept them. They were pretty cool for knock-offs.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• tmthor
                          God of Knock-offs
                          • Nov 29, 2005

Knock off lines (not the 1$ store ones thats isanother subject & guilty pleasure of mine) like the Star Team, Tomlands Star Raiders for Star Wars Warrior Beasts & Conan & the like for He-Man. Sgt rock & The C.O.R.P.S. for Gi Joe. are something that does not exist any more I was really hoping the Transformers movie would have launched a ton of new robot lines here but I was wrong i realy miss all the Knock off tie in lines of yesterday

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎