X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

will we ever see another POTA film?

Does anybody think we will ever see another Planet of the apes film? Or a sci fi type series? With the POTA being so well known i cant see how they wont do it, the money they could make!!!

This time i hope its done right!

To this day i'm still mad they never did give us a finale to the tv series.
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

I wish I could unsee Burton's 2001 garbage. I'd rather have nothing than more of that.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I think the "Burtonverse" was a one time deal, thankfully. The whole thing felt more like a cash grab than a new franchise.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

It probably did well enough financially to justify a sequel, but I agree with you.

It used to bother me that the TV series never got a finale episode, but it doesn't anymore. Either they found a way to get home, or they spent the rest of their lives educating isolated apes and humans, or Urko finally caught them and killed them.

Comment

• batmanmc
          mego batman collector
          • Jun 22, 2004

i doubt they would have another. the toy lines wouldn't be there if they did. the toys sat on clearance for a long time. mike

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ABMAC
            It probably did well enough financially to justify a sequel, but I agree with you.
            it was profitable but it seemed like the makers knew it wouldn't be easy to get money out of our wallets a second time. Add on to that that a sequel would likely be more expensive, I'm not surprised.

Today at the grocery store, a man was wearing a General Attar shirt, I had to think what it was for a minute. I don't feel it had much impact and is largely forgotten.

It used to bother me that the TV series never got a finale episode, but it doesn't anymore. Either they found a way to get home, or they spent the rest of their lives educating isolated apes and humans, or Urko finally caught them and killed them

If you want to go to those elderly Galen bumpers created for syndication, V & B went home somehow but I don't know if I trust elderly Galen......
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

The remake didn't work because Tim Burton and the writers didn't respect the original material. They spent too much time making a parody of apes to humans and it came off as a bad joke rather than some kind of intended irony. Plus Mark Walhberg was just too Stallone-esque. He walked through every scene like he was "da man" and that came off cheesy. The original had Charleton Heston , better known in those days for Moses, getting his butt whooped and degraded. That was shocking to audiences and underscored the uncertainty and danger of the environment he was in. It will take time before another is made. The studio wants to make sure most people have forgotten this one! I LOVE the original movies and wouldn't mind it one bit if they went back to that original makeup. It's so iconic and still works today...in my humble opinion.

Comment

• ABMAC
                User
                • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                it was profitable but it seemed like the makers knew it wouldn't be easy to get money out of our wallets a second time. Add on to that that a sequel would likely be more expensive, I'm not surprised.

Today at the grocery store, a man was wearing a General Attar shirt, I had to think what it was for a minute. I don't feel it had much impact and is largely forgotten.
                Most of the characters were little more than stereotypes, and none of them were likeable. The apes looked good (OK, the male apes looked good), but there was very little beneath the surface. The origin that they gave the apes prevented them from having any connection to current events, and kept me from wanting to know more about their culture. They answered all the questions we might have had, so it was a dead end.

If you want to go to those elderly Galen bumpers created for syndication, V & B went home somehow but I don't know if I trust elderly Galen......
                It's cool to see McDowall in the makeup again, but I don't think his presence is enough to make anyone accept the bumpers as canon.

Comment

• MegoMonk
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 22, 2007

I did kind of like the Burton film, but I really wish they would do a movie faithful to the original book.
                  There is also a POTA script written by Sam Hamm (who wrote the script for Burton's Batman) that was pretty good. I always wondered why burton did not use that script, since he had already worked with a Sam Hamm script for Batman.

Comment

• Megotu
                    jerk
                    • Dec 16, 2001

I keep hearing that Joel Schumacher is getting the green light for a new POTA movie...I think they have already given a script to Gilbert Gottfried...
                    sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

I think without a doubt there will be another movie,this just seems like something they will re-make every 15-30 years for the rest of our lives
                      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Personally, I would rather see a new tv series. One that tries to follow the pattern ...the "universe" set down by the original movies, and is faithfull to the look and feel of the pre-Burton franchise.

For those of you who want to see how the tv series may have ended, this site has a fan made comic that tells a pretty good tale...Does a decent job of tying the tv series into the films too...
                        This domain is for sale! Fast and easy shopping. Trusted and secure since 2005.
                        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Boris71
                          GeekBot' For Life
                          • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                          The remake didn't work because Tim Burton and the writers didn't respect the original material. They spent too much time making a parody of apes to humans and it came off as a bad joke rather than some kind of intended irony. Plus Mark Walhberg was just too Stallone-esque. He walked through every scene like he was "da man" and that came off cheesy. The original had Charleton Heston , better known in those days for Moses, getting his butt whooped and degraded. That was shocking to audiences and underscored the uncertainty and danger of the environment he was in. It will take time before another is made. The studio wants to make sure most people have forgotten this one! I LOVE the original movies and wouldn't mind it one bit if they went back to that original makeup. It's so iconic and still works today...in my humble opinion.
                          actually the film was much closer to the original piere boulle book than the original movie was and the ending was the same sting in the tail twist of the book
                          Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• ABMAC
                            User
                            • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by Boris71
                            actually the film was much closer to the original piere boulle book than the original movie was and the ending was the same sting in the tail twist of the book
                            Apart from having his apes inhabit a planet that isn't Earth, how is Burton's movie more like the book? All of Burton's characters are obsessive and rather dim-witted, and his humans appear to be slightly more intelligent than his apes. Although Boulle's characters are stereotypes, they represent groups that we can understand and relate to.

As Boulle's apes rose to dominance, they triggered the decline of Man. Much of the book addresses the question of intelligence versus mimicry. The only observation that Burton's movie seems to make is "slavery is bad," which is hardly relevant these days.

Boulle's protagonist, the journalist Ullysse Mérou, returns to Earth with his new family only with the help of Zira and Cornelius. Leo Davidson, on the other hand, only has to wait around for his ride to show up. Both characters return to Earth to find apes in charge, but Boulle's book suggests that the Men of Earth degenerated for the same reasons as the Men of Soror. Burton's explanation for the rise of the apes on their planet doesn't make sense when applied to Earth, so tacking on an ending similar to Boulle's comes off looking more like a cheap gimmick than a thought-provoking twist.

Comment

• kingcarm
                              That Ape Guy
                              • Sep 7, 2001

I like Tim Burton and I like his work and although I found his take on POTA enjoyable, I thought it was weak and could've been better. The end of his movie did leave it open for a sequel.
                              Carm

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎