X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Flash Gordon through the ages

I enjoy serials. They are made poorly but are so entertaining that shows like Batman (66) purposely paid homage.
    Some are worse than the rest (Captain America, Batman)
    Some stand out - Flash Gordon (1936 Crabbe) being the serial by which all others would try to emulate. Lucas even took cues from this. I still love to watch these to this day.
    I loved the 50's TV series starring Steve Holland.

I love the 1980 movie! Some criticize it's camp but it all seems intentional to me. To criticize somewhat cheesy sets, effects and dialogue in this would be they same as saying you hate the Adam West Batman because it isn't the Dark Knight. This film is action packed, fun to watch, great new takes on old characters, wonderfully cast and the sound track ain't half bad!!!

Tonight I gave the new series a shot. I think Lana's boyfriend is well cast. But ths show reaks of everyother tnt, sci fi series... "original" -there is nothing original. Maybe Hercules will come and pilot a ship for him. Don't get me wrong. It isn't bad. It just isn't worth watching.
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I absolutely loved the original comics; even though I haven't seen too much of them. (Just the odd compilation.) They're also the standard I measure the other takes by.

The Buster Crabbe serials were pretty good, especially considering when they were made.

The Filmation cartoon was pretty good, although it suffered from Filmation's usual stiffness and repetition. They captured the action of the serials and added some of the weird stuff they couldn't do back in the 30's.

I REALLY liked the 80's film. It's kind of an odd one though. They caught the look of the original comic; but sort of missed the action part. Even with the comedy it was a fair go. Other than Dale and Flash, everyone else was pretty true to the original comic. And the extra stuff they added wasn't too out of place.

I really HATED the 90's cartoon. Oh, he's aplucky teen with his pluckier teen girl sidekick.... er.... Oh look; flying skateboards.....

I haven't seen the new one; but the characters kinda killed it for me. Like the 90's cartoon it's WAY too easy to see what audience they're shooting for, 'cos they've swiped stuff from all of that audiences' favourite shows.

No football shaped spaceships? Flash is looking for HIS DAD?!?!? Zarkov is the Comic Book guy? Ming is some blonde dude?!?!?!? All they're missing are the flying skateboards.

*sigh*

Don C.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Some properties should never be "updated"...it takes away from their original charm and appeal. Sounds like the new "Flash Gordon" is one of those that should have stayed untouched.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

In making this version of "Flash Gordon", and I use the title loosely, I can't imagine Sci-Fi putting that much effort into this. Maybe they had someone "adapt" this version of "Flash" blindfolded, while a trained circus animal tapped it's hooves in semaphore code while watching a version that was translated to Aramaic. I mean how far removed from the original concept can you get and still expect an audience to recognize it?

Sci-Fi did better when they aired low budget fare such as The Buzz, Anti-Gravity Room, and the oft forgotten Sci-Fi Vortex:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎