X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Who wants to be a superhero?

I passed on the whole first season but then the weekend before season two they replayed season one as a marathon. I tuned in accidentally in episode two. I watch two an three. Taped the remainder and watched all but the finale before seing season two opener. Yeah, it is cheesy. Certainly they are going for a very narrow view of what a superhero is - Wolverine would have been kicked off on the first episode for sure and I doubt Batman would make the cut. Banner's application would have been thrown out (I am a social reject and I turn into a monster and smash stuff- usually for the greater good.)
    They got rid of Mindset because he didn't fit that mold but certainly I could see his character working. Stan himself has talked at length about the need for heros to have flaws. Diffuser will prob get canned for being the assertive leader. Guess he should have killed off Scott Summers if that is the way he feels.
    I was glad the comic geek won. I'd like to see Diffuser or Circus boy win this time because someone who actually read a comic should be the superhero.
    I was dissappointed that they allowed limelight to go more than one episode. I was sad to see Basura leave. Now that Wimp snap is gone I am hoping to see the demise of Parthenon.

Fun - mindless TV !!!!!
    Last edited by Brue; Aug 23, '07, 10:26 PM.
  • ShadowAvenger
    Career Member
    • May 14, 2007

Whip Snap may have been a wimp but at least she didn't give a "weapon" to a kid.
    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

I watched a few eps in season 1....didn't care for it. Stan is even more the carnival barker than he's ever been (and that's shocking!)....almost like, hmmmm, Funky Flashman!
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

This season sucks...I passed on it my son watches it.....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Stan has lost his Marvels.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
            This season sucks...I passed on it my son watches it.....
            i agree last season was batter --

and that

Stan has lost his Marvels.

-Chris
            -brue

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
              Stays Crunchy in Milk
              • Aug 2, 2004

We watch it. Season 1 was much goofier and had more heart. My favorite line from season 1 was Stan saying in a solom tone, "Thank you Monkey Woman" Sometimes the criticisms are a bit of a stretch. My son loves it still (Tonight is the Feedback movie Megasnake) although I skip all the Parthanon personal stuff as I'm not ready to have that talk with him yet.
              Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• jds1911a1
                Alan Scott is the best GL
                • Aug 8, 2007

I was hooked on season 1 ( I was really pulling for Maj Victory) until a buddy at work sent me the IMDB link and ALL of them were at least part time actors. While Matt Atherton (Feedback) may well be a comic fan he was also a professional actor before he was on the show so I lost faith in his emotional response.
                I am watching this year (there isn't much else on at 9 on Thrusday) but I am not letting myself like these characters as much, so if they all turn out to be actors I won't be let down again. I was rooting for Mr Mitzvah just becuase he was such a caricature (check IMDB he was a spotlight hound on reality tv before this).

Toyroom - you know it never occured to me that Funky Flashman was a DC rip on Stan until you pointed it out (oh well I was 7 then)

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                  Toyroom - you know it never occured to me that Funky Flashman was a DC rip on Stan until you pointed it out (oh well I was 7 then)
                  Actually, it was more a Jack Kirby rip on Stan...he went to DC to start his Fourth World saga after leaving Marvel and there was bad blood between him and Stan (same old story....Stan created the Marvel Universe all by himself...)
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    Actually, it was more a Jack Kirby rip on Stan...he went to DC to start his Fourth World saga after leaving Marvel and there was bad blood between him and Stan (same old story....Stan created the Marvel Universe all by himself...)
                    Never really a 4th world fan and Funky Kept showing for years after that thanks for the info

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Not only was Flashman based on Stan, but Flashman's flunky, ViceRoy was based on Stan's then-right-hand-man Roy Thomas.

And back in the late 60s/70s Stan sported a real bushy beard (fake?) and a REALLY fake toupee, just like Funky Flashman.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

Did anyone wind up watching the made for tv movie that was to star the winner of the first season?
                        did it ever air?
                        if so was it as bad as i image it was? was it good fodder for MST3000 type fun?

Comment

• jds1911a1
                          • Aug 8, 2007

Feedback Matt Ahterton has a cameo in teh Made for SCifi crapfest Megasnake (Michael Shanks stars and he must need money after SG1 ended). Feedback's five minutes are the only part worth watching he is at a fair giving kids a safety message lecture when the giant snake attacks he does his battle stance "time for some feedback" and shocks it. I was really hoping for a full Feedback movie since he was a trained actor before the reality show) maybe to help the sales of the comic

here is the IMDB listing for Matt
                          Matthew Atherton

SO far none of the season 2 contestants have had other gigs added to IMDB so either Scifi and Stan screened alot better for season 2 to weed out actors or they have chosen such unknowns no one has bothered. If this continues I might actually watch season 3
                          Last edited by jds1911a1; Oct 15, '07, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                            [Feedback Matt Ahterton] was a trained actor before the reality show

here is the IMDB listing for Matt
                            Matthew Atherton
                            Considering Stan booted a chick for that very reason this is scandalous (well, not too scandalous because no-one really cares)

Comment

• jds1911a1
                              • Aug 8, 2007

I think she got booted for admitting it in the challenge. Maj Victory was honest about it up front that he had been a model and actor before his radio gig. when the show was on it wasn't for until week 4 that I was shown the IMDB so it may be that the producers didn't know (Yeah sure they didn't). It's a shame as it soured me to season 2 so I wasn't really rooting for any of them.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎