Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know where I can get Mego scale eyeglasses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Anyone know where I can get Mego scale eyeglasses?

Years ago I got some really cool mego scale glasses from David Lee. Not sure where he got them.

Anyway, I need some eyeglasses that look real. Anyone know of a source?
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

I was looking at some of the Christmas decoration knick knacks. saw some Santa's and the Missus with the oldy half specticles type glasses close to scale. I was waiting to after the Holiday to score them on sale. They had lenses.
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I have hornrims fro a 9" Austin Powers that work well with my Clark Kent repro.

Also, there's one style of Barbie/Ken oval glasses that's pretty Megoesque, but not very realistic per se.

The Harry Potter Wizard Sweets 8" figure features round 1/9-scale glasses that are realistic, good for Sivana, early Parker
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

I've seen these for 1/6 scale and up:

Doll Glasses

I dont see anything for Mego scale, but it wouldnt hurt to contact them and ask? From what I can see, they just printed out the frames on a clear sheet of plastic. A person could copy one of the sheets of glasses shown into photoshop or what have you and rescale them, then print out their own?
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Ivaniski
          Persistent Member
          • Jun 24, 2007

Anyone know where I can get Mego scale

I did these Glasses for a Custom i made of my father-in-law (He's also a scooter lover).

Last edited by Ivaniski; Dec 27, '09, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• REMOVED
            • Apr 26, 2024

your father-in-law looks just like Gepetto

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by Ivaniski
              I did these Glasses for a Custom i made of my father-in-law.
              That's great, and he looks so happy about it...top pictures!

Comment

• AAAAA
                Permanent Member
                • Oct 28, 2005

here 1/12 or 6 inch
                http://www.aztecimport.com/Catalog26/26-241-250.pdf

Comment

• AJ Collector
                  The Biggest Little Man!
                  • Aug 24, 2008

Dave check wiyh Paul (pmwasson) from Lasermego, he makes some serious shades....

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

I've seen them made out of clear vinyl. The lenses were just cut with hole-punches or those die-cut things you get in the scrapbook section. Some(mostly on smaller customs) were just glued onto the face. But some had bits of wire running across the top to look like frames. I wish I had a link, but it was all stuff I saw posted on Raving Toy Maniac, and I don't recall who even made the customs anymore.
                    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Megospidey
                      Museum Webslinger
                      • Jul 26, 2006

If you are looking for round glasses, the Harry Potter figure is perfect...you can also reuse the shoes, pants, and shirt. it's all Mego scale.

Harry Potter WIZARD SWEETS HARRY 8" Doll *MINT* - eBay (item 200420378824 end time Jan-20-10 06:43:43 PST)

Here is what they look like on a Mego scale head (actually, it's a bit smaller than a Mego scale head):

Last edited by Megospidey; Dec 27, '09, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes, Megospidey's the one who turned me onto the HP glasses--they are really nice & are perfect for Sivana, etc.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

I had the same conundrum as you several years ago when I made my Commissioner Gordon

I searched high and low for some suitable realistic glasses. I couldn't find any, so i decided to make them myself. It took a few tries making a pattern for the shape of the glasses out of paper. Once I had the pattern I liked, I scotch taped it to the back of a clear piece of action figure clamshell, then carefully cut them out. I used an emery board to gently smooth the edges of the cut glasses. Then I carefully glued extremely fine styrene rod to the outer edges of these clear "goggles" to create glasses frames. I hand painted the frames in silver. Done.

It was a challenge but not as difficult as i thought, and the plus side is they end up being tailor-made to be flattering to the figure's face... not overly large or small... overly round or square, etc.

Also, with MEGO head sculpts, there tends to be no space at all between the ears and the hair at the temples (or the side of the head if the character is bald).
                          This means that glasses will not sit in a realistic way on the figure's face since the arms cannot hook over the tops of the ears.

With the Commissioner, my solution was simply to make tiny slits at the edge of the hair-line at the temples, and then slip the arms of the glasses into the slits.

But this only really works of you're working with a vinyl head, and custom-made glasses crafted of really fine strip styrene.

I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                            Formerly known as Del
                            • Dec 12, 2004

I also wanted the mention, that "Bob's" glasses on my Michael Myers custom were made from Shrinky Dinks. I found packs of plain sheets at JoAnn fabric. Basically, they shrink to 1/3 the original size. So I measured each piece to fit a Captain Kirk head, then multiplied that by 3 to determine how big to draw the piece. The two sides and the front are all separate pieces. After shrinking, I glued wire onto the back that connects them and makes them poseable. This was kind of an afterthought, so they're not very detailed, but the fact that you draw and cut them at a larger size makes more detail possible, such as cutting out the lenses so the character's eyes are visible.
                            Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                            https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                            http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by darklord1967
                              I
                              Love how you made these glasses. They are very clean and look very flattering on him!
                              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎