Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best way to sculpt a 8 inch custom head.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

best way to sculpt a 8 inch custom head.

Been considering doing a custom head sculpt for reproduction purposes and was wondering what kind of advice the more experienced members may have to offer?
    I have a good understanding of removing negative angles for casting purposes. Allowing for a good release.
    Questions that comes to mind are, how will the castings differ from the original? What casting compounds are likly to enlarge or reduce? What's a good neck plug design. Just all over trouble shooting the design approach. Any advice?
    Last edited by dr_cyclops; Dec 25, '09, 4:36 PM.
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

Started my first head tonight. I decided to go with "Hawkgirl".

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>how will the castings differ from the original?

Depends what you use. I make my molds from GI-1000 silicone, and fill 'em with Easyflo 60. The copies are really close to the originals. (On some you can see detail loss if you look REALLY hard.) I mix the silicone for a longer cure time, that way more air is released. Go for a silicone with longer pot life too. (Same reason.)

>What casting compounds are likly to enlarge or reduce?

....uh.... This I can't help with, since I always use the same stuff and it doesn't really do either.

>What's a good neck plug design.

I got a head from Palitoy that had a 4-pin type plug; a lip notched to the compass points, and it worked real good. So that's how I usually do mine. There are a LOT of ways to do a neck plug though.

Don C.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

Thanks Don.
        Over x-mas, my younger brother Darin dug up what was left of his mego collection. Batman, Robin and Fonzie. Since my stuff is still lost in my garage, This saved me some effort.
        The Hawkgirl head looks awful. Wouldn't post a pic right now if I could.
        Anyone wondering if "Said skills, can pay the bills." Take a moment and check out my CAF gallery: Comic Art Gallery of DOCTOR CYCLOPS at ComicArtFans.com

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

Very nice stuff, Doctor. I have no doubt you'll do very, very well with Mego-scale heads.

There's no telling what you could accomplish if you had a second eye.

Scott
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
            Formerly known as Del
            • Dec 12, 2004

I'm actually digging that Mxy you sculpted. How big is he? If you want to practice molding Mego-scale heads, he'd be a good start. If he would fit a child-size Mego body(such as Little Rascals), you could make a copy of just the head, fashion a neckplug, and go from there.
            Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
            https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
            http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by del
              I'm actually digging that Mxy you sculpted. How big is he? If you want to practice molding Mego-scale heads, he'd be a good start. If he would fit a child-size Mego body(such as Little Rascals), you could make a copy of just the head, fashion a neckplug, and go from there.
              Mxys is in scale with the kenner figures. Maybe a little bigger but not much. Probably the size kenner would have made him to go with their line. You know how companies will most often make the smaller characters some what bigger?
              Anyway, long story short, I never found someone to make a mold for him. After years of my older brother asking when I was going to make castings, I ended up giving Mxyz to him. He lives in Alaska now.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                Formerly known as Del
                • Dec 12, 2004

Well, that would be way too small for Mego, but this would be the perfect time to do another one, slightly bigger.
                Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                  MeGoing
                  • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by Random Axe

There's no telling what you could accomplish if you had a second eye.

Scott
                  Funny Scott! :D

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                    One eyed, wonder
                    • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by del
                    Well, that would be way too small for Mego, but this would be the perfect time to do another one, slightly bigger.
                    I could even begin the project without a body choice to set the scale.

Axe,
                    No worries man, I kept the good one.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                      One eyed, wonder
                      • Dec 17, 2009

I am sad to say that the Hawkgirl head has been lost. I was working on it a few nights back at the bar. Then I got real drunk (I do this all the time). So it turns out that this billionare international psycho has been following my wife around. Apparently he found out how happy I was and decided to cause me as much pain as he could. He talked in an accent like German or Russian or somethin'. So anyway, as I'm sanding away on the scupture, he pulls out this high-tech silent gun and tries to kill her. Spotting this from across the room and using my special one-eyed powers, I threw the sculpture to deflect the assassin's bullet. The good news, I saved my wife! Sadly the sculpture was blown to pieces. Nevertheless, it was was well worth it.
                      Well anyway, long story short, I hope to have pictures up in the "works in progress" board tonight of my "Lady Falcon".

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                        MeGoing
                        • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                        I am sad to say that the Hawkgirl head has been lost. I was working on it a few nights back at the bar. Then I got real drunk (I do this all the time). So it turns out that this billionare international psycho has been following my wife around. Apparently he found out how happy I was and decided to cause me as much pain as he could. He talked in an accent like German or Russian or somethin'. So anyway, as I'm sanding away on the scupture, he pulls out this high-tech silent gun and tries to kill her. Spotting this from across the room and using my special one-eyed powers, I threw the sculpture to deflect the assassin's bullet. The good news, I saved my wife! Sadly the sculpture was blown to pieces. Nevertheless, it was was well worth it.
                        Well anyway, long story short, I hope to have pictures up in the "works in progress" board tonight of my "Lady Falcon".
                        Thanks for the laugh. I needed one!

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• HapSlash
                            Tribal Witchdoctor
                            • Nov 18, 2009

wow,.. you lead an interesting life for sure. The ast time I lost a sculpt I was working on, it was because I sneezed and knocked it onto the floor without noticing... as I sat watching a movie later, I felt something squishy under my toes......

luckily when I went to remake it, it came out better than before.
                            ALL HAIL MING!

A slapped together sample of my work:
                            HapSlash's Image Slideshow

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by HapSlash
                              wow,.. you lead an interesting life for sure. The ast time I lost a sculpt I was working on, it was because I sneezed and knocked it onto the floor without noticing... as I sat watching a movie later, I felt something squishy under my toes......

luckily when I went to remake it, it came out better than before.
                              I can so believe your story.
                              Sadly, as unbelievable as my story is, I was there! Really drunk, but there. Possibly passed out, but there. Maybe dreaming at said time, But there.
                              OK, maybe I wasn't there.
                              But I do know this; Alcohol always improves my "Special One-Eyed Powers".
                              Remaking it can really work wonders. "Lady Falcon" has really moved along. I decided to sculpt a "Captain Eagle". Who could ever forget those classic characters. Justice Buddies wouldn't have been the same team without them.
                              Last edited by dr_cyclops; Jan 6, '10, 4:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎