X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryPlaysWithDolls
    Mighty Man/Monster Maker
    • Aug 14, 2007

headshrinking with acetone

Anyone ever try to shrink a solid head with acetone? I mean one this is solid vinyl rather than hollow.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
    https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

what happens with acetone in a hollow vinyl head is the acetone, is absorb threw the surface then expands the matrix of the plastic when taken out of the acetone bath the acetone in the head evporates rapidly from the plastic causing the thin plastic structure to contract, smaller than it orginial size due to the loosening and resturcting the chemical bonds, and the air pockets between the molecules become smaller and compact.
    a solid head might not get full penatration of the acetone , if you do the contraction might not be uniformed do to the absences of a hollow in the head to allow the shrinkage.
    Last edited by AAAAA; Dec 18, '09, 6:26 PM.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
      WANTED for card bending
      • Apr 26, 2008

umm yeah...what he said.
      for a better rate of success, consider hollowing it out.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
        Mighty Man/Monster Maker
        • Aug 14, 2007

Man, I didn't think of hollowing it out. Good idea!

Technically, it is COMPLETELY solid it has a bit of a neck hole.

Thanks for the science, I've wondered why it worked that way (when it worked at all)

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

I've had good and bad experiences with this. I have even followed the tutorials that are all over. We'll never really know what really works properly (judging on materials of the head and the amount of Acetone) Acetone sucks and does not work for me but I have a good idea how to shrink them.

As a young lad, I accidentally shrunk a Mego Robin head down to Lion Rock size by goofing around and dropping it in that gel stuff you used to remove oil based paints from objects.

Here it is. Get some of this stuff. Pour it in a small glass. It has a gel based type of liquid so it is thick. Watch out (wear gloves) because it kind of burns a bit to some people who have sensitive skin. Doesn't bother me but everyone is different.

Drop the mego head into it. Wait about three or four days (even a week to be safe) ...your head will be shrunk about a size down.

After the head has been in there. Put on some rubber gloves, fish it out and wash it off with cool water. Set it on your sink and wait a bit....make sure you wash that stuff off really good.
          Dispose of that stuff in the glass in a really good drain and wash the glass out with strong chemicals or whatever you got.

I kept the Robin head and resculpted the hair and saved it for 15 years and added it to a Lion Rock sized Tim Drake Robin.

I recently dropped a Dr. Mego "blond youth" head (Robin head with no mask and blond hair head offered by Dr. Mego on his site) in Acetone once. It literally blew it up three times the size. I took it out and it shrunk back down to the normal size with a giant crack up the back of the head.

Not sure really what works...
          Last edited by Cosmicman; Dec 18, '09, 6:57 PM.
          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

Doc's heads are not hollow enough
            and yes the type of vinyl also a factor

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
            I've had good and bad experiences with this. I have even followed the tutorials that are all over. We'll never really know what really works properly (judging on materials of the head and the amount of Acetone)

As a young lad, I accidentally shrunk a Mego Robin head down to Lion Rock size by goofing around and dropping it in that gel stuff you used to remove oil based paints from objects. I will have to ask my Uncle what that stuff was.
            Two days later it shrunk that Robin head....I kept the head and resculpted the hair and saved it for 15 years and added it to a Lion Rock sized Tim Drake Robin.

I recently dropped a Dr. Mego "blond youth" head (Robin head with no mask and blond hair head offered by Dr. Mego on his site) in Acetone once. It literally blew it up three times the size. I took it out and it shrunk back down to the normal size with a giant crack up the back of the head.

Not sure really what works...

Comment

• Cosmicman
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by AAAAA
              Doc's heads are not hollow enough
              and yes the type of vinyl also a factor
              I just talked to my Uncle and found out what that stuff was that works on original Mego heads. Scroll up and re-read my post.

Yes, Dr. Mego heads will not work in Acetone. Never tried them in the Zip strip though.
              More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                • Aug 14, 2007

I'm going to have to invest in some hydrospan/shrink or just stop messing with it and use the heads I already have.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎