X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkey tennis
    "Kiss my face."
    • Jun 8, 2007

Secret toy collecting at work

I work at a underground station and yesterday two members of staff came to my station and saw my copy of John Bonavita's Mego book, both looked inside saying that they haden't heard of Mego and then both said
    "I had that one, and that one and..."
    "Did Mego make all of these ?"
    Then it turned out that both were secret toy collectors one collected Action Man the other Star Wars. They said that they didn't tell anyone that they collected toys, like it is a guilty secret. I have had Star Wars and Black Hole figures standing at the window whilst I was selling tickets and Men and Women in their 30's / 40's have quite often said that they have some of them...in their packets. So my Mission is to promote Mego to staff and customers alike.
    Also today whilst writing this another member of staff saw the book and she to is a toy collector yet she had never heard of Mego but has a black knight in it's packet.
    So maybe we should all bring a Mego to work (show and tell)
    "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I was secretive at work until about 5,000 mego cards arrived there one day. The printer had taped the cards to the top of the box and everyone there got a gander....
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

EVERYONE I work with knows about my plastic predilection. Because I have a small, apartment mailbox, I have my packages delivered to work. I don't even try to hide my Megos when I open a package in the office. Its even got to the point where the receptionist is pretty good at sperating the video and dvd resume packages I get with the much more important goodies I get from eBay and you guys.

On a side note, a few weeks back a steam pipe exploded here in NY, ripping open a huge hole in the street during rush hour. Needless to say, we went into breaking coverage mode and did continuing coverage (at first we didn't know what exploded on a midtown street). After about an hour of running around the newsroom, someone mentioned to me it was not a terrorist attack and that I could feel safe enough to put down my little doll. I had forgotten I was taking a Conan, axe and all, out of a box in my office when the explosion occurred. I went into the newsroom with it and got caught up in the action.
      Last edited by Wee67; Aug 22, '07, 9:44 AM.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

That must have been a sight to see. Running around with Conan in your hand.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• batmanmc
          mego batman collector
          • Jun 22, 2004

i tell everyone . i collect toys . i even show them the mego museum. mike

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I tell everyone too but the facts are that most people won't say anything ,just so that they don't sound like geeks
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• JDeRouen
              Author of Small Things
              • Jun 14, 2001

My office is covered with Megos! Of course, my office is at home...
              --
              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

I don't hide the fact that I collect toys either. People either accept it or don't. MOst are cool and keep theirs eyes out for anything I might be interseted in.
                Funny story Bill.

Comment

• kresge1
                  Museum_Bozo
                  • Jun 20, 2001

I work with all girls,and i get the classic reponse "you play with dolls" then i have to educate them on the mego history and the current state of the hobby
                  Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• JDeRouen
                    Author of Small Things
                    • Jun 14, 2001

There's nothing to be ashamed of.
                    --
                    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Dave Mc
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 20, 2002

I don't "hide" it anymore either. I don't constantly talk about it, but I don't hide it. Most people that notice my Megos in my office think they are cool, even if they want to play "too cool" to collect themselves.

Comment

• DocDrako
                        Formerly Doc Drako
                        • Nov 11, 2004

People at work know about my Megos because I talk about them. I talk about "The guys at the Museum" all the time (and that includes those of the female persuasion as well) when making conversation. People that don't know me probably think I hang around in a Museum when I'm off work. Actually, I do! Just not the kind they most likely think about when they hear me say "The Museum". I'm not ashamed of my toys at all. I even tend to use words like "Mego-Sized" and "Mego-ish" when shopping for compatible modern stuff at stores. I wonder what people think in a toy store when they hear me say "That's totally Mego-sized" or "I bet that would work with my Megos" or even "That's totally Mego-y complete".

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Only two or three people at work know I collect Megos. It's not that I hide it, the subject just never comes up
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

Because I work w/ kids, I get to actively use my collection at work. There used to be a kid in my class named Jackson, so he became Action Jackson. I even got him started collecting AJs. My kids have seen my AJs, Star Treks and my Apes. I also babysit some of the kids, and their parents love my toy room. "Wow, I had that! I haven't seen that in years!"

Yeah, it's good to be the program director, and to work w/ kids. I can regress everyday and it's totally acceptable!
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• HermitBoy
                              The Superman Freak
                              • Feb 23, 2007

Just about everyone at my work knows about my Toy Collecting. Since most of my Toys are Superman and I have a different Superman shirt for every day of the week. (I wear them proudly) When some one new starts they introduce me saying this is Michael or you can just call him Superman like everyone else.

Great story.
                              Thanks to Technology I can be the Hermit that I am today.

www.myspace.com/mdpeel

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎