X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

Change

This was written as a response to a post on the old forum, but you can no longer respond on the old forum, so I'm posting it here:

Someone remind me again why I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours working on this thing...

No, really, I understand, I do. Change is hard. If it weren't for the problems with Ikonboard, I never would have taken the initiative to upgrade to vBulletin regardless of the features. The old is comfortable, while the new is scary.

That said, Ikonboard 2.2a hasn't been supported in many years. vBulletin IS supported, which will make a load of difference on the admin end of things.

Perhaps the change might be taken a little better by the new skin (courtesy ABMAC!) just installed at the new forum which makes it look (color-wise) a lot like over here.

At the bottom of the screen is something called the Quick Style Chooser. Its default is "Default Blue," but you can change it to "Retro Tan."

And, yes, we now have the ability to turn off the board while making upgrades. It's a wonderful thing!

Joe
    Last edited by ABMAC; May 14, '07, 1:56 AM.
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I just used the Retro Tan setting.........

NOW, i'm home

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

I went retro as well, much better, feels like ol' times indeed.

sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Ahhhh... that's better!

Now I can use orange to go w/ the retro tan. (And yes Brian, they DO still match!!)
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• mitchedwards
          Mego Preservation Society
          • May 2, 2003

Retro tan feels more like home

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Johnny
            Salty
            • Oct 1, 2003

That's great Joe. Love the retro tan. Much warmer. You are doing a hell of a job sir!!!!

Comment

• MegoSteve
              Superman's Pal
              • Jun 17, 2005

I don't mean to be a contrarian, but I guess I'm in the minority because I much prefer the new blue to the old tan color. It's cleaner and easier to read but that's just my opinion. This new board is far, far superior to that old one in every way and I'm SO GLAD the switch has finally happened.

I really appreciate what you've done to move us all to more modern board software, Joe. I wish people understood how difficult it was to get everything moved over and how much time you and Mitch (and the others involved) spent on this. Thank you, guys.

I don't want to step on any toes, but some people, myself included sometimes, have too much of a sense of entitlement and ownership over this site, and I wish that we'd all stop a minute and think about how our words affect the people that have put hundreds of hours of unpaid labor into this place before we ***** and moan about such petty issues. There's nothing like putting your labor into something for so long, only to have people whine and complain that the result isn't exactly to their personal standards.

In the greater scheme of things, whether the site is blue or tan makes absolutely no difference. It's the content that matters.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

I love this new place, and I love the blue... and I really appreciate all the hard work that has gone into making it. Thankyou.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Aaaahhh The Tan is sweet! The Power... Feels good!

Comment

• Cosmicman
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 12, 2005

Thumbs up

Joe, you'll get nothing negative from me on this. You have outdone yourself. I am glad that this forum can excel and keep people like us who are into MEGOS together instead of watching each other's backs.
                    (-cough- -cough- {m}Egocentral )
                    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• WannabeMego
                      Made in the USA
                      • May 2, 2003

I know how much work it is to set this up, so you will not get any complaints from me...

FYI: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/color_maps_intro
                      Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Flynne
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jan 22, 2003

No complaint at all, Joe. You and Mitch have done a wonder in rebuilding the boards with new bionic technology. Love it!
                        An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• JDeRouen
                          Author of Small Things
                          • Jun 14, 2001

Steve - I actually prefer the blue as well!
                          --
                          Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Agent of SHIELD
                            • May 10, 2007

I've tried them both & agree with those who said the blue is easier to read. (I think it's the white-text-on-blue which is clearer than the black-text-on-tan. More contrast.)

Comment

• Hulk
                              Mayor of Megoville
                              • May 10, 2003

All the work is much appreciated. I've been switching between the skins for a couple of days, and I like the fact that we have the option choose something that doesn't look like every other basic vBulletin install. Hopefully we will be able to get more skins in the future, there are some pretty cool ones out there, and maybe we could customize a whole new look that is unique to the Mego Museum going forward.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎