X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Sealant for paint on Mego heads?

I've got a few customs in the work that will have removable headgear, and I'd like to put some kind of sealant on the heads and the helmets so I can remove them without scuffing the paint job.

What works best? And does Wal-Mart carry anything that would work? I'll have to go out of town if they don't. Wallyworld has run every one else out, as usual.

Thanks!

Chris
    sigpic
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Clear Acrylic Sealer "Matte". Don't spray it on to thick...or the Head will come out Glossy. And spray at about 12" away.
    sigpic

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
      Mighty Man/Monster Maker
      • Aug 14, 2007

I can't remember what I was using, but I sprayed WAY too close and it just POWERWASHED the paint off that head I was working on.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
      https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Yugo
        Career Member
        • Aug 31, 2003

Sealant always looks too glossy for me.

I would just make sure to primer the head before painting and then glue some tiny pieces of foam inside the helmet.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Yugo
          Sealant always looks too glossy for me.

Not if Ya do it right. You have to go easy...and hold the Can about 12" away.
          sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks guys! I'll give sealant a shot first.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• csxernie
              choochooU grad
              • Aug 8, 2007

i use decoupage its in the acrylic section at wally. it comes close to original look.
              Ok. Orphans! Listen to Ignacio. I know it is fun to wrestle. A nice piledrive to the face... or a punch to the face... but you cannot do it. Because, it is in the Bible not to wrestle your neighbour.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Just a quick update. I saw csxernie's suggestion about decoupage, and I thought I had some at home. Turns out I didn't, but I did have the very similar product, Puzzle Saver, made by Milton Bradly. I put a super thin coating on my painted head, and it gave it a nice Mego sheen. I'd stress though that you have to be careful to put a real light coating on, as I experimented first on a beat-up Robin head, and I glopped too much on. Robin looks like he's about to have the worst acne breakout in history, due to his oily skin.

Thanks again guys!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Good Idea that You experimented first Chris...and Yeah, You have to go VERY lightly. Dave Mc taught Me that clear coat, is definately needed. He use's it on all His Head's...and they don't look too glossy.
                  sigpic

Comment

• megowgsh
                    Customego HoF Curator
                    • Nov 19, 2003

Ed Nagy and I use a spray called Rust o leum's Grip and Guard, but it has been discontinued. You could try the spray Plasti Dip and once it dries coat with some Dulcotte to get rid of the gloss.

Good Luck!
                    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎