Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which incarnation of the Doom Patrol is your favourite?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Which incarnation of the Doom Patrol is your favourite?

Mine is Grant Morrison's, followed by Geoff Johns new version as seen in the pages of Teen Titans recently.

I also always loved their appearances in Perez/Wolfman's New Teen Titans, and the vintage stuff is really cool in that retro kind of way.

I thought it was really cool when they showed up in The Teen Titans animated series.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Morrison's version was quirky and I liked it but my favorite is the original Silver Age Doom Patrol. Their early New Teen Tiatns appearances spun off of the original series and it was nice to see the book closed on that era.

And everything AFTER Morrison's run was crap IMO.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I really Like the Silver age stuff most of all.....and Really liked when they appeared in the Teen Titans animated series.....

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Arnold Drake's original. The recent series before Byrne's horrid one runs a close second. Grant Morrison's did absolutely nothing for me. It was just wierd for the sake of being wierd.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• brineb
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 26, 2006

Gotta go for the original myself.
          I also play with other dolls:
          http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

The Doom Patrol is sorta like the team version of Aquaman in that they can never seem to hold on to a title very long...too many reboots and redos. They should've stuck with the SA concept/version which ended with 3 of the 4 members being bumped off instead of bringing them all back one by one over the years. Delutes the impact of their original death issue.

Comment

• aquatroy
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 28, 2002

Morrison's. It helped bring me back to comics.
              Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• danadoll
                Micronaut Nut!
                • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                The Doom Patrol is sorta like the team version of Aquaman in that they can never seem to hold on to a title very long...too many reboots and redos. They should've stuck with the SA concept/version which ended with 3 of the 4 members being bumped off instead of bringing them all back one by one over the years. Delutes the impact of their original death issue.
                Nothing is diluted by bringing them back. Heroic deaths are still heroic deaths...Characters can always be brought back and nothing can change the fact that they were willing to give up their lives to save innocents.

I prefer the Silver Age line-up (including Mento and Beast Boy).

Dana
                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by danadoll
                  Nothing is diluted by bringing them back. Heroic deaths are still heroic deaths...Characters can always be brought back and nothing can change the fact that they were willing to give up their lives to save innocents.

I prefer the Silver Age line-up (including Mento and Beast Boy).

Dana
                  I really loved the Mento/Beast Boy dynamic in the pages of the original Doom Patrol.

It was particularly poignant when Wolfman/Perez followed through on it in the pages of The New Teen Titans. It was also very tragic and compelling what happened to Steve Dayton after Alan Moore drove him nuts in the pages of Swamp Thing.

I think this cover is awesome!
                  Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 12, '07, 1:43 PM.

Comment

• danadoll
                    Micronaut Nut!
                    • Apr 11, 2005

That is an awesome cover...That NTT issue was my first intro to the Doom Patrol...I've loved them ever since then.

Dana
                    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

What did Y'all think of Mark Waid and George Perez's potrayal of the latest incarnation of The DP?

I think appropriately creepy worked.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Where was this??
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

^ Brave and the Bold team-up with the Flash

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
                            What did Y'all think of Mark Waid and George Perez's potrayal of the latest incarnation of The DP?

I think appropriately creepy worked.
                            I'd like to see a regular DP title by Waid and Perez..without Bumblebee, Vox, etc though. Just the original core members. Interesting how Waid's dialogue refers to Beast Boy having started out with the DP when I thought Byrne's revamp had erased that fact. Liked the guest appearance by Metamorpho too. I always thought a giant anthology book with Metamorpho, the DP and the Metal Men would be a natural.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              I'd like to see a regular DP title by Waid and Perez..without Bumblebee, Vox, etc though. Just the original core members. Interesting how Waid's dialogue refers to Beast Boy having started out with the DP when I thought Byrne's revamp had erased that fact. Liked the guest appearance by Metamorpho too. I always thought a giant anthology book with Metamorpho, the DP and the Metal Men would be a natural.
                              Again explained away by Superboy Prime's Punching the walls of "reality".

In Infite Crisis, it was revealed that the discontinuity of the Doom Patrol was caused a punch thrown by Prime. A battle involving the Doom Patrol and Teen Titans during Infinite Crisis restored the previous timeline Byrne's revamp had "erased", while somehow incorporating Byrne's run as well.

I really enjoyed Geoff Johns handling of the DP in the pages of The Teen Titans, and he'd be my top choice for writer of an ongoing (unless Grant Morrison wanted to step onboard again).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎