Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To paint or not to paint Paint Original Conan Boots that is my question?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • themelodyman
    • Nov 10, 2009

To paint or not to paint Paint Original Conan Boots that is my question?

Would a pair of original Conan boots that I want to use for painting be better than painting the repros? The originals appear to have a flat finish, as opposed to repros which seems to have a more glossy finish. I want to paint them and I want the paint to stick, if it can or will. So, which is better for painting? If the originals would be better then I need a reasonbly priced pair.
    Last edited by themelodyman; Nov 15, '09, 11:07 AM. Reason: too wordy
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

If Doc Mego or CTVT don't make anything the colour you want I'd go with the repros for apinting. That way there's less heartbreak if it doesn't work out. Use a fine sandpaper on 'em first to roughen the surface. It'll help the paint stick. I'd go with a heavy spray paint too; like a Krylon or somesuch.

I'm pretty sure Doc Mego can mold you boots in almost any colour. That'd be a lot better than painting them.

Don C.

Comment

• YANOULI
      Part-Time Timelord
      • Jan 9, 2006

i've painted repro boots without any problems.
      " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• highquality
        #1 Super Guy
        • Jun 10, 2003

I'm really never for destroying original Mego parts. They aren't making any more. Plus, original Conan boots aren't exactly easy to find. Couldn't you buy the repros and possibly lightly sand them? I'm sure there's also primers to help the paint stick better.
        WorldMEGO: Where MEGOs Go! 24 Hours a Day

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by highquality
          I'm really never for destroying original Mego parts. They aren't making any more. Plus, original Conan boots aren't exactly easy to find. Couldn't you buy the repros and possibly lightly sand them? I'm sure there's also primers to help the paint stick better.
          I agree , just get repros
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Timothy2251
            Jerks beef with Ten Bears
            • Mar 15, 2008

Gotta echo everyone here - repros are the way to go, and are usually cheaper than the originals. If Dr. Mego can't mold 'em in the color you want, use a sandable primer on 'em then paint away. Throw on a protective coat and you're set!
            "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Agreed
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Cosmicman
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                Hmmmm....

If Doc Mego or CTVT don't make anything the colour you want I'd go with the repros for apinting. That way there's less heartbreak if it doesn't work out. Use a fine sandpaper on 'em first to roughen the surface. It'll help the paint stick. I'd go with a heavy spray paint too; like a Krylon or somesuch.

I'm pretty sure Doc Mego can mold you boots in almost any colour. That'd be a lot better than painting them.

Don C.
                Right!!

Yes. I have never had an issue with Paul Clarke (Dr. Mego) not being able to mold something in a certain color. He molded me a set of Ironman boots and gloves in a weird gray color for my Cyborg. Just shoot him an email, he is friendly and willing to work with your idea. He won't bite.

His email is drmego@drmego.com Pretty easy to remember.
                Remember, he is really busy. If he don't respond, send it again. Sometimes he doesn't see your email.
                Or that just could be me. Maybe he just thinks I am annoying and he deletes mine.
                Last edited by Cosmicman; Nov 15, '09, 3:28 PM.
                More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Cosmicman
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 12, 2005

I have so many original mego parts, bodies and heads that I have altered them a million times for what I have needed. Unless they are sealed one of those post nuclear war clam shells, they aren't worth spit.
                  More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• themelodyman
                    • Nov 10, 2009

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎