Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Batman titles are there currently?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

How many Batman titles are there currently?

I haven't read Batman in years, but was thinking of adding it to my list. How many titles are there currently? What ones are worth reading? Is it easy enough to jump in?

Thanks!
    Joe
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Right now I think the main titles, "Batman" and "Detective", are independent of each other so you can read one without reading the other. I prefer "Batman" myself, the Grant Morrison scripts have been pretty good and I'm looking forward to this newest arc, a take on the various Batman-inspired heroes of the 50s and 60s.

And of course, there's always the various fringe titles like "Batman Confidential", "Superman/Batman" (I've grown bored with this since Jeff Loebs left the book), "Catwoman" (not bad), "Nightwing" and "Robin".

But stay away from Frank Miller's crap-sterpiece "All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder"!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

And what about titles Batman appears in? JLA, and soon Batman and the Outsiders. He's everywhere.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

In JLA (still written by Meltzer at this point...ugh), Bats hasn't gotten much play other than flipping through pictures of potential members and his throw down with Karate Kid.
        Looking forward to the new BATO, though.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
          Stays Crunchy in Milk
          • Aug 2, 2004

There are quite a few Bat-related titles and I'd trade them all for one good one.

I'd had higher hopes for Morrison's work. Here's a complaint on the last issue of Batman - There's a pannel with a little nudity. It shows Batman and Talia embracing. It shows her backside, and her naked breast pressed against him (no nipple) Not hardcore by any means, but this is one of DC's flaggship titles. Also in a recent issue of Detective Batman pursues a criminal in a sex club.

I'm a dad with a 7 year old that loves superheroes and comics. Do what you want with 10,000 other titles, but leave a few main titles that I can let my kid see. i'd be more forgiving if the stories were worth the paper, but IMO they're not. end of rant.
          Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I'm looking forward to Morrison's new storyarc, but I will admit his previous stories haven't lived up to my hopes. Dini's Detective however has been fantastic. Mostly done in one, solid detective stories. No small feat. They are the antidote for overly decompressed storytelling running rampant in comics.

Aaron, I hear ya man. I think DC has just decided that anything goes in all their titles, save the Johnny DC line. I don't share any regular DCU titles with my son. It's kind of sad.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Airdave817
              Satellite Monitor Duty
              • May 31, 2007

Batman Titles

I mainly read The Batman Strikes! and re-read my old issues of The Batman Adventures from Batman: The Animated Series. Chris Jones and Terry Beatty do great work on the art. Chris Jones wrote the latest issue.

I've been grabbing The Batman Chronicles, Batman in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 80's - I think the only one I'm missing is the '70's. I got the trade paperback for the Paul Dini issues of Detective I think it was.

All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder is as much an abomination that the Joel Schoemacher Batman movies were.

Justice League Unlimited is a delight when Batman appears.

I've been following Catwoman mostly because of Will Pfeiffer. I'm not a big fan of Catwoman as a Mom, but he's a pretty decent writer.

I wish I could get back into mainstream Batman titles - I just can't. I like the done-in-one approach of the ones I read.
              Shameless self-promotion -
              Earth-Dave
              KROC-FM
              Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
              "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎