Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell Dilema, and Ethical Question...need opinion's please.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Sell Dilema, and Ethical Question...need opinion's please.

First let Me say...that This Custom Romulan is one of My most PRIZED Possession's...it has great deal of sentimental value! I had someone cast the Head for Me a long time ago, in Mego Flesh Color. Then a couple of Year's ago...Dave Mc Made Me this FANTASTIC Costume...and Doc Mego did the rest...with a Card By Chad Gordy.

I figured I'd never afford an Original Romulan...so this was the next best Thing. I couldn't Imagine...that They would EVER be reproduced! But now THEY ARE! So Now...I can't help thinking...that if I sell it before the REPO's come out...I might be able to pay for an entire Case of Them. So I'm really torn about this...what do You Guy's think? Opinion's please.
    sigpic
  • batmanmc
    mego batman collector
    • Jun 22, 2004

it depends on the sentimental value. if it has a lot id keep it and not chance it going cheap. if it doesn't mean that much i would sell it. mike

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Ditto. But it sounds like a lot of love and care was put into this figure, If it were me, I'd keep it, but I'd still get some repros.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

he looks great dude,But I would say sell him and get the repros if your 100% sure they will be released.
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• kresge1
          Museum_Bozo
          • Jun 20, 2001

Sell him
          Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• Captain_Mego
            Vet.
            • May 22, 2007

ok this is just me ,,but if it were me I would keep him,,I mean look at that suit ,,no repo looks that good that suit is freeking great.. Fits perfect ,no flopo suit there. I woudl put a repo head on him from a new one just becasue the vynl heads are so cool and case fresh ...lol...you can easly geta new card or him ...if not hey Im takeing in custom figures these day that need a home ...free mind you,,,lol I have no money.

Comment

• JDeRouen
              Author of Small Things
              • Jun 14, 2001

It's yours, do what you want with it. But it sounds like you don't really want to, so maybe you'd be better off keeping it.
              --
              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• mitchedwards
                Mego Preservation Society
                • May 2, 2003

If he holds alot of sentimental value, keep him. If you can sell him and not miss him, then let him go.

Its all up tp you

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• lepage
                  The Ape General
                  • Aug 12, 2001

Whats wrong with keeping it AND buying one of the repos when they come out?

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

It looks really nice, and it's your "prized possession" so you should keep it. Not to downplay the coolness of the figure and what others did to put him in your hands, but I don't know if a custom made partially with repro parts will get enough (on eBay I'm assuming) to make selling it worth your while. As someone who has sold some of her own customs and regretted it, I'd hate to see you give up something you love so much for less than you feel it's worth. If you do sell it, make sure you put a reserve price on it to prevent it from going too cheaply.
                    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

I agree. I don't think it would fetch all that much anyway.

Once its your, you can do whatever you want with it. It does seem, however, that it has some intangible value. I don't think you'd get nearly enough money to make it worth it.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hulk
                        Mayor of Megoville
                        • May 10, 2003

If you can make enough to cover a whole case of McCoy/Romulans by selling him now, I'd jump all over it. You might have done pretty well selling him before the repro's were announced, and might still do well, but I wouldn't count on that kind of return now.

Repros may have a debatable effect on an original, but I can only imagine they would have an even greater negative effect on a custom made reproduction. That is a really nice figure, but if you aren't sentimental about it, get out while the getting is good.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I say dump it now .......

Don't wait ........

That's just my opinion.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by type1kirk
                            I say dump it now .......

Don't wait ........

That's just my opinion.

I like Your decisiveness Mike! If there's a chance I could get enough Money, to buy an entire Case of Romulan's & McCoy's...I might have to go for it. I am still hoping Dave Mc will chime in...as He worked really hard on the Costume.

And thanks for the feedback Everybody!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Dave Mc
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 20, 2002

I hadn't posted a response since I was involved in the custom in question. I thought it might be viewed as biased.

As a person involved in making the thing, I have no problem with you selling it. You didn't ask for it to be made to make a profit, you didn't turn it around the moment you got it. It's yours, you paid for it, if you no longer want it, then sell it.

My involvement aside...

If it was mine I wouldn't part with it if I liked it. First, I don't think you'll get more than $100 for it. That probably isn't breaking even, and no where near enough to buy a case of new figures. It just wouldn't seem worth it to me.

I like owning cutoms others made. I kind of view it as an artform. Even if this trek line progressed, and they made a factory version of James' Gorn, which I didn't contribute to, you couldn't pry the original custom I have from me. I'd certainly pay the $15 and buy one of the factory figures, but I'd keep the hand sewn, hand painted, hand casted and sculpted original. That can't be replaced, ever. I look at it and don't just see the character, I know who made it, I appreciate the detail and the work that went into it. I place a lot more value in a one of a kind hand made figure than I do on any modern reproduction. That's just me though, and my view of a nice custom.

However, if you wanted it simply to have the character, and don't really get into the fact that it's unique and hand made, (I'm not saying that's a bad thing) then unload it. You can get at least 5 or 6 of the new repro's out of the cash you'll make.

In the end you have to determine what that piece means to you. If it's just a collection completer because you didn't want to spend the cash for an original, then unload for the repro. BUT, at this point, while it looks like it will happen, the release of that figure is not a sure thing, and once this one is sold, it's gone and you'll be left without.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎