• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

NEW DCD "Showcase Presents" Line!

Awesome news....

Set to arrive on shelves in 2008, “Showcase Presents” will consist of four figure waves, the first of which includes:

Carmine Infantino Batgirl

Curt Swan Superman

Joe Kubert Hawkman

Jonah Hex

At this time, yet subject to change, the Superman and Hawkman figures will include extra alternate heads. The Curt Swan Superman will sport heads representing Red Kryptonite transformations (a lion, etc.) and the Kubert Hawkman will feature both his pre and post-“honor wings” looks. The talented Karen Palinko has sculpted all four debut figures.
    Yes it's yet another Superman but it's a CURT SWAN Superman!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

This is great news, but it's kind of odd for a longtime DCD fan. Their previously released Silver Age Hawkman, Superman and Batgirl come close to capturing the work and style of the above artists. But they are close, but not quite. If these are dead-on (like the Swan Composite Superman from a few years ago) then it wll be fantastic. But they will have to look EXACTLY like the artist's versions in 3-D form to work.

Can't wait for pics!

And where is NEAL ADAMS BATMAN!?! C'mon DC, it's the most requested figure for the last 7 years!!!
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

The Silver Age Hawks are great but I'm hoping the Joe Kubert one while capture his sketchy style somehow.

As far as a Neal Adams Batman, I'd like to see a Neal Adams Batman wave consisting of Bats, Robin, Ra's Al Ghul, Talia, and Ubu (Ra's henchmen) from the first Ra's story arc.
      For a follow up I'd like to see The Joker, Two-Face and Man-Bat at least.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Here are pics of all but Hawkman,from Newsarama.

The Supes is close, but his face seems a bit off (may just be the angle). His "S" isn't very Swan-like. The body is dead-on.

Batgirl is very Infantino, but although she's a bit curvier/bulkier than the previous SA version, I don't know if the differences are enough to justify for most.

About time they got around to Hex. But his features seem a bit soft. I would have liked a little more detail.

Overall, despite my nitpicks, I like them, and will probably pick at least some up, just to support the idea more than anything. We need more of these!

Chris

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I really like that superman a lot
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

i like the batgirl. i like the darker costume look

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

The S on Supes should be a bit broader. Dang, the only one I wanted to see was the Kubert Hawkman.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• BlackKnight
                The DarkSide Customizer
                • Apr 16, 2005

Superman's arms look far to long,.. or are his legs to short ?

Hex is very cool,.. & Batgirl looks like she came fresh off the mego packaging.
                ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

I love 'em!

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                  Superman's arms look far to long,.. or are his legs to short ?
                  That's cause it's based on Silver Age Curt Swan Superman art and that's how he drew him back then...

Batgirl looks like she came fresh off the mego packaging.
                  The Mego BG artwork was from her first appearance by Carmine Infantino so I guess that means DCD nailed it then!

Comment

• Titan4ever
                    Museum Patron
                    • Oct 29, 2006

Maybe it's just me, but this Supes doesn't do it for me. While I always thought Swan's form was a huskier man of steel, that pic makes him look kind of chunky in the middle, IMO. Broad shouldered and barrel chested, yes, but his core looks a little too wide for my tastes. And I agree, the shield isn't sized right at all.

Batgirl looks better, but could still be curvier. After rereading her debut again as an adult, I thought she looked a heck of a lot like Belinda Carlisle of the Go-Go's. Still, I'll probably buy her.

Hex's face isn't anywhere near what it should be. I always thought he looked creepier, and this sculpt looks practically normal to me.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

Agreed,.. Sup's Looks Horrible,.. the cross between Superman & a Monkey.. I dunno, I would have never picked up that book if I saw him drawn that way.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Curt Swan's Superman:

Discuss
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                          The Packaging King
                          • Dec 31, 2004

Swan's Superman is the classic Silver Age version I always see in my mind's eye when I picture Superman....it's iconic.

Oh, and BK, I'd take Swan's art anyday over some of the "Image" guys like Liefeld! Talk about disproportioned body parts!
                          Last edited by The Toyroom; Aug 18, '07, 7:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• BlackKnight
                            The DarkSide Customizer
                            • Apr 16, 2005

That figure looks nothing like that art... If I was the artist,.. I would have never let that figure pass as "based on my art".

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                              That figure looks nothing like that art... If I was the artist,.. I would have never let that figure pass as "based on my art".
                              Yeah good luck with that....unfortunately Curt Swan has passed away.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎