X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobws
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 13, 2008

How do you attach a head properly?

I'm taking suggestions on how to attach a hard Resin( i think ) head to a Mego ( or repo) Body with out the head being loose or wobbly. by the time i sand down a neck plug it seems the head is too loose and falls out or wobbles or way too tight and can't turn. Please help. these custom heads have different bases.
    "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Some people sand the head, some cut open the neck hole on the body, some heat the body to soften it. That's if we're talking original mego bodies. Doc Mego bodies I always open up the neck hole a little because they are smaller than Mego. Personally, I sand the neck plug for fitting in normal mego bodies. The key is to not go to small. Do a little, check it, do a little more. You should still have to PUSH and WIGGLE it in. The neck plug should still be a little bigger than the hole. Still, there are time when I go a little too far and get the wobble. This is easy to fix for .99 cents. Get yourself some plumbers pipe thread tape. Wrap it around the too loose resin neck plug a time or two, and you've just fixed your problem.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Dave's suggestions are excellent; the tape will fix oversanding.

Ed Nagy (Almightysufx) does a neat thing with his custom resin heads: he dremels a slanted groove down along the plug/base, so that the plug can be "screwed" in.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

If worst comes to worst; file the neckplug right down so it fits frely into the body, attach a tiny eyebolt to the bottom and use an elasticized string tied off to the leg joints or hip bar to hold it on. (That's a good way to attach a neck that you've screwed up trying some other technique.)

Don C.

Comment

• Megospidey
          Museum Webslinger
          • Jul 26, 2006

Start making your heads Flatt-style and you'll avoid all this

Seriously, it takes practice and patience. As Dave said, you take a little off at a time until you get it where you want it. It's really more an art than a science because each head is different.

Comment

• Merlyn1976
            Fist of Khonshu
            • Mar 29, 2005

For Doc mego bodies I crack open the torso at the neckline...a little superglue and 2 part epoxy and it goes right back together...
            "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Some Apoxie if you have any handy will fix the wobble also, and it's pretty permanent and you can sand it down if you have added too much. If it falls off, you can always glue back with super glue.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• stuart
                Hi-Yo Silver Away!
                • Jun 18, 2007

I like the eyebolt/elastic method. Sand the plug down so that it fits easliy in the hole. The elastic will keep the head attached to the body and the plug will keep the head centered on the body. This way, you get movement without fear of "losing ones head".

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎