PDA

View Full Version : Where did you buy your toys?

brannon86
Aug 10, '07, 2:26 PM
Where did you (your partents) buy your toys back in the day. I got most of mine from K-Mart, Sears, or Wilsons....

Bionic Joe
Aug 10, '07, 2:47 PM
Basicaly from these three stores GRANT CITY/ J.M FIELDS/ TWO GUYS non of these stores are still in bussines today

RG
Aug 10, '07, 3:08 PM
Being in Silverton Oregon only two stores had toys, Sprouse and a local store call T-Mart (sort of a bargan store 99% of the time it sucked!)

Now about once every other week we would go to Salem, there I would get most of my toys at a northwest store chain called GI Joes until 1982 when they quit selling toys :(

Jafco (later called BEST) was one the the real hot spots for me as a kid, they had more of the hard to find figures. I got many GI Joes figure here ...it's also where I found my Crimson Guard :grin:

Wards was a place I would get an item once in a great while.

in 1985 Salem got a Toys R Us, from then on that was my main spot.

toys2cool
Aug 10, '07, 3:39 PM
mine was Toys r us, lionel playworld, there was 1 K B toys in the mall and woolworths :grin:

Hulk
Aug 10, '07, 3:43 PM
Sears Wish Book, Woolworth's, Drug Stores, wherever my mom made the mistake of taking me that also sold toys, and eventually Toys R Us

cjefferys
Aug 10, '07, 4:15 PM
I got a lot of toys, including my first Megos, at Zellers, a Canadian department store chain that still exists (but the ones near me are barely holding on against the competition from Walmart). I remember getting my first Star Wars figure from Robinsons (a Canadian dept store chain that no longer exists). Later figures were purchased mostly at K-mart and Rosbergs (an awesome old department store in downtown Niagara Falls that sadly closed up years ago. They had an amazing toy selection). Once in a while my mother took us across the border to Child's World in the US. Those stores never made it to Canada, and Toys R Us wasn't in Canada yet, so when I went to a huge toy store like Child's World, I was in absolute awe, we had no stores like that. I always wished my mother took us there more often.

toys2cool
Aug 10, '07, 4:45 PM
I got a lot of toys, including my first Megos, at Zellers, a Canadian department store chain that still exists (but the ones near me are barely holding on against the competition from Walmart). I remember getting my first Star Wars figure from Robinsons (a Canadian dept store chain that no longer exists). Later figures were purchased mostly at K-mart and Rosbergs (an awesome old department store in downtown Niagara Falls that sadly closed up years ago. They had an amazing toy selection). Once in a while my mother took us across the border to Child's World in the US. Those stores never made it to Canada, and Toys R Us wasn't in Canada yet, so when I went to a huge toy store like Child's World, I was in absolute awe, we had no stores like that. I always wished my mother took us there more often.

Yeah isn't Child's world the same thing as Playworld? I heard it was the same company,yeah all my first toys were from a local small store called Villa clara here in Miami.It's still open to this day,I swear you walk in there and it's still 1986.They have Heman figures,secret Wars,Star Wars hanging on the walls and a whole warehouse in the top floor full of vintage toys from the 70's to the early 90's it's just great stuff!! the only thing is that he knows what they are worth now so the deals aren't as good.But i'm telling you guys they even have sega master system and Nintendo games brand new sealed

Marvelmania
Aug 10, '07, 5:20 PM
Mostly from K-Mart, McCrorys,Sears, Woolworth's, JC Pennys and a few other like Ben's Sports Store, Kings, Howard Bros., Super X Drugs and they even once placed an order from Heroes World in NJ.

jwyblejr
Aug 10, '07, 5:27 PM
Jamesway and Ames mostly.

batmanmc
Aug 10, '07, 5:33 PM
childs world , toy r us and caldor. almost forgot kmart and mammoth mart. mammoth mart is where my last mego was purchaseda 3 3/4 inch capt kirk in the 70-80 era .

toys2cool
Aug 10, '07, 6:14 PM
hey i almost forgot another one,anyone ever go to Zayres? check out the Batman commercial :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npSJIi5y_g

VintageMike
Aug 10, '07, 6:59 PM
Toys R' Us, Sears, Child World, Bradlees, Service Merchandise, and a local place called the Toy & Sport Warehouse. That place rocked!

HardyGirl
Aug 10, '07, 8:00 PM
My mom used to buy toys from Macy's & Gimbels toy departments. My dad used to get toys from this wholesale place his friend owned. I used to buy my friends' birthday gifts at a little toy store 2 blocks away from where I lived. I don't remember the name of it.:smile:

Bizarro Amy
Aug 10, '07, 10:38 PM
Hills always seemed to be the best place to get good toys. I don't know if there were any of those stores elsewhere. Maybe just around here. But to me, their jingle was one of the most memorable. "Hills is where the toys are." I remember that one even more fondly than when Toys'R'Us showed up with the "I don't wanna grow up" song. Best was another really good one. I remember when you couldn't get Cabbage Patch Kids anywhere, and my mom and I walked in there one day, and there was one sitting on the shelf, which she promptly bought for me. Man, I remember how happy I was, walking out of the store with that box in my arms.

Sweep Secondhand
Aug 13, '07, 7:00 AM
Being from a smaller town in Florida, most of my toys came from the J.C. Penney and Sears catalogs (both my mother and grandmother loved catalog shopping and this was back in the day when these were free standing stores and malls were only a rumor). We also had the general merchandise stores like K-Mart, JM Fields, and GW Grants plus a few of what we called "dime stores" like Niesner's and T,G &Y. These smaller stores had fewer Joes but carried a lot of the less expensive stuff like the Megos and army men. K-Mart was probably the best over all store for me for action figures when I was growing up.

palitoy
Aug 13, '07, 7:57 AM
Woolco, Eaton's, Sears, Hudson bay, Dominion Playworld and Pinnochio's Toys.

I also remember getting a Falcon at a baby goods store and buying my 12 back SW figures at the local Miracle Mart.

theantiquetiger
Aug 13, '07, 8:46 AM
TG&Y (Toys, Guns & Yo-Yo's), Howard Bros, K-Mart, Sears Wish Book, and drug stores.

tmthor
Aug 13, '07, 8:51 AM
Most of these places don't exist any more but

Child World (Gone)
Kings Castle Land Toy shop (Gone)
Bradlee's (Gone)
Caldors (Gone)
Ames (Gone)
Zayre's (Gone)
Hills (Gone)
Kings (Gone)
JM Feilds (Gone)
Mr Biggs Toyland (Gone)
Toys R Us
KB Toys
Toy Liquidators
Woolworths (Gone) (Also the best place to get KO's)

Sweep Secondhand
Aug 13, '07, 12:59 PM
I don't know how I could have done so, but I sincerely apologize for forgetting TOY KING! It was one of only two actual toy stores we had in my town and the other, Jack & Jills, tanked when I was still fairly young. My grandmother always took me in TK because it was right next to the Publix supermarket she always bought groceries in. Even though it had to be the very early 70's, I disctinctly remember seeing the Remco Lost in Space robot in it's box on one of their shelves. Either this place had some really old stock or Remco kept pumping these things out after the show was long gone. I used to get my Johnny West, Billy Blastoff, and even a few Ding-A-Ling robots there. TK was some type of Florida chain because I remember seeing them in other cities. The one by me finally closed it's doors in the mid 1980's. Damn I miss that place!

Wee67
Aug 13, '07, 4:24 PM
I don't care how many times this question comes up, I love saying it - Kiddie City!

A great name. I even remember hating Toys R Us when they seemed to replace them in the landscape.

I also love this topic because someone awlays brings up another favorite discount department store- Two Guys. What a great 70's name! The one by me even had an arcade near the greasey cafeteria with awesome pinball machines like Lost World.

batmanmc
Aug 13, '07, 4:32 PM
wooolco and zayre i forgot about those two. my favoite store thats gone now was caldor. mike

EmergencyIan
Aug 13, '07, 5:58 PM
K-Mart, Ayr-Way, Woolco, Woolsey's, Sears, Kuester's, Children's Palace, K-B Toys, Service Merchandise, Target and Hills. There was also this great and huge toy store in St. Louis called: The Toy Chest. I think it was the first toy store of that size that i had ever been inside (visiting friends of the family). It was amazing! I remember getting the Mego pocket hero Batman and Robin with the Batmobile (I played with them forever) there and also getting a Fisher Price Adventure People set there. It was the boat with the divers and the sharks...very cool, too!

- Ian

Bionic Joe
Aug 14, '07, 3:26 PM
I don't care how many times this question comes up, I love saying it - Kiddie City!

A great name. I even remember hating Toys R Us when they seemed to replace them in the landscape.

I also love this topic because someone awlays brings up another favorite discount department store- Two Guys. What a great 70's name! The one by me even had an arcade near the greasey cafeteria with awesome pinball machines like Lost World.

Wow how can i have forgotten KIDDIE CITY, glad i'm not the one to rember TWO-GUYS i rember as a kid the TWO-GUYS in MARLTON N.J always had a great selection of gi-joe and megos

grayhank
Aug 14, '07, 3:41 PM
I think some of these were New England based, but it's what I remember:

K-Mart
Zayre's
Bennie's
JJ Newbury's
Woolworths
Sears
McCrory's
Jordan Marsh
Apex
Ann & Hope

saildog
Aug 14, '07, 5:22 PM
Local
Ben Franklin
OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company)
TG&Y
Wal-Mart

Four times a year (Meaning a trip to Oklahoma City)
Sears
JC Penny
Service Merchandise
Hobby Lobby (Tamiya Models...the best!)

GSPUSA
Aug 15, '07, 12:41 PM
Sears, TG&Y, Toys r Us , K-Mart, China Mart oh I mean wal mart, Perry's, Toys By Roy

nvmbrsdoom5
Aug 16, '07, 11:23 PM
Gosh I bought toys from so many different places, and it's funny how many of them aren't around anymore, at least not in my area....

Sears toy department and the Wishbook catalog were big for me, bought many toys of all kinds through there.
JcPenny and Service Merchandise catalogs were another mainstay.
The Toys R Us in South Chicago (that was called Bargain Town Toys R Us for some reason), Calumet City, and the one in Merrillville, were favorites of mine. As well as the KayBee and Child's World stores in Merrillville.
Kresge and K-Mart were some early places I bought alot of toys from I recall.
Venture and Zayre....I specifically remember getting alot of Star Wars and 3-3/4 GI Joes from there in the early 80s.
In my immediate neighborhood, I often bought toys (especially Mego, SW, and 12" GI Joes) from Tru-Value and Ben Franklin. I remember buying quite a few SW figures from the Jewel/Osco down the street, but I think they stopped carrying them by the time ESB came out.
I even managed to order some figures from Heroes World catalogs as well!

The Sentry
Aug 17, '07, 9:16 PM
K-Mart, Hecks, The Toy chest, Arden's, Children's Palace, Toy Magic, Ben Franklin, Murphy's Mart, and Hills. No Toys 'r' us when I was little round here. *sighs* but We got 2 now near me! :yeah:

kresge1
Aug 17, '07, 11:31 PM
Sears and Two-guys

MIB41
Aug 18, '07, 6:31 AM
The hot spot in Louisville back in the 70's was Thornbury's toys (must of been more of a local chain). They had one in a mall and one free standing. I can picture walking into each store even to this day. I got everything there from my first Torch to the infamous KISS figures. Another name I haven't seen mentioned is Roses. I got my first Spider-man figure there. It was the only time my dad ever actually went out and bought one for me (it was always my mother when it came to toys - my dad pretty much resented the idea of me playing with action figures but I loved them anyway). I got alot of GI Joe stuff from Ayr-way. Still have my talking commander from 1972 with the Ayrway tag on the box! That was a Santa Claus gift though (I guess Santa had to make a quick stop that night...:wink:). Of course the Sears wish book also produced a number of Joe items as well. I think that was the kid-standard in the early to mid '70s for Christmas shopping.

Kmart is where I saw my first ever RC Batman. I'll never forget that day because it was mostly him and Robin on this circular display rack. I remember the clothes being really loose fitting on them initially and the masks were on every way but the right way (but I loved them anyway- have five right now). Toy's R US and Children's Palace moved in during the late 70's and that eventually ran Thornbury's out of business. Interesting enough I saw Megos in Children's Palace as late as the mid-80's before they were phased out. They were imports but it was pretty easy in those days to walk in and get a Batman, Robin or Hulk figure for about four dollars and change. They also had the 12 inch figures in abundance (Batman, and Captain America were the most common). Great memories!:smile:

LadyZod
Aug 18, '07, 5:42 PM
Let's see... I split my childhood between Queens, NY and Miami, FL, so places vary.

Up north:
-Odd Lots
-Service Merchandise
-Alexander's
-Times Square (department store on Linden Blvd not in actual Times Square in Manhatten)
-The hardware store my dad would go to on Sunday (mego Dukes)
-tiny asian stores carrying KO's and Transformers, years before Transformers hit the US in Jackson Heights and Jamaica
-tiny toystore on Liberty Ave

Down South:
-Villa clara
-Woolsworth (on Miami Beach)
-Zayre/Ames (various)

Interesting aside, the first time I ever set foot in a Toys R Us or Lionel's Playworld was when I was 15 years old; and even then it was with friends. My parents never took me to one.

EmergencyIan
Aug 18, '07, 10:18 PM
The hot spot in Louisville back in the 70's was Thornbury's toys (must of been more of a local chain). They had one in a mall and one free standing. I can picture walking into each store even to this day. I got everything there from my first Torch to the infamous KISS figures. Another name I haven't seen mentioned is Roses. I got my first Spider-man figure there. It was the only time my dad ever actually went out and bought one for me (it was always my mother when it came to toys - my dad pretty much resented the idea of me playing with action figures but I loved them anyway). I got alot of GI Joe stuff from Ayr-way. Still have my talking commander from 1972 with the Ayrway tag on the box! That was a Santa Claus gift though (I guess Santa had to make a quick stop that night...:wink:). Of course the Sears wish book also produced a number of Joe items as well. I think that was the kid-standard in the early to mid '70s for Christmas shopping.

Kmart is where I saw my first ever RC Batman. I'll never forget that day because it was mostly him and Robin on this circular display rack. I remember the clothes being really loose fitting on them initially and the masks were on every way but the right way (but I loved them anyway- have five right now). Toy's R US and Children's Palace moved in during the late 70's and that eventually ran Thornbury's out of business. Interesting enough I saw Megos in Children's Palace as late as the mid-80's before they were phased out. They were imports but it was pretty easy in those days to walk in and get a Batman, Robin or Hulk figure for about four dollars and change. They also had the 12 inch figures in abundance (Batman, and Captain America were the most common). Great memories!:smile:

If you were in our part of the country (Indiana/Kentucky) and a kid in the 70s, you had to love Ayr-Way! MIB41, do you happen to remember the big bags of cotton candy on the ceiling? :licklips:

- Ian

Captain
Aug 18, '07, 10:24 PM
The lions-share of my toys came from Woolco and K-mart, but I got lots of stuff at Tops in Toys (who died almost overnight when toysRus and Walmart hit Western Canada), Consumers Distributing (ditto), Zellers, and dear old Mom seemed to help Santa out with items from the Sears Canada Wishbook.
For a very brief time, we had a British based store--Marks and Spencers that carried (some Palitoy carded) Megos too, but they were way more expensive there than anywhere else, and I can only recall being lucky enough to snag a Spock (regular Mego card) there. alas, Marks and Spencers didnt last very long.

Nowadays, the pickins' are pretty slim. Toys R Us is the main place. Wal-Mart --who always has the messiest toy departments I've ever seen in my life, and never seem to restock until September? ...and Zellers, who always seem to have three or four year old toy lines on the shelf, and it's always the stuff nobody wanted when new!? I guess there is still Sears too, but they only have full toy departments at Christmas now.

MIB41
Aug 19, '07, 8:31 AM
If you were in our part of the country (Indiana/Kentucky) and a kid in the 70s, you had to love Ayr-Way! MIB41, do you happen to remember the big bags of cotton candy on the ceiling? :licklips:

- Ian

OMIGOD...Now that you mention it Ian...YES! I had forgotten all about that. I checked the price tag this morning on my talking Joe (my parents sometimes forgot to take the tags off Santa items) and the 1972 price was $6.67 (go figure). Only in the 70's could a retailer come up with a price like that! I guess when you think about it that was pretty pricey for 1972. All things considered, prices have been pretty good for most figure lines since then. Here we are 35 years later (:terror:) and a retro AT GI Joe is only ten dollars...That's really not bad! Thanks for the flashback Ian. That was great!

txteach
Aug 19, '07, 8:42 AM
Caldors, 2 guys, Kresges, Bradlees, Childworld. It's really interesting that all of these stores do not exist any more.

The Bat
Aug 19, '07, 8:12 PM
Kmart, Child World, Woolworth, & Zare.:smile:

EmergencyIan
Aug 19, '07, 9:06 PM
OMIGOD...Now that you mention it Ian...YES! I had forgotten all about that. I checked the price tag this morning on my talking Joe (my parents sometimes forgot to take the tags off Santa items) and the 1972 price was $6.67 (go figure). Only in the 70's could a retailer come up with a price like that! I guess when you think about it that was pretty pricey for 1972. All things considered, prices have been pretty good for most figure lines since then. Here we are 35 years later (:terror:) and a retro AT GI Joe is only ten dollars...That's really not bad! Thanks for the flashback Ian. That was great!

You're welcome! I'm glad someone else remembers Ary-Way, like I do. :grin:

- Ian

Goblin19
Aug 19, '07, 10:05 PM
Children's Palace was number one, followed by Kiddie City, Uncle Bill's, Gold Circle, and K-Mart.

mego boy CA
Aug 19, '07, 11:07 PM
True Value, K-Mart, Thrifty, and local Pharmacy.

toys2cool
Aug 19, '07, 11:23 PM
Let's see... I split my childhood between Queens, NY and Miami, FL, so places vary.

Up north:
-Odd Lots
-Service Merchandise
-Alexander's
-Times Square (department store on Linden Blvd not in actual Times Square in Manhatten)
-The hardware store my dad would go to on Sunday (mego Dukes)
-tiny asian stores carrying KO's and Transformers, years before Transformers hit the US in Jackson Heights and Jamaica
-tiny toystore on Liberty Ave

Down South:
-Villa clara
-Woolsworth (on Miami Beach)
-Zayre/Ames (various)

Interesting aside, the first time I ever set foot in a Toys R Us or Lionel's Playworld was when I was 15 years old; and even then it was with friends. My parents never took me to one.

Dude how cool is that,you went to the same Villa Clara i went to,do you know they list items on ebay?

LadyZod
Aug 21, '07, 12:39 AM
Did not know about ebay. Weird.

brannon86
Aug 21, '07, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah, sometimes Sears, Ace Hardware, and JC Pennys. And also a place I remember, which is actually still in business, which I cant believe. A place called the PLAYPEN, which had an awesome toy selection. One of the best Star Wars displays I ever saw back then....

kingdom warrior
Aug 21, '07, 1:17 PM
I had a lot of local merchants who carried Megos in the 70's it was a popular toy and many stores had them in my old neighborhood to my Mother's dismay...Thank goodness she knew this would sedate me and so she would buy me them to keep me out of her hair.
But there were stores that had the most and I would look forward to going to.

Rico's Toy store-...now a 99 cent store it was abandoned since the mid eighties someone in the past year bought the property and reopened the store I've been planning to go back just to see the inside of the store.

Buy Rite Department store-.....This was the other big store in my old neighborhood....tons of mego's they had their Mego's behind an elevated glass shelf. A worker would be on a ladder during the christmas season and he would bring down whatever figure you were going to buy. This was done during The Box era to avoid people from stealing them.

WoolWorths-I got many Megos here and many DC treasury editions
Toys r us
JcPenny
Korvettes

toysrus
Aug 26, '07, 2:10 AM
For me it was mainly toys r us - look at my name. When I was 18 I found out that many toys had value $$$, and I heard a rumor that the toys r us in my neighborhood had a huge warehouse that had old toys just sitting there. To make a long story short back in 1988 I got a part time job at that toys r us, it took me like 4 months to be moved from the floor to the warehouse, anyway the old toy in the warehouse rumor was true, to an extent. I found 2 micronauts, but not on the micronaut card, some other name, it was a time traveler. I also found some old GI-joes from 1984 or so, and some baseball cards dated back 8 years, now since they were not new merchandise the store had to put them in clearance, I knew the lady who took care of that, she priced them at 99 cents each, I bought all of them plus the baseball cards. I sold most of that stuff on ebay. The micronauts sold for 100 bucks each.

I ended up working there another 7 months or so, hiding toys that I thought might someday hold value, when they didn't I left them there, I did have first picks though when the cases of new toys came in. Eventually I got tired of my boss, and went to lunch at burger king and never returned to that job until it was pay day to get my check. I can still remember eating dinner that night , the phone rang, it was toys r us, my Dad said oh he quit- bye and hung up!!

Enough of my toys r us life story, I also found many toys at Korvettes, consumers, sears & TSS.

toys2cool
Aug 26, '07, 11:40 AM
For me it was mainly toys r us - look at my name. When I was 18 I found out that many toys had value $$$, and I heard a rumor that the toys r us in my neighborhood had a huge warehouse that had old toys just sitting there. To make a long story short back in 1988 I got a part time job at that toys r us, it took me like 4 months to be moved from the floor to the warehouse, anyway the old toy in the warehouse rumor was true, to an extent. I found 2 micronauts, but not on the micronaut card, some other name, it was a time traveler. I also found some old GI-joes from 1984 or so, and some baseball cards dated back 8 years, now since they were not new merchandise the store had to put them in clearance, I knew the lady who took care of that, she priced them at 99 cents each, I bought all of them plus the baseball cards. I sold most of that stuff on ebay. The micronauts sold for 100 bucks each.

I ended up working there another 7 months or so, hiding toys that I thought might someday hold value, when they didn't I left them there, I did have first picks though when the cases of new toys came in. Eventually I got tired of my boss, and went to lunch at burger king and never returned to that job until it was pay day to get my check. I can still remember eating dinner that night , the phone rang, it was toys r us, my Dad said oh he quit- bye and hung up!!

Enough of my toys r us life story, I also found many toys at Korvettes, consumers, sears & TSS.
Good story,so you bought the toys in 88 and sold them on ebay? So how long did you save them for? and what Joes were they? :grin: I also worked in toys r us stocking the toys and in the back stockroom in 2000,I use to be able to open the cases and take the good ones :grin: back then SLU were worth money and Star Wars figures,those were good times :grin:

toysrus
Aug 26, '07, 6:13 PM
Bought them at Toys r us back in 88. Sold the Carded micronauts last year( 2006) on ebay, the joes i sold some, may still have 2-3 more. It was the small gi-joes, i'm going to say released in 84 or so. I believe i had a cobra soldier,roadblock and air- something.But i'm not a big joe guy, i'll have to search for which ones i have left.

I held on to those toys until i needed the cash. Cant complain only paid 99 cents each and sold those carded time travelers for around 100 a pop, but they were called interchangeables.

Yep fun times at toys r us.

Good story,so you bought the toys in 88 and sold them on ebay? So how long did you save them for? and what Joes were they? :grin: I also worked in toys r us stocking the toys and in the back stockroom in 2000,I use to be able to open the cases and take the good ones :grin: back then SLU were worth money and Star Wars figures,those were good times :grin:

toys2cool
Aug 26, '07, 7:02 PM
Bought them at Toys r us back in 88. Sold the Carded micronauts last year( 2006) on ebay, the joes i sold some, may still have 2-3 more. It was the small gi-joes, i'm going to say released in 84 or so. I believe i had a cobra soldier,roadblock and air- something.But i'm not a big joe guy, i'll have to search for which ones i have left.

I held on to those toys until i needed the cash. Cant complain only paid 99 cents each and sold those carded time travelers for around 100 a pop, but they were called interchangeables.

Yep fun times at toys r us.

cool if you find those Joes let me know :grin:

toysrus
Aug 26, '07, 7:51 PM
For sure! Give me some time though. I'm currently on crutches( broke my leg last month). So its hard getting around and real hard to dig around through my many boxes of old toys.

cool if you find those Joes let me know :grin:

Jet-Jungle
Aug 27, '07, 9:51 AM
K-mart mostly it was close to my house.
Air-Way which became Target.
JC Penneys.
Sometimes if I was real lucky we would drive 40 minutes away to the greatest toystore ever CHIDRENS PALACE!
CP was the last place I ever got Mego Figures at in like 83 or 84, Mr Fantastic and the Human Torch on Spanish cards. My Grandpa was freaked out by them, he was like "I though you were over these weird dolls, are you sure you don't want some more GI JOES"?
I got 2 Mr Fantastics and turned my old Robin into Johnny Storm that night.
Wish I coulda got Ben and Sue.

Blackkryptonite
Aug 27, '07, 1:11 PM
There was a Toys By Roy at our local mall that later became KB Toys but has since gone out of business. That is where my folks bought most of my toys but K-Mart was another big one they went to back then.

Earth 2 Chris
Aug 27, '07, 1:48 PM
Mostly Ben Franklin's and Howard's for off the shelf purchases. I believe my mom did most of her Christmas shopping through Sears. We had a catalog-only store in town.

Wal-Mart came to town when I was 9. So some of my late toy purchases like Super Powers, GI Joe RAH and Transformers came from there as well.

When we ventured out of town I sometimes found things at Hecks and Hills.

Chris

EmergencyIan
Aug 27, '07, 8:38 PM
K-mart mostly it was close to my house.
Air-Way which became Target.
JC Penneys.
Sometimes if I was real lucky we would drive 40 minutes away to the greatest toystore ever CHIDRENS PALACE!
CP was the last place I ever got Mego Figures at in like 83 or 84, Mr Fantastic and the Human Torch on Spanish cards. My Grandpa was freaked out by them, he was like "I though you were over these weird dolls, are you sure you don't want some more GI JOES"?
I got 2 Mr Fantastics and turned my old Robin into Johnny Storm that night.
Wish I coulda got Ben and Sue.

Hey another Indiana guy (Hoosier) that went to Ayr-Way and got toys, too! Children's Palace's (in Evansville) ended up being another big place for me to buy toys. I too, was finding Mego's there until the late '80's: WGSH's, Greatest American Hero, CHiPs, Star Trek and Buck Rogers. :grin::smiley12:

- Ian

brannon86
Oct 9, '07, 6:49 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot Howard Brothers, and TG&Y, and JC Pennys also. When Toys R US finally came into town, I had outgrown toys by then...Well, not really, I still love toys, at 40, Ha