X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brannon86
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jul 20, 2007

Where did you buy your toys?

Where did you (your partents) buy your toys back in the day. I got most of mine from K-Mart, Sears, or Wilsons....
  • Bionic Joe
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 10, 2006

Basicaly from these three stores GRANT CITY/ J.M FIELDS/ TWO GUYS non of these stores are still in bussines today

Comment

• RG
      Removed.
      • Oct 1, 2004

Being in Silverton Oregon only two stores had toys, Sprouse and a local store call T-Mart (sort of a bargan store 99% of the time it sucked!)

Now about once every other week we would go to Salem, there I would get most of my toys at a northwest store chain called GI Joes until 1982 when they quit selling toys :(

Jafco (later called BEST) was one the the real hot spots for me as a kid, they had more of the hard to find figures. I got many GI Joes figure here ...it's also where I found my Crimson Guard

Wards was a place I would get an item once in a great while.

in 1985 Salem got a Toys R Us, from then on that was my main spot.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

mine was Toys r us, lionel playworld, there was 1 K B toys in the mall and woolworths
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

Sears Wish Book, Woolworth's, Drug Stores, wherever my mom made the mistake of taking me that also sold toys, and eventually Toys R Us

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I got a lot of toys, including my first Megos, at Zellers, a Canadian department store chain that still exists (but the ones near me are barely holding on against the competition from Walmart). I remember getting my first Star Wars figure from Robinsons (a Canadian dept store chain that no longer exists). Later figures were purchased mostly at K-mart and Rosbergs (an awesome old department store in downtown Niagara Falls that sadly closed up years ago. They had an amazing toy selection). Once in a while my mother took us across the border to Child's World in the US. Those stores never made it to Canada, and Toys R Us wasn't in Canada yet, so when I went to a huge toy store like Child's World, I was in absolute awe, we had no stores like that. I always wished my mother took us there more often.

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
              I got a lot of toys, including my first Megos, at Zellers, a Canadian department store chain that still exists (but the ones near me are barely holding on against the competition from Walmart). I remember getting my first Star Wars figure from Robinsons (a Canadian dept store chain that no longer exists). Later figures were purchased mostly at K-mart and Rosbergs (an awesome old department store in downtown Niagara Falls that sadly closed up years ago. They had an amazing toy selection). Once in a while my mother took us across the border to Child's World in the US. Those stores never made it to Canada, and Toys R Us wasn't in Canada yet, so when I went to a huge toy store like Child's World, I was in absolute awe, we had no stores like that. I always wished my mother took us there more often.
              Yeah isn't Child's world the same thing as Playworld? I heard it was the same company,yeah all my first toys were from a local small store called Villa clara here in Miami.It's still open to this day,I swear you walk in there and it's still 1986.They have Heman figures,secret Wars,Star Wars hanging on the walls and a whole warehouse in the top floor full of vintage toys from the 70's to the early 90's it's just great stuff!! the only thing is that he knows what they are worth now so the deals aren't as good.But i'm telling you guys they even have sega master system and Nintendo games brand new sealed

Comment

• Marvelmania
                A Ray of Sunshine
                • Jun 17, 2001

Mostly from K-Mart, McCrorys,Sears, Woolworth's, JC Pennys and a few other like Ben's Sports Store, Kings, Howard Bros., Super X Drugs and they even once placed an order from Heroes World in NJ.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Jamesway and Ames mostly.

Comment

• batmanmc
                    mego batman collector
                    • Jun 22, 2004

childs world , toy r us and caldor. almost forgot kmart and mammoth mart. mammoth mart is where my last mego was purchaseda 3 3/4 inch capt kirk in the 70-80 era .

Comment

• toys2cool
                      Ultimate Mego Warrior
                      • Nov 27, 2006

hey i almost forgot another one,anyone ever go to Zayres? check out the Batman commercial

Comment

• VintageMike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2004

Toys R' Us, Sears, Child World, Bradlees, Service Merchandise, and a local place called the Toy & Sport Warehouse. That place rocked!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

My mom used to buy toys from Macy's & Gimbels toy departments. My dad used to get toys from this wholesale place his friend owned. I used to buy my friends' birthday gifts at a little toy store 2 blocks away from where I lived. I don't remember the name of it.
                          Last edited by HardyGirl; Aug 11, '07, 12:31 AM.
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                            Formerly known as Del
                            • Dec 12, 2004

Hills always seemed to be the best place to get good toys. I don't know if there were any of those stores elsewhere. Maybe just around here. But to me, their jingle was one of the most memorable. "Hills is where the toys are." I remember that one even more fondly than when Toys'R'Us showed up with the "I don't wanna grow up" song. Best was another really good one. I remember when you couldn't get Cabbage Patch Kids anywhere, and my mom and I walked in there one day, and there was one sitting on the shelf, which she promptly bought for me. Man, I remember how happy I was, walking out of the store with that box in my arms.
                            Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                            https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                            http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • May 18, 2007

Being from a smaller town in Florida, most of my toys came from the J.C. Penney and Sears catalogs (both my mother and grandmother loved catalog shopping and this was back in the day when these were free standing stores and malls were only a rumor). We also had the general merchandise stores like K-Mart, JM Fields, and GW Grants plus a few of what we called "dime stores" like Niesner's and T,G &Y. These smaller stores had fewer Joes but carried a lot of the less expensive stuff like the Megos and army men. K-Mart was probably the best over all store for me for action figures when I was growing up.
                              - Sweep

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎