X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

Anyway to create this effect?

This is not mego related, but is a custom question. A number of years back I was watching the film Creature from Black Lake. I wanted to re-create the Bigfoot-like monster. I ended up using one of the smaller size Primal Rage toy figures. I glued on fake hair from a craft store and created this guy below:

however what I wanted to ask here is if there is anyway to create that mud/dirt like look as if this thing has been living in a swamp it's whole life? Originally I was going to make a small mud pit and dip the figure in, taking that the mud would cling to the fur and mat it down giving the look I was after. However I was curious if any alternate way of doing this existed without using real dirt (like maybe mixing glue with something, etc), which is why I ask here
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • AAAAA
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 28, 2005

There is cob web in a can and x-mas snow in a can
    thats the stuff you make cob webs for hollween around the house ,the other is to put snow on a x-mas tree
    there like silly sting but finer, you spray that (LIGHTLY) several times and than you spray brown s,greens (lightly) several times holding the sprayer far away so the paint would semi dry state when landing on the figures hair

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Damn ! That's as Hairy as John Farley !
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Thank you for the information (and the humor ). Now maybe I can truly finish this figure, though it has kind of grown on me for the look it has now (figure has been this way for a number of years). I might end up mixing both suggestions and see how it comes out. When I do get around to completing it will post a pic here.
        Last edited by mazinz; Sep 12, '09, 8:25 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Find some thicker waterbased paint, test it out on a spare piece of fur to make sure its the look you want. Also thorw in some dark green and maybe black to give it a bit more depth.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• stuart
            Hi-Yo Silver Away!
            • Jun 18, 2007

I say go with real mud!

Comment

• mego73
              Printed paperboard Tiger
              • Aug 1, 2003

You can also matte up the fur with hair spray or letting shampoo dry in the fur.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

Even more great suggestions. Real mud would be still be ideal but you never know really if you accidently pick up some kind of nasty bacteria that then causes a problem as it dries in with the fur which is why I am asking for alternatives.

Using hair spray is also so simple and yet it eluded me

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Couldn't you sterilize it in the microwave?

Or, get some potting soil, add water until you get the proper consistency, nuke it to kill the bugs, and apply liberally to said monster?
                  JediJaida

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I think I have the solution, bath and kitchen caulk. It comes in colors and is flexible after it dries. You should be able to comb it thru the fur to get a stringy muddied up look.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• bleit1701
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 1, 2009

I don't have an idea on the mud but I remember seeing this movie in the theatre back in the 70's. It was a cheapie but stll creeped me out a little. Jack Elam was the biggest star I think.
                      Better late than never.....

Comment

• mazinz
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by bleit1701
                        I don't have an idea on the mud but I remember seeing this movie in the theatre back in the 70's. It was a cheapie but stll creeped me out a little. Jack Elam was the biggest star I think.
                        in the movie he was not exactly covered in mud, but he did not look very clean and the hair looked matted and knotted and dirty. Pretty much they made it look like it would have been completely miserable to be this creature.

As I keep reading these suggestions the methods I might take keep on changing.

Comment

• mikeoz
                          Mego Maker
                          • Mar 9, 2007

For a matted look, you could use Elmer's glue. Maybe water it down a bit and brush it on. If you don't like the look, Elmer's glue can always be removed by soaking in water.
                          Looking for:
                          Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• mazinz
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 2, 2007

I finally took acrylic paint and painted matte black over the fur. This did work to a good degree in matting it down as well as giving it that "dirty" look. However I was really noticing that with the amount of fur, even if I trimmed most away would still be too much for something living in the swamp. I now changed this to "its" close relative. I am going to convert him into a Yeti instead and paint the fur white. This mixed already with the partial black might give a nice combo and more "believable" look due to how hairy this guy is. Once the white is painted on will show an update pic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

yeah drybrushing the white over the black fur should give it some depth, too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎