X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Viewmaster Gift Sets

My dad used to sell Viewmasters, so I've always kind of dug them. My kids can watch anything they want whenever they want, so I guess viewmasters won't be the big deal they were for me. If you look at some of them today, the amount of care that went into them is pretty noticeable.
    These gift sets were something I always wanted to have, I've never seen the "Science Fiction" pack before, anybody have it? What reels came with it.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

I had the plain non can set but my sister had the cool talking one in the canister. Can't remember which set it was. Such a simple toy that colud keep me busy for hours.
    Last edited by Marvelmania; Aug 9, '07, 1:06 PM.

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
      Museum Super Collector
      • May 18, 2007

I had the DC Superhero set in the center as a kid. I still have the reels and the viewmaster but no can. I also found a similar can for Marvel heroes at a show a few years ago. It was the non-talking version but only set me back $5! The crappy thing about the cans was you only got the reels in a little container, no booklets or sleeves. I always loved the whole package and enjoyed reading the stories as much as looking at the pictures on the reels.
      - Sweep

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

I think I still have my white plastic reel container from the Superfriends set. Love em...
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I got the DC set for Christmas one year. That accounts for me having multiples of the Batman (66 TV) and Superman sets. I still have most of the reels. I think I kept the can for a long time, but not into my teen years.

I never had the talking view master, but I did have that nifty flashlight projector.I seem to recall having Super Friends and Spidey cartrides.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

I had so many of these as a kid,I've always enjoyed them.I can't wait to have a kid so I get him some of the ones I had
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Count Creepyhead
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jul 28, 2007

I loved VMs. I never had any of the gift sets as a kid, but I have the monster set now. As a kid the one that sticks out the most was KISS. I remember being fascinated with their signatures in 3-D.

I always wanted a talking viewmaster and a double view as a kid, but Mom wouldn't buy me one. (The frown is supposed to be here)
              Last edited by Count Creepyhead; Aug 9, '07, 4:42 PM. Reason: wrong placement of smiley

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

This has got to be one of my all-time fave toys ever! It all started w/ my Talking view master gift pak I got for Christmas when I was 5. I think it was the second version of the Gift Paks that came in a lime green canister. This was before they started doing themes. The just put one reel from six differnt sets in it. I had: Popeye, Apollo Moon Landing, Scenic USA, Nursery Rhymes, Switzerland & Birds Of The World. I literally wore out the motor and the Popeye reel. When the records started breaking, I used the reels in my plain VM I got a year later. I found my gift pak, in pristine condition on Ebay 2 years ago, along w/ a lot of reels (sets and seperates). My class loves view masters. I have a large set of more recently made reels (non talking), and they love looking at them and talking about what they're "watching" .

When I taught pre-school, my class had that projector and a bunch a cool old reels. We'd love to make cars out of old cardboard boxes and play "drive-in theatre".

And the Space Man set had the Star Trek Animated, (which I have), and I believe Buck Rogers, (got that one too!). I don't remember what else it contained.

And I have that FP Drive-In Theatre at the bottom of the page!
                Last edited by HardyGirl; Aug 9, '07, 8:48 PM.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• batmanmc
                  mego batman collector
                  • Jun 22, 2004

i loved the view master as a kid.. today i think they are cool and wouldnt mind finding a giftset of batman or spiderman.

Comment

• mazinz
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 2, 2007

WOW! I never knew they had a sound projector. I still have a ton of this stuff. Actually my old viewmaster reels were one of the main reasons I bought my new photo scanner. Nothing wrong with preserving this old film type
                    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2007

I have always enjoyed Viewmaster and I received the DC Superhero set and the monster one when I was a kid. I remember seeing the Disney Viewmaster gift pack but not the science fiction one.
                      Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• DocDrako
                        Formerly Doc Drako
                        • Nov 11, 2004

I had that blue electric one. It was great watching them projected on my wall. Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, and many others projected life size was awesome! I need to get another one. I still have alot of my original reels. Batman (1966, the one with Catwoman), Superman vs The Computer Crook, Spider-Man (Doc Ock is in this one), Superman The Movie, an old Europe one that showed places of interest in, you guessed it Europe, Meteor, and many others. They're in my dresser drawer right now. I need to check them out again. I even have some newer reels like Jurassic Park, Michael Jackson's Thriller, Batman Forever, and so many others that I can't remember right now.

View Master RoCkS!
                        "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

I always liked View Master's a lot, but I remember being fascinated with those Talking View Masters. I don't remember if I had many of the talking ones, but those I do remember having are the super heroes and ADAM-12!

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 1, 2005

Loved the viewmaster reels! I had alot of Disney ones when I was really young, I recall. I also had that handheld thing with the yellow catridges where you turned the crank on the side and watched a short moving clip through the viewfinder. Again, I think they were all Disney ones that I had.

My absolute favorite Viewmasters to this day though are the KISS reels. I don't have them anymore, unfortunately. But before I had any video tapes of KISS, I had to rely on my Viewmaster reels and my imagination, and I would sit there and look at my reels and crank up my Double Platinum 8-track tapes. Ah the good old days.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

Super Sounds View Master

I just bought my class the Super Sounds VM today. This is the 4th incarnation of "talking" view masters. There not as good as the originals, b/c they're mostly sounds w/ a sprinkling of dialogue. But the one thing I do like is that the reels will fit in the standard viewers. The selection isn't that great, but my class enjoys them.
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎