Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving Megos as gifts to non-collectors...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Giving Megos as gifts to non-collectors...

I'm trying to decide whether to give my sister-in-law some original Megos or to put them together out of repro parts. I honestly don't know whether she'll want to keep them for herself or give them to her son when he's old enough. (He's due to be born next month!) She and my husband had a few Mego figures as kids, mostly purchased from yard sales and thrift stores at that time. She doesn't collect them, although she does like superheroes and is the proud owner of my first real Mego custom, Catwoman in her purple dress. I'm sure that one will stay on the shelf.
    I've also heard about a chemical that leaks out of some of the older Mego heads. Would it be safer just to assemble some custom heroes with the assumption that the little guy will eventually get his hand(and mouth) on them? Are the repro bodies durable enough for a kid to play with?
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

If you're not 100% sure she'll like it I'd go with a repro/custom figure, in case she gives it to her son. If she likes those you could always get her an original later. Or could give her a more common original figure.
    I believe Doc Mego's bodies are heavier and sturdier, those would be better suited for playing I think. Avoid CTVT at all cost, those will fall apart within minutes of being played with
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

i woud give a custom repo. if she liked it give her an original later. mike

Comment

• monkey tennis
        "Kiss my face."
        • Jun 8, 2007

Maybe you could give a custom repro with the first letter of the child on the custom's costume, kids love that kinda stuff.
        It might force the Mego take-up.

Althought it does say not suitible for under ages 3? 6? (Can't remember)
        "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

I'd give the repro ones as well,I'm sure she'll appreciate it just the same
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jds1911a1
            Alan Scott is the best GL
            • Aug 8, 2007

DOc megos are great well manufactured and good price points.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎