Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you think of Shazam Monster Society of Evil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

What did you think of Shazam Monster Society of Evil?

Now that the series has wrapped up, what is the general consensus about Jeff Smith's reimagined Shazam: year 1 series?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • aquatroy
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 28, 2002

I liked it quite a bit. It had a great spirit to it. However, I didn't know why Smith felt the need to reinvent the wheel and the last two issues were a bit thin. There should have been more about Mr Mind, his motivation, what the giant robot things were, How did Billy's actions in the Rock of Eternity cause the problems to begin with, ect.

BTW, I just read somewhere that MSoE is going to be used as a jumping off place for a new Captain Marvel series under the DC Kid's line. I hope this is true.
    Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

I wanted to like it (anything is better than Winnick's Trials of Shazam) but I got bored with it by issue 3. Much closer to the original Cap than what DC's currently putting out in the aforementioned mini but still a little too cutesy for my tastes.
      Last edited by The Toyroom; Aug 7, '07, 1:16 PM.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I enjoyed it for the most part, it could have been told in 3 parts IMO but I still thought it was a great jumping point for a new series. It kept the Fawcett charm in there and added a few things I really liked.

Mary reminded me of my daughter, especially her climbing the seven enemies of man.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I got it, and still haven't been able to get thru the last issue. Very dissapointing to me. I was really hoping for a good retro looking Cap tale. I do have hope for the new ongoing from the Jonny DC line, tho.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            I got it, and still haven't been able to get thru the last issue. Very dissapointing to me. I was really hoping for a good retro looking Cap tale.
            Pick up the Showcase Presents Shazam volume...I find that I'm enjoying that one much better than any Shazam story I've read in the last 15-20 years...DC should just follow the formula of these old 70s stories to do Shazam, er Captain Marvel they way he should be done....humorous, whimsical and an outright fun read every time. Big Red Cheese indeed!
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

I was into it when it began but it quickly fizzled for me.Issue 3 and 4 were a bit thin.The last issue took a while for it to come out and I wasn't crazy about the artwork.If he wasn't Jeff Smith I don't think he would have ever gotten this run.Plus it was so freekin expensive at 5.99 a pop sheesh!

DC please Find a good children's writer who can capture the feel of the Classic Captain get Darwyn Cooke or Bruce timm to illustrate it....and watch the Captain return to his former glory.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ You aren't going to get Cooke. He's done at DC after Spirit 12.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• brineb
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 26, 2006

I think it just sorta sputtered out. I was excited about it in the beginning, but when the last issue finally came out ... I forgot that I was reading it!!!
                  I also play with other dolls:
                  http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                    I was into it when it began but it quickly fizzled for me.Issue 3 and 4 were a bit thin.The last issue took a while for it to come out and I wasn't crazy about the artwork.If he wasn't Jeff Smith I don't think he would have ever gotten this run.Plus it was so freekin expensive at 5.99 a pop sheesh!

DC please Find a good children's writer who can capture the feel of the Classic Captain get Darwyn Cooke or Bruce timm to illustrate it....and watch the Captain return to his former glory.
                    I know it would be a long shot but how cool would that series be if they could talk both Bruce Timm and Paul Dini into doing it?

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      I know it would be a long shot but how cool would that series be if they could talk both Bruce Timm and Paul Dini into doing it?
                      Yeah man that's what I'm talking about!!! Captain Marvel at one time outsold Superman...you would think that Dc would try to recapture some magic there and I'm not talking too much about the 70's run because those were a bit silly even CC beck said that about the 70's books....but the artwork for that run was fun and I did collect it as a kid. I remember how obssesed i was about Cap. The comic,the Mego figure, and the saturday morning tv show what a great time!

Anyone who's been a kid at heart and got to read the 40's and early 50's run saw some really fun stories and great artwork.

as a kid I loved Cap because I couldn't be Superman but with one magic word I could be Captain Marvel!

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        ^^^ You aren't going to get Cooke. He's done at DC after Spirit 12.
                        Ironically, Jeff Smith has been talking to DC about doing The Spirit!
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• saildog
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 9, 2006

Kingdom Warrior hinted at my main complaint. The time between issues 2 and 3 then 3 and 4 with diminished returns in the story department caused me to lose interest. I bought 1 through 3, but I am debating whether I will even track 4 down. If I do, it will be out of an obligation to complete the series rather than any excitement to read the end of the story.

In short, it kind of dropped off my radar and if it's sold out at the comic shop, I won't make a priority out of tracking down part 4.

(However, I felt like I had to get into this in the first place to show some support for taking Cap closer to how he used to be. Every other Cap series except for the 70s "Shazam!" has been hugely disappointing to me.)
                          Last edited by saildog; Aug 10, '07, 7:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎