Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knightone
    • Aug 6, 2007

Dr.Mego/new Trek knee pin removal?

Hi everyone. I'm new here, so please go easy on me. I'm not sure if this is the exact right place to ask this, but:

I just got the new Star Trek figures from EMCE/DST and want to make some custom figures out of Kirk and the upcoming Spock and McCoy figures since I never had the heart to take apart any of my original Trek Megos. However, the knee joint on the new bodies have the new style pin (I think the same as on the Dr. Mego replacement bodies?) and I'm not sure how they can be removed or even if they can be. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks. :D
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Here's a link to a knee pin removal how-to. Don't know if Doc's knee pins are different then Megos, but I would think thry can't be all that different

Good luck and welcome aboard
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Dave Mc
      Administrator
      • Oct 20, 2002

These pins are different Thomas. There is no "female" side to the pin with a hole. Both have the flat head on each side. I don't know if they come apart or not. There doesn't appear an easy way to do it without breaking it.

Comment

• ABMAC
        User
        • May 16, 2002

Another reason I prefer real Mego bodies.

Comment

• knightone
          • Aug 6, 2007

Originally posted by Dave Mc
          These pins are different Thomas. There is no "female" side to the pin with a hole. Both have the flat head on each side. I don't know if they come apart or not. There doesn't appear an easy way to do it without breaking it.
          Argh! That's what I was afraid of!

What I had originally wanted to do was to start with some easy uniform swaps with the Andorian and Romulan to make alien Starfleet officers. But if the knees are removeable, the boots are going to be a problem.

So what do you guys think? What replacement slip-on boots would be closest to the Star Trek boots? The Chips boots or the Flash Gordon Ming boots from Doc?

I guess I could just break them somehow and use the replacement pins from Doc, but I don't want to risk breaking the entire leg doing it.

Thanks for the welcome guys, it's much appreciated.

Comment

• ABMAC
            User
            • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by knightone
            Argh! That's what I was afraid of!

What I had originally wanted to do was to start with some easy uniform swaps with the Andorian and Romulan to make alien Starfleet officers. But if the knees are removeable, the boots are going to be a problem.

So what do you guys think? What replacement slip-on boots would be closest to the Star Trek boots? The Chips boots or the Flash Gordon Ming boots from Doc?

Thanks for the welcome guys, it's much appreciated.
            The Romulan won't be a problem; he has a normal Caucasian body.

Forget the Ming boots. The Flash Gordon line used 9" bodies.

For an Andorian Starfleet officer, I would use an original Keeper body. They go pretty cheaply on eBay, especially since they usually have broken legs anyway.

Comment

• knightone
              • Aug 6, 2007

Originally posted by ABMAC
              The Romulan won't be a problem; he has a normal Caucasian body.
              So I guess a simple head swap would be fine? Do the heads pop off easily as-is, or do you have to do a boiling water/hot water dip before you pop the heads off?

Comment

• ABMAC
                User
                • May 16, 2002

The neckplug should be flexible enough to allow swapping heads without heat.

Comment

• knightone
                  • Aug 6, 2007

Cool, thanks! That will make things easier. I can get my Vulcan captain without too much trouble!

Originally posted by ABMAC
                  For an Andorian Starfleet officer, I would use an original Keeper body. They go pretty cheaply on eBay, especially since they usually have broken legs anyway.
                  I want to try and avoid going to ebay and buying up original figures for my customs if I can.

So what do all of you think? Will the Chips boots do in a pinch or is there a better option.

of course if someone who has experience with Doc's new knee joints has any advice on pin removal...

Last edited by knightone; Aug 7, '07, 3:50 PM.

Comment

• ABMAC
                    User
                    • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by knightone
                    Cool, thanks! That will make things easier. I can get my Vulcan captain without too much trouble!

I want to try and avoid going to ebay and buying up original figures for my customs if I can.

So what do all of you think? Will the Chips boots do in a pinch or is there a better option.

of course if someone who has experience with Doc's new knee joints has any advice on pin removal...

CHiPs boots will do, but they'll be noticeably wider than normal Trek boots, since those are actually smaller than naked Mego feet.

There's also the option of using Caucasian Trek legs on your Andorian officer. His thighs would be completely covered by the Trek pants.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 20, 2002

If you are making these characters in Star Fleet uniforms, why not just use the trek leg body? That way they match the other characters in Star Fleet uniforms.

Comment

• Hulk
                        Mayor of Megoville
                        • May 10, 2003

I wonder if replacement pins will work? If so, it may just be a matter of breaking the pin without breaking the knee sockets, assuming you have a supply of replacements. I might have to try some orthopaedic surgery soon.

Comment

• shellhead
                          museum rustpot
                          • Mar 1, 2007

Docs knee pins are one piece and are easily removed by heating the leg slightly and prying apart. The Doc has demonstrated this several hundred times at toy shows to show how durable his bodies are, and he doesnt heat them at shows,they're just that tough! The reason this is possible is the plastic Docs figs are made of is very flexible so it won't crack.You may need pliers to pull the pin out of the part of the leg that it remains in.

Best of luck with your project,

Chris
                          Chris

Keepin' it Mego-ey !

Comment

• knightone
                            • Aug 6, 2007

Very cool! Thank you very much for the tip.

I'm assuming the pin is reuseable after it is removed?

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                              Really? Didn't know that, I use original Mego bodies for my customs

Originally posted by shellhead
                              Docs knee pins are one piece and are easily removed by heating the leg slightly and prying apart. The Doc has demonstrated this several hundred times at toy shows to show how durable his bodies are, and he doesnt heat them at shows,they're just that tough! The reason this is possible is the plastic Docs figs are made of is very flexible so it won't crack.You may need pliers to pull the pin out of the part of the leg that it remains in.

Best of luck with your project,

Chris
                              But apparantly there is a way to remove the pins.
                              Good to know, thanks for the info
                              Last edited by Meule; Aug 7, '07, 6:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎