X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Star Trek movie casting list

AICN recently posted this. I guess after Mr. Quinto, we all knew the Damon/Sinise/Brody rumors were just that-rumors. This seems to confirm that.
    I cant help but notice some of the characters suggested ages seems way off. Also....no Chekov....which makes some sense, as he didnt join the crew till season two.

Hey, everyone. "Moriarty" here. There's been a lot of speculation about what age range to expect when we see the new STAR TREK movie next year. Well, speculate no more. I can tell you exactly what age the characters are going to be,...
    "Crayons taste like purple!"
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

After hearing Damon was merely a rumor and seeing the casting of Spock.. I must say I have brighter hopes for this movie.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I always assumed (and the Trek encyclopedias "varify") that Scotty and McCoy were meant to be quite a bit older than Kirk, Spock, etc. And that Sulu and Uhura were slightly younger, and Chekov even younger than that. And all by more than just two years.

But, still kind of interesting.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

should be interesting. i dont think they could win no matter who they cast as everyone has thier own ideas about the trek crew .

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

according to the Trek writers guide, Kirk is in his mid-thirties, McCoy and Scotty are in their mid to late forties, and Sulu and Uhura are in their late twenties. Spock's age was never mentioned exactly, but I believe it has been generally considered he was about the same age as Kirk (probably because the actors are the same age). Chekov would be in his early twenties

If we apply this to the age of Mr. Quinto, Spock and Kirk are about mid-twenties in this film. That puts Sulu and Uhura in High School/just entering the academy, and Scott and McCoy would be in their late thirties.

I should mention, a couple of Trek boards have already called this casting list a fake already. Nobody was too thrilled with a danger loving McCoy or a Tomboy Uhura either. I'm kind of hoping the first movie only has Spock and Kirk in it, along with the Pike era Enterprise crew. The others can be brought in for the following sequel or rumored TV series that will follow.

"i dont think they could win no matter who they cast as everyone has thier own ideas about the trek crew"

Truer words have never been spoken!...still, I'm optomistic that this film will turn out ok.(I hope.....knock on wood....fingers crossed....)

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Spock and Kirk look the same age, but wasn't Spock considerably older? Vulcans grow up to be lot older than humans, don't they?
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I'm thinking, that Us knowing the casting requirement's...doesn't mean that is Thier actual age in the Movie. Not everyone looks Thier age(some People look Younger than they are...some older). I'm sure They want to cast Young...incase the Movie is successful, and goes on for Year's.
              sigpic

Comment

• monkeyboy
                Museum Patron
                • Jul 31, 2007

casting

Originally posted by The Bat
                I'm thinking, that Us knowing the casting requirement's...doesn't mean that is Thier actual age in the Movie. Not everyone looks Thier age(some People look Younger than they are...some older). I'm sure They want to cast Young...incase the Movie is successful, and goes on for Year's.
                I agree i just hope they get good actors!and hope they do their own thing.a bad imitation of shatner would be bad!and please no halle berry!i think they should use characters from pilot

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I agree i just hope they get good actors!and hope they do their own thing.a bad imitation of shatner would be bad!and please no halle berry!i think they should use characters from pilot
                  For an example of how NOT to cast a prequel, look no further than the Lonesome Dove mini-series prequel "Dead Man's Walk". David Arquette was cast as Augustus Macrae, who was brilliantly played in the original mini by Robert Duvall. Now anyone bold enough to follow Duvall is going to have an uphill battle, but Arquette tried to do a younger cariacture of Duvall's performance. He came across as a young Gabby Hayes instead.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I have no faith in this movie what-so-ever so as far as i'm concerned, they can do anything they want.

It will be basically "Enterprise" on the big screen.

Meaning, totally forgettable within the second day of its release.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by type1kirk
                      I have no faith in this movie what-so-ever so as far as i'm concerned, they can do anything they want.

It will be basically "Enterprise" on the big screen.

Meaning, totally forgettable within the second day of its release.

Awe...come on' Mike...give it a chance. I'm as Hardcore a Trekie as You can! But I'm trying hard to keep and open Mind. I want more Kirk & Spock Storie's...not Next Gen, or Enterprise...but the Original Serie's Crew. Yes...of course Shatner & Nimoy can NEVER be replaced...Thier Image's are burned into My Brain from the countless Hour's I've spent watching that Show...it's My facvorite TV Show of ALL-TIME!
                      If They blow it...I'll be the first to Rag all over it! But what what if J.J.Abrams pulls a Rabbit out of His Hat...and makes some GREAT casting decision's...and a good Movie? It could happen right?
                      sigpic

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Awe...come on' Mike...give it a chance. I'm as Hardcore a Trekie as You can! But I'm trying hard to keep and open Mind. I want more Kirk & Spock Storie's...not Next Gen, or Enterprise...but the Original Serie's Crew. Yes...of course Shatner & Nimoy can NEVER be replaced...Thier Image's are burned into My Brain from the countless Hour's I've spent watching that Show...it's My facvorite TV Show of ALL-TIME!
                        If They blow it...I'll be the first to Rag all over it! But what what if J.J.Abrams pulls a Rabbit out of His Hat...and makes some GREAT casting decision's...and a good Movie? It could happen right?

I'm hoping for the best too. I just cant stand anymore Next Gen, DS9, Voyageresque fiasco's anymore. I have to say theres a heck of a lot of pressure on that rabbit though!!
                        I must admit, I'm not too crazy about all of the classic crew having met before the 5 year mission, and its certainly starting to look like thats going to be the case with this movie.

By the way, it looks like Chekov is in this.. Trekweb, DarkHorizons, et al, have some news on the casting of Chekov. Of course, yesterday they nearly gave me a heart attack by announcing Tom Cruise was going to play Pike!
                        Luckily Cruise himself shot that down!...but now we know Pike is the character so far referred to only as "Federation Captain".

Comment

• MegoMonk
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 22, 2007

I've never heard of Zacary Qunto util this, but he looks like he might fir the part. I just hope they stick with younger actors. Matt Damon might have made a good Kirk 10 years ago, but not know. Maybe they can have Afleck play a post-accident Pike!

Comment

• number 6
                            Village Idiot
                            • Jul 10, 2003

Awe...come on' Mike...give it a chance. I'm as Hardcore a Trekie as You can! But I'm trying hard to keep and open Mind.
                            My take on this (and perhaps this is Mike's take too) is that while it's all fine and good to keep an open mind and be positive, there is a reality about this franchise that has to be faced up to.

Don't get my wrong, I don't want this movie to fail, I'd love it if it was a huge success (and I don't think expressing my concerns will have any affect on the whether it succeeds or fails). Personally, it gives me no small amount of satisfaction that when the chips are down and the franchise has to be saved they turn to the original crew.

But the reality is that I can't point to anything that Parmount has done with this franchise in the last 10-15 years that gives me any indication that they're gonna pull it out and do what needs to be done to make this the big success it needs to be.

Yes...of course Shatner & Nimoy can NEVER be replaced...Thier Image's are burned into My Brain from the countless Hour's I've spent watching that Show...
                            Yeah and that may be part of the problem with this movie. I agree that's possible these parts could be successfully recast. But for it to work the audience has to be completely drawn in to the fact these new actors are these charactors. There's a pretty good chance that having Nimoy show up as Spock in this movie is just going to completely blow that illusion.

As a side point on casting, I seem to remember somebody involved with the franchise at one time postulating that the reason the Trek movies never did big box office is because T.V. actors were cast in the parts instead of movie actors. Interesting that now that they have the chance to "do it right" the first part to be cast is given to.....a T.V. actor!

But what what if J.J.Abrams pulls a Rabbit out of His Hat...and makes some GREAT casting decision's...and a good Movie?
                            Seems like all the expectations for this movie are pinned on this guy. I know he's the fair-haired boy right now in Hollywood and I know that a lot of you guys love Lost.

But to me, Lost is this generations Twin Peaks and MI:III was a dud. Don't get me wrong, I'll admit he might be able to do it. But I look at it this way: Cristopher Nolan has proven himself to me; J.J. Abrams has yet to do so.

It could happen right?
                            It's possible, but Paramount can't just make a movie that's going to please fanboys, they can't just crank it out and expect that just because it's Star Trek and because J.J. Abrams name is plastered all over it that it's going to do well.

They're going to have to make a movie that draws in people who are not hard-core Star Trek/Sci-Fi/comic book fans, it's going to have some appeal to the general public. THAT is going to be a tough order to fill.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by number 6

But the reality is that I can't point to anything that Parmount has done with this franchise in the last 10-15 years that gives me any indication that they're gonna pull it out and do what needs to be done to make this the big success it needs to be.

Too true...but Rick Berman & Brannon Braga have been in complete Creative control of Star Trek during ALL that time. And Paramount had to wait for Berman's Contract to expire, to get rid of Him. Now that He's gone...there is hope!

P.S. I've never seen "Lost".
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎