X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Why did You start Customizing?

A recent aggressive discussion got me thinking....remembering actually...why I started Customizing in the first place. one reason was of course, to fill in the gaps Mego left(The Flash, Green Lantern, etc...).

The other...as I saw it...was to "FIX" some of the Figures that I felt, that Mego got wrong(Cap, Molded Cowl Batman, The Gorn, etc...). And I guess that hasn't changed for me. From what I seen so far from Mattel/EMCE...they're off to a good start. So for now, I'm willing to set back, be patient, and hope things turn out the way I hope.

But if some of the Figures aren't to my liking...then I'll do what I've been doing all along...Customize & "Fix" them. At the very least...it will create more Parts I can use for my hobby(Belts, Body Suits, Boots, and so on...).

I love original Megos...but deep down...I'm a Customizer at Heart. I have to mess with stuff...I just can't leave it alone.
    sigpic
  • Jerry68
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 12, 2008

Same here, and I really enjoy it!
    sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

My story is a bit strange ....

Back in the early 1990's one of my nephews was (he still is) a huge pro wrestling fan.

At a quick glance (back then) he kind of looked like Big Boss Man.

I bought a Hasbro Bossman and tinkered around with it to try and make it look like a figure of my nephew.
      He was very surprised and pleased with the results - which inspired me.

My next project was trying to turn a 9" Captain Pike Playmates figure into Jesus ...
      Again, I was surpised and happy with the results.

Once I joined Mego Museum and seen they had a customs section, I got a lot of info and ideas and it took off from there.

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Three things got me started:
        1. I wanted Green Lantern and a "few" others.
        2. I found some clearance Famous Covers and started converting them.
        3. DangerDan contacted me about trading some of my Famous Covers converts for his stuff. He had a bunch of Spidey bad guys, so that got that ball rolling
        The rest is history. I just can't stop, especially with kids, there's always somebody new to make.

Comment

• Meule
          Verbose Member
          • Nov 14, 2004

To fill in some gaps Mego left (Sulu, Chekov, more villains) and because I wanted more Trek aliens after seeing the Dunsel/Dave MC aliens.
          Once I got hooked, I wanted to do the cast of the 66 Batman show and more movie monsters.
          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

welll, I mostly really dug the DC9" line(better than the FC's) as they seemed to be a bit more like toys than the FC's and reminded me a lot of my old Mego's. After the line was canned due to Hasbro's mishandling, I discovered Brian Leitner's Flash custom on ebay and got a painted cast of the head from him immediately. This was followed by Hawkman from him. I eventually tried sewing, painting heads and I was on my way. I did not know of Doc Mego or this site until I was deeply commited to the 9 inch scale, or I probably would have done the Mego size instead. Later I went on a movie serial/pulp book consuming kick and that spilled over into the customs. I have redone 90 percent of my old customs in this style.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              I have redone 90 percent of my old customs in this style.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's another thing I do...is "re-do" my Customs a lot...for various reasons(not satisfied with Head Sculpt, or whatever) . So I guess that's another part of my addiction...is constantly "fixing", and Customizing the Customs.
              Last edited by The Bat; Aug 8, '09, 7:09 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

I wanted to see if I could do it, and I was quite happy with my first one. If he hadn't worked for me, I may not have made any after that.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

I think my first customs were repainting some WWF Hasbro figures for my cousin....for some reason he wanted a Bret Hart with a blue outfit, a Hakushi and a Waylon Mercy if I recall. Then I did some repaints of DC Kenner/Marvel Toybiz figures for myself....Superboy became the Jack Knight Starman, Marvel Girl became Wonder Woman and Cyclops became Plastic Man.

I guess it was inevitable I'd try my hands to Megos once I found Dr. Megos site....Green Lantern was the first.
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Since I was a kid I've always wanted every cool character in the same scale; so's they could fight each other. The 8" Mego body was always the perfect figure for me. Big enough you could have accessories, small enough you could make vehicles. I tried making customs since I was small, but met with limited success. (That's why my Grandma taught me how to sew.)

Wasn't until I discovered RTV silicone that I had any real luck. (Back in the garage kit days.... I had to order the stuff from Japan!) And I used THAT mostly for gaming and model kit parts. Didn't think to use those skills for figures until I ran into Darrin Wiltshire and Scott Metzger.

Don C.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                      I wanted to see if I could do it, and I was quite happy with my first one. If he hadn't worked for me, I may not have made any after that.
                      Do you still have a Pic of your 1st one Cat? I'd like to see it.

My first one was DareDevil. I thought the Mego Cap made a better DaveDevil then Cap...so I added some Horns from a Triceratops Eraser, and painted him with the wrong kind of Paint(he took about a Month to dry), but in the end...he came out pretty good. He looked very Mego to me.
                      sigpic

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                        MeGoing
                        • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by The Bat
                        Do you still have a Pic of your 1st one Cat? I'd like to see it.

My first one was DareDevil. I thought the Mego Cap made a better DaveDevil then Cap...so I added some Horns from a Triceratops Eraser, and painted him with the wrong kind of Paint(he took about a Month to dry), but in the end...he came out pretty good. He looked very Mego to me.
                        Yeah I still have him. Tried to take a pic but my camera batteries are now being charged...will tomorrow.

I think that would be a good thread. Pictures of your first ever custom.

Comment

• bobws
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 13, 2008

when i found this site and saw what everyone was making it inspired me to try to expand the Titans to all of the 70's characters and then i started getting Brian's suits and heads off ebay and i'm off and running. very soon pictures will show just what i've been up to.
                          "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

I actually started customizing when I was a kid in the 70's. But, of course, it wasn't the kind of proper customizing I would show by today's standards. I wanted a Flash, Green Lantern, Nova, and a Vision figure. So I went to many lengths to see these figures come to life (but on a limited basis). In those days I didn't have the kind of resources that I have today. But what really returned me to the craft after all of these years came down to one simple rule - cost effectiveness. There is a fantastic circle of very talented and very fair minded folks in this community that produce professional level product at fair market prices. If your looking to piece together a custom figure, there is almost no limit to what you can do and still keep it affordable.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                              Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                              • Oct 8, 2007

Mostly, I need an outlet for my creative side. Also, It helps me forget about bills, recessions, climate change, and the rest of lifes little problems at least temporairly.
                              I think customizing is challenging and fun, I also (like others) enjoy filling in gaps in the original mego lines.
                              "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎