Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get thee to Big Lots! (JLU, DC Super Friends, DC Superheroes)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

Get thee to Big Lots! (JLU, DC Super Friends, DC Superheroes)

Someone on RTM's Toy Buzz posted that they found the new DC Superheroes Cyborg Superman at Big Lots, so I ran over. I didn't see any new DC stuff and didn't want to waste a trip, so I hit their energy drink aisle. (I loves me some Monster.) They had all these weird off-brands for like 50 and 60 cents a can, so I went to grab a basket so I could buy one of each... that's when I noticed that their seasonal section at the front of the store had some interesting looking military figures.

I walked down the aisle to take a look and they had pegs of new toys I hadn't seen anywhere else, including:

JLU purple carded 3-packs. It looked like they only got one case, and the assortment included the Black Canary/Joker/Batman pack, the Superman/Supergirl/Steel pack and a single Hawkman/Rocket Red/Flash pack.

DC Superheroes Superman wave. Again, only one case out, but it was an assortment that had the new Cyborg Superman and, one I've been looking for for months, that cool black and silver Superman repaint. The rest of the assortment was villains... No red and blue Supergirl.

On the top shelf were the new DC Super Friends figures. I snagged a Superman, but they had Batman and Flash, too. I didn't dig to see if they had a Green Lantern, though...

This is the most I've spent on new toys in months, and I was practically jumping up and down. Just weird to find all of this stuff at an out-of-the-way store like Big Lots instead of Toys R Us or Target.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I saw the same post at RTM Steve. Big Lots left our town last year, so I was bummed. However I knew were were going past Frankfort today on our way to Louisville Zoo, so I thought I'd stop in there at their Big Lots. I hit the best modern toy jackpot I believe I'd ever run across. Cyborg Supes and Mongul that I needed from DCSH (I left the black Superman). JLU Hawkman and Joker 3-packs. The first 3 basic Super Friends (Supes, Bats, Flash). My son also got a set of Super Friends. He loves them. Great line. Brings to mind the Super Powers and Comic Action with the plunger accessory.

I thought about picking some up for my pals here, but honestly chunkin' down $90 for modern figures was enough for today. Hit those Big Lots guys. They had at LEAST two cases of each there. I left multiples of each figure/set.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
      Superman's Pal
      • Jun 17, 2005

It makes me feel better that you found only the first basic three DC Super Friends. I was so excited to find them that I completely forgot about looking to see if there was a Lex Luthor in the mix.

And I know what you mean about spending all that dough at one shot on new toys. There goes my allowance for this week!

Comment

• grayhank
        That Fisher Price Guy
        • Feb 9, 2007

I saw the DC Super Friends at Kmart today. They had Batman, Superman, Lex, Green Lantern. I passed on all because I don't want to start YET another toyline. Happy Hunting!
        Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

Great work guys. I can't hit our only one left until tomorrow. Hope I have good luck.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

From what I read on RTM today, your chances of finding gold at Big Lots is good Scott. Folks from all around were finding DC/Mattel goodness. Good luck to you!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

My Target had the new Superfriends for 7.99. TRU had them for $9.99, but the TRU Batmen were all black. I saw everybody but Flash so far. What was the Big Lots price point?

Comment

• MegoSteve
                Superman's Pal
                • Jun 17, 2005

$7.50. The JLU three packs and the DC Superheroes were $9. On top of just being able to find them, they were also cheaper at Big Lots than anywhere else.

Comment

• wyatterb
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2001

I'm hitting Big Lots this afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers.
                  Last edited by wyatterb; Aug 4, '07, 9:46 AM.

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

OK. Went to our Big Lots and the one 25 miles away. Struck out big time at both. No sign of anything new. Only Justice League stuff was some Watchtower playsets and some Mission Vison figures. Kids here in AL go back to school starting next week so the front was full of school supplies. I'll keep checking but I don't have high hopes. I really want that JLU Hawkman set and the Cybirg Supes.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

All ours has are Street Luge Batmen and Mission Vision Supes. TONS of them. Even at discount no one wants them. Why can't Mattel figure that out?
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MegoSteve
                        Superman's Pal
                        • Jun 17, 2005

Those were probably purchased as surplus, even though the Big Lots price doesn't show it. I saw the same JLU assortment at another salvage store (Ollies) last year... only Ollies cleared theirs out after Christmas.

Again, these new assortments are not in the regular toy department. I've been to three Big Lots and they were in different places in each... look for the seasonal aisles. I would have missed them completely had I not gone back for a basket.

Comment

• wyatterb
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 2, 2001

I struck out with the new figures yesterday at BigLots. I did pick up a Mission Vision Darkseid and the JL Watchtower for my son. The Target across the street only had the Super Friends figures: Supes, Bats, GL, & Lex. I'm hoping to have better luck next week when I head towards Rockford.

Comment

• ramsey37
                            • Jun 18, 2001

I stopped by my local Big Lots today. They had the Superman, Bat-Man, and Flash Super Friends figures, as well as the JLU figures mentioned elsewhere. They also had a surpisingly large selection of Bratz dolls and accessories for cheap. Some of the Bratz clothing is great for Mego female bodies. They also had the Bratz Sushi Bar playset for $15.00. I was tempted to grab one, but decided to pass for now.
                            George

Comment

• davidb
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 9, 2007

How do the Bratz playsets compare with Megos scale-wise? I'd seen the sushi bar and thought about using it for Megos myself but wasn't sure how everything would work together with the Bratz stuff being 10 inch and Megos 8.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎