Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to remove belt stains from an Andorian tunic/bodysuit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K
    Fun Will Now Commence
    • Jun 20, 2001

Is it possible to remove belt stains from an Andorian tunic/bodysuit?

Hello, Everyone.

I just got my widdle hands on an original Andorian (happy dance!), with repro boots and belt.

The tunic has the customary black staining from the original belt and, in addition, the chainmail bodysuit beneath has a sort of tan/brownish stain in the area of the belt as well (the tunic was most constricted here and in contact with the bodysuit). It has slight stains this color in the inner arms where they contacted the tunic.

Has anyone had any luck removing these stains or making them less noticeable? Obviously, I'd rather have stains than damage the fabrics.

Thanks!
    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

Yes, I removed Marker from my tunic. Buy a product called remove-zit from here

Follow the directions. It will work wonders on the vinyl. It's not for the chainmail suit though. I had luck with woolite and oxyclean for that.

Be careful with the remove-zit, it will take the paint off anything it contacts, so becareful of the diamonds printed on the vest!

Comment

• K
      Fun Will Now Commence
      • Jun 20, 2001

^ Dave,

would you recommend the Remove-Zit over Clearasil for this purpose?

Also, did you apply it to the inside surface (fabric-y side) or right on the brown vinyl itself?

Also, on a knight chainmail suit, I once had Oxyclean remove the silvery color. Did you have any Oxyclean "side effects" when you used it on the chainmail bodysuit?

THANKS!!!!!

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

dave please elaborate on the process . i need to clean my andorian tunic.

Comment

• Dave Mc
          Administrator
          • Oct 20, 2002

The nice thing about Remove-Zit is it's faster than Clearasil, and it's made for doll restoration.

It's a paste. You apply in on the outside of the tunic, right on the vinyl. I applied it with a flat toothpick, and only on the area that needs something removed. Let it sit (I think it says 24 hours on the directions). The paste absorbs the stain. You'll see the paste turning color. It dries and you flake it off. Clean the residue off with a gentle degreaser, heck, I used fantastik and it worked fine. For the marker, I had to repeat this process with three applications, but the tunic came out dead mint. I've done this twice, once for marker on a tunic, and once for the belt stain.

Do not put it on the inside of the tunic, since there is a cloth material on the inside.

As for the bodysuit. I started with a woollite scrub. Soak it in woollite and water, then took a soft childs toothbrush and poured some woolite directly on it, wet it and gently scrubbed at the problem areas. This took out most of the issue. Then I soaked in oxyclean for about 15 minutes (after rinsing the soap off) and it came out dang nice. I didn't notice any dulling of the silver.

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

thanks dave i will have to try it . i got as real nice figure with the belt stain. mike

Comment

• Hulk
              Mayor of Megoville
              • May 10, 2003

Definitely takes some guts to do this stuff on rarer items. I shudder when I am working on fairly common outfits. Good luck, and let us know how it works.

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Hulk
                Definitely takes some guts to do this stuff on rarer items. I shudder when I am working on fairly common outfits. Good luck, and let us know how it works.
                Same here. I think I'd rather have a stained tunic than take the risk of destroying it
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• K
                  Fun Will Now Commence
                  • Jun 20, 2001

^ I've gotta admit, I'm nervous trying it, but maybe I'll try a really inconspicuous area that will be hidden by the belt anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Dave!

Comment

• Dave Mc
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 20, 2002

No guts, no glory!

It's really not risky at all. I've used it on two different Andorian Tunics, both came out stellar. It will not hurt the tunic. It might remove the diamond paint, but it would only hurt the one under the belt, so who's to know?

One thing that will freak you out a bit that I forgot to mention. When you remove the stuff, you'll notice that tunic will start to pull tight in the area the material was on. It will kind of shrivel up a bit. DON'T WORRY! This will loosen right back up in a day or so.

Comment

• K
                      Fun Will Now Commence
                      • Jun 20, 2001

^ Thanks for mentioning that, Dave. I'll keep an eye out.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎