X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Why I love Catalogs

For me, my enjoyment of catalogs boils down to images such as this G.I. Joe page and a single moment in time. When I was two years of age, I caught croup something bad and had to be left in the hospital. I was panicked and inconsolable, my mother remembered having an Eaton's catalog on her and gave it to me, I went silent. Apparently I didn't even say goodbye, something I'm still reminded of to this day.
    Thanks to everyone for making July the best month plaidstallions has ever had, we've been growing steadily for the last eight months but July was over the top. I'm glad I'm not alone in my love of this material.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Very cool. The only GI joes I ever had were the kung-fu grip ones.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Few things can really capture and reflect a society at a moment in time better than its advertising. I love these pages along with commercials, display signs, anything really. Even the fonts used are very reflective of the time. The nmoment I saw the prices in this ad, I immediately thought "Sears Wish Book."

Its funny, when I travel abroad, I love to watch the commercials, especially when I don't speak the local language. I feel they provide a certain perspective.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

those displays were awesome,I've always loved the 12" Joes,I'm more of the painted hair kind of guy but the fuzzy hair ones are cool too
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, I love catalogs. When I was a kid, my mom really never let me look at any, b/c she knew I'd immediately start begging for all those dolls. It was bad enough I'd see the ads on TV and sing the jingles all the time. But I don't think she could have stood seeing the pages shoved in her face accompanied by begging and whining. But these days, I have a 1971 Spiegel Xmas catalog and a 1973 JCPenney Xmas catalog. I love to look at the toys, clothes, old stereo equipment, furniture and point stuff out that I had, and remember when life was simple and sweet.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

those catalougs are awesome i like the fuzzy hair better especially the sea adventurer.

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Y'know what else I miss; the big store displays! I remember stores used to have setups like that every year. I can remember a huge Micronaut scene at Eatons in Toronto; and a Space Lego one, with a GIGANTIC space station/moon made of the big grey baseplates trimmed and glued together.

Nobody does that any more....

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ctc
                Hmmmm....

Y'know what else I miss; the big store displays! I remember stores used to have setups like that every year. I can remember a huge Micronaut scene at Eatons in Toronto; and a Space Lego one, with a GIGANTIC space station/moon made of the big grey baseplates trimmed and glued together.

Nobody does that any more....

Don C.
                I have been searching for pics of that Micronauts scebe for ages, although I think it was Simpsons, not Eatons that did it.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Our local Ben Franklin's only had army minatures on display. I still looked in awe at them.

When we rarely ventured into the big city, Hill's had some awesome set ups behind plexiglass cases. I remember some killer MOTU and GI Joe RAH set ups they had.

Poor kids nowadays. They don't know the wonders of wishbooks.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• brannon86
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jul 20, 2007

Catalogs

Man, what a cool add. I remember that one. I loved the GI Joe stuff. I lived for those Sears and JC Penny Christmas catalogs back in the day...

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎