X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Captain Action Returns

In an all new Comic Book series from Moonstone.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

Any word on the plot?

I'm also curious which heros Cap will "turn into"? Obviously cant use most of the characters he formerly swapped into. Maybe the Phantom, as I believe moonstone also publish that character.....who else?
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Dunno why; but he looks kinda like a badguy. (A WW2 bad guy...) Maybe the severe features?

It's an interesting idea though. I'm always leary of stuff like this, since we usually end up with the same stuff everyone ELSE is doing these days,w ith a classic name slapped on.

Don C.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Well at least he looks like vintage Captain Action instead of that brief comic revival in the early 90s. Not sure if he has to change into other heroes...in DC's CA run in the 60s (6 issues) he had some magic coins that gave him various powers I believe, as opposed to stealing other heroes IDs.
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Awesome!!! Hopefully he won't change into other Heroes and just be himself. Funny How I like the Idea of Captain Action as a toy although I dislike the figure but love the costumes.

I like Moonstone Publishing I collected The Phantom for a bit then stopped I'll be on the lookout for this when It comes out.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

pretty cool ,that artwork is amazing,just like that with no color
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
              Well at least he looks like vintage Captain Action instead of that brief comic revival in the early 90s. Not sure if he has to change into other heroes...in DC's CA run in the 60s (6 issues) he had some magic coins that gave him various powers I believe, as opposed to stealing other heroes IDs.
              That is the one that a teenage Jim Shooter and Wally Wood worked on right? I've never read it, but I've heard it's pretty interesting even though he didn't turn into Tarzan, Spiderman, Lone Ranger etc.

Dr Evil was particularly psychedelic.

I had heard that Codename: Danger published in 1985 by Lodestone was originally supposed to be a Captain Action revival (not the Danger covers up Action in the logo).

Creative team...
              Rich Buckler (plot); Keith Giffen (plot); Robert Loren Fleming (dialgoue) (Script), Rich Buckler (Pencils), Bob McLeod and Friends (Inks)

Kyle Baker (Pencils)

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
                That is the one that a teenage Jim Shooter and Wally Wood worked on right? I've never read it, but I've heard it's pretty interesting even though he didn't turn into Tarzan, Spiderman, Lone Ranger etc.

Dr Evil was particularly psychedelic.
                Gil Kane also worked on this and provided the covers as well as writing and pencilling issues 3-5 (I was mistaken on it being 6 issues, only 5).

The 90s revival I referred to was a one-shot published in 1995 by Karl Art Publications, who I believe now own the rights to CA. It was very "Image-y" in style and didn't look anything like Cap.
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• brineb
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 26, 2006

I'm excited by it!!! I have my old DC issues and my 90s re-issued Captain Action figures. There is also a re-issue of the old Aurora model coming out from Moebius Models that I have on pre-order. I hope it's successful and we get new figures and costumes!!!
                  I also play with other dolls:
                  http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Article about the revival
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hulk
                      Mayor of Megoville
                      • May 10, 2003

Cool article, its interesting to get the history all in one place.

I have to say though, the concept art is more Captain S&M than Captain Action to me. If the hero looks like this, I'm really going to be scared by Dr. Evil.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I'm just curious, does Captain Action unto himself hold much appeal for folks? I wasn't around during the sixties, but when I look at the property, his appeal seems to lie in the fact that he changed into more popular Marvel and DC Superheroes.

I'm guessing the recent revival wasn't so successful because they couldn't get the rights to Spiderman, Superman et al. For a Collector's Market, nostalgia characters like Green Hornet, The Phantom etc are fine, but there is not much kid-appeal there.

I'm thinking that the best chance of success for Captain Action these days would be to outfit him in various characters that kids play with these days... more often than not originating from anime.

Given toy trends in recent years, Caption Action and Action Boy would have to take on more exagerated proportions in order to be dressed as recent animated versions of The Batman or Teen Titan's Robin for example.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I think the first mistake Playing Mantis made when they released the initial Captain Action figures was the packaging and pricing. You had to pay $30.00 for every figure and you couldn't get a different costume character without buying another Captain Action figure that was dressed in it. Distribution was spotty too. At first you could only get them at comicbook shops and then later they came out in various KB Toy stores. Subsequently sales were soft at best.

It took another year and a half before they re-released him with vintage packaging for half the price ($14.99). They also put out some great costume sets in the classic packaging for about $10.00. But by then they had lost much of their distribution with stores so you could only get them at comicbook shops (if they chose to give the line another chance) or you had to special order him.
                          I give Playing Mantis alot of credit because they really tried to make it right in the end, but they simply made too many mistakes early on that cooled the interest of anyone other than the diehards.

I think the next line can be successful if they learn the lessons from this last go around and keep the pricing affordable and secure bankable licensing (characters for old and new generations)along with healthy distribution and advertising.

Comment

• David Lee
                            The Fix-it-up Chappie
                            • Jun 10, 2002

NICIEZA AND SPARACIO ANSWER CALL TO ACTION!
                            Creative Team Behind All-New CAPTAIN ACTION Series Solidified

One man trying to reclaim a world� a world that might not want him to.

One man trying to reclaim his sense of self� while impersonating others.

One man trying hard to become the very thing he's avoided his entire life�

After the recent announcement that industry legend and master storyteller, Fabian Nicieza had taken the writing helm of Moonstone Books new CAPTAIN ACTION series, a call was put out for an artist to join Nicieza in chronicling the Captain's new adventures. While a great many wonderful submissions landed on the desk of Moonstone's Art Director, one stood out as the perfect match for the stories Nicieza is producing.

Moonstone Books is proud to announce Mark Sparacio has answered the call to action and will be providing the artwork for the all-new adventures.

When asked about the new assignment, Sparacio offered his thoughts, "To say the least, I am very excited to be part of the new CAPTAIN ACTION comic book team. As a huge fan of the Ideal Toys action figure and, of course, the first CAPTAIN ACTION comic book that legendary comic creators Jim Shooter, Wally Wood and Gil Kane worked on, I was thrilled when I received the news that I was chosen to be the interior penciller and cover painter for the new Moonstone comic book series. I understand that the CAPTAIN ACTION team looked at a lot of talented artists, before choosing me, so I am both honored and flattered for this opportunity. When I was told that Fabian Nicieza would be writing the book, I was blown away. After reading Fabian's script for part one and the terrific back story that he has created for CAPTAIN ACTION, I was totally hooked. I love his approach to CAPTAIN ACTION and I think what he wants to do and where he wants to take CAPTAIN ACTION is going to be incredible!"

Sparacio will be at the Moonstone booth (#2042) during San Diego Com ic Con on Friday, July 27th from 3-4pm.

Not only was Sparacio overjoyed at landing the job, but Joe Ahern and Ed Catto at Captain Action Enterprises feel the excitement as well. "We at Captain Action Enterprises are thrilled at the addition of Mark Sparacio to this book. His unique style of painted art is certain to bring Fabian's script to a whole new level!"

"We are proud to bring Captain Action back to comics," states Moonstone Editor in Chief, Joe Gentile. "We think comic fans are going to be really surprised by the very slick direction Fabian has taken with the character. This should appeal to both fans of the classic action figure, as well as fans of cool spy/hero adventure."

Moonstone will be producing a short Captain Action story that will appear in two parts as a "second feature" in the pages of the upcoming BUCKAROO BANZAI mini series! After that, the sky's the limit!

About CAPTAIN ACTION: Capt Action, an action figure from IDEAL toys circa 1966, was Ideal's reaction to Hasbro's GI JOE. Stan Weston designed/created the hero who could adopt the guise of many other heroes, such as The Phantom, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. In 1968, DC Comics produced a five issue mini series. Now for the first time in 40 years, Captain Action will be in comics again!

More information regarding Moonstone Books, Captain Action, Buckaroo Banzai, The Phantom and Moonstone's other properties, projects and staff can be found at http://www.moonstonebooks.com

Comment

• mego boy CA
                              megos are FUN!!
                              • Mar 30, 2006

Anyone know when it comes out?
                              sigpic
                              "To The Batmobile!"
                              "We Haven't A Moment To Lose!"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰