Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do your parents think of your hobby?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

What do your parents think of your hobby?

My dad thinks it is odd and we really don't talk much about it. While in college my wife and I did a lot of toy shows selling so he kinda understands. My mom could really care less. All we really talk about is work or my daughter. My parents live across the country from me so it's hard for them to concieve of what I collect. My brother Jim loves it. He remembers us beating the crap out of our megos when we were kids and can't believe I found carded versions of what we had. I used to be a big sports card collector so they think I need a new hobby when I gave up the old one.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Don't get it really. They probably still think they did me a favor when they let me sell all my stuff in a yard sale when I was a kid.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

My Mother was real understanding and supportive of my hobby, and added a lot of pieces to it. Since she passed away my Dad hasn't been too bad about it. He is remotely interested in Super Heroes (he'll watch the movies if I give him an opportunity to), so he's fairly understanding. He ocassionally asks me "Why don't you sell all that stuff?" I throw it back at him and ask him why he needs 7 guitars. My dad will admit that comics and toys kept me out of trouble as a teenager. When I could have been out drinking or doing drugs, I was out scouting TRUs and Wal-marts for new BTAS figures.

My mother-in-law doesn't get it at all. I think she believes I corrupted her daughter by bringing her into TRU so much, and getting her into Barbies.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• saildog
        Permanent Member
        • Apr 9, 2006

I didn't know what my Dad thought at first, but he is one of those guy's (and I'm the same way) who appreciates when someone demonstrates skill. So, when he realized I was buying stuff that appeared to be beat up and making it look close to new (or far better than it did), he expressed an interest. He really thought it was cool when the de-graying process worked on my Zombie Mr. Fantastic. In short, I think he understands and appreciates the restoration aspect of the hobby, beyond that, he hasn't said much.

My Mom gets a kick out of it, though. She remembers how much I loved my Mego's as a kid.

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

My Dad never liked my Megos as I remember it, but he's ironically very supportive of it now. He's a gun collector, he gets it and he admires what I've done with it on the web. On the other hand, my mom was real sweet about it when I was a kid, but she's not real enthused about it now. It fits into her general judgement that I should grow up and be more responsible. *SIGH* Woe is me. If only I could be rich and famous as a result of the Mego Museum then I'd have my Momma's respect!
          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Well I got into it cause of my mom really,she started collecting dolls when I was about 7 or 8 so when ever she bought a doll I got a figure she loved when I collected the 12' vintage Joes those were her favorite ones.We had to sell most of her stuff but she still collects a little,she just can't understand when I spend more then $100 on a figure and the $500 for the Warrior singlet killed her

But she's always been cool about it,my wife collects Barbies so she gets it
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

My parents don't really get it, they probably think I'm nuts
              My girlfriend's mom is probably more understanding, she called me last week from a flea market where she had seen some Batman toys. She called to see if I already had 'em and if I was interested.
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Surfsup
                Silver Chrome Dome
                • Dec 2, 2005

They didn't know what to think at first but they're behind it now, as is my girlfriend, which is cool! My dad takes the blame as he used to bring me and my brother various toys home every Saturday afternoon. This was to keep us both quiet and out of trouble, little did he know what it would spawn .

Comment

• xNo7ucK
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Aug 26, 2006

My Mom thinks my collection is great she buys me collectibles for my birthday and Christmas if she is talking to somebody and they even say anything about toys or collecting she says my son is really in to that. I don't have a drivers license (I ride a bike) so sometimes she will drive me to shows,My Mom is cool. and the rest of my family like to look at the stuff when they come over.
                  http://xno7uck.com my BLOG

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

My Mom was a Big Barbie Collector so my sister and I and my dad were use to it...My Dad Likes my collection and the Fact that I kept adding Barbies to my Moms collection after she passed....My Daughter will inherit all of my Moms Barbies as she gets older. My Dad never gave me flack about it. He's a HUGE Munsters Fan and He Looooved the CTVT Munster figures.I got him the whole set which he proudly displays in his home.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Well, basically, my mom thinks I'm NUTS! But she does like looking at what I get from Ebay. Sometimes, she teases me saying that she can sense a presence from my toy room, like my toys are talking to each other! But my mom and I rent my brother's old house and he's cool about it I guess, even if he doesn't understand, b/c he gave notice to the people who used to occupy this house, so he pretty much gave me 2 bedrooms, one for me and one for my toys! He helped me get a shelving unit from someone he knows who was getting rid of it, for my toy room. My family basically thinks I'm an overgrown kid, and they leave it at that.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                        Well, basically, my mom thinks I'm NUTS! But she does like looking at what I get from Ebay. Sometimes, she teases me saying that she can sense a presence from my toy room, like my toys are talking to each other! But my mom and I rent my brother's old house and he's cool about it I guess, even if he doesn't understand, b/c he gave notice to the people who used to occupy this house, so he pretty much gave me 2 bedrooms, one for me and one for my toys! He helped me get a shelving unit from someone he knows who was getting rid of it, for my toy room. My family basically thinks I'm an overgrown kid, and they leave it at that.
                        Hey HG have you ever posted pics of your collection? I would love to see how you have it all set up
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

My mom's more into it than my dad. If it's not something he's into,he pretty much couldn't care less about it.

Comment

• RG
                            Removed.
                            • Oct 1, 2004

Well, do to health issues my dad has had the last couple years I moved back in with my parents to help them out and to help take care of 2 out of my 4 nieces. So both of my parents have to put up with my hobby first hand.

My dad thinks I'm a nut, but is cool with it. Whenever I get a new item and I catch him looking at me funny, I put the toy in front of him and ask him if he wants to play with me lol ... oh man does that get him every time lol :D He does finds the Megos to be a little more normal than Star Wars collecting. But out of all the lines I collect he likes the GI Joe RAH stuff.

My mom loves it and even started to collect Hot Wheels in the 90's. She looks at yard sales and flea markets for me all the time.

I'm single so I have no in-laws ... I'm sure the fact I now live with mommy and daddy isn't helping my social life much

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                              Stays Crunchy in Milk
                              • Aug 2, 2004

My mom died when I was a teenager, but she would have at least been humored by it. My dad knows nothing about it. He lives about 15 minutes away and has never visited my house so I'm not sure he knows. Funny that we're all grown men, but don't we all still want our dad's apporval?
                              Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎