X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Hulk Question

OK, most of you know I love the Hulk TV series w/ Bill Bixby. That is the majority of my Hulk exposure. I do have the 60s Hulk cartoon series as well, and I'm still in the process of getting thru all the eps. I was just at a website that has the Power records stories on it, and they called Dr. Banner, Robert Bruce Banner. Now I knew about Bruce Banner from the 60s toon, and David Bruce Banner from the TV series. So what's w/ this Robert stuff? Why does his name keep changing? It's not like anyone changes Clark Kent or Peter Parker. Why Dr. Banner?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

Marvel writers were drunks back in the day and couldn't get anything right! ....

Comment

• MegoNinja
      Career Member
      • Feb 7, 2007

I believe that he was refered to by his middle name because Robert reminded him of his father since his father named him. I MIGHT be wrong although I think I'm on the right track.
      I the Monster Hero

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

He was originally called Bruce Banner but somewhere early on Stan Lee wrote "Bob Banner" by mistake in either Incredible Hulk (1st series) or The Avengers (I forget which). Eventually the error was caught but not before some minor confusion. So his name, retroactively, became Robert Bruce Banner. When the TV show with Bixby and Ferrigno came around, they changed his first name to David since "Bruce" is sometimes perceived as a "gay" sounding name. Go figure...
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Bruce sounds gay? Since when?
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
            Stays Crunchy in Milk
            • Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, I never understood how Bruce was an effeminant name. I can understand changing it if his name were Francis, Alice or Fi Fi Banner, but Bruce?

If producers can stick with the name Dick Grayson, why couldn't they live with Bruce?
            Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

If you look up Bruce in one of those baby name books, you'll see that it means "Manly". But for some reason, some folks think it is...sissified. My dad told me not to name my son Bruce for that reason. That's not why I didn't name him Bruce, but that notion is out there.

Stan got a bit slap-happy with his alliteration one day,didn't he? With his Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Peter Parker, Stephen Strange, Matt Murdock, Scott Summers, etc. he was bound to goof sooner or later!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Hulk_(Bruce_Banner)

Marvel does list his name as Robert Bruce Banner. This middle name confusion was likely a good excuse for the TV guys to change it as well.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                  The Man of Many Voices
                  • Aug 30, 2005

Hey Hardy Girl.
                  I myself wondered why Bruce Banner's first name was Robert, but was clearly a referecne name since he went by Bruce in the comics. You and I have something in common since the TV series was my first exposure and in my humble opinion, the best version of the Incredible Hulk that ever existed. If you get either the season one DVD set or the original Television Series Premiere with the pilot movie and the Married episodes, Producer Kenneth Johnson does audio commentaries on both episodes.
                  Ken explains that he changed his name from Bruce to David not only because someone thought Bruce sounded "gay" but also Ken Johnson was not a comic book person and had no desire to get involved in a comic book franchise, but he changed his mind about the Hulk after reading Les Miserables. Ken Johnson could not deal with illiterative names as mentioned above. Interestingly enough, he named Dr. Banner on TV after his own son David. It was interesting to find that out.
                  I'm assuming in the comics, Robert was a reference name while on the TV series, Bruce appears as David Banner's middle name and is used as a reference point such as the print on his gravestone in the pilot. I'm going to watch the Married episode with Ken's commentary tonight.
                  Cheers.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    He was originally called Bruce Banner but somewhere early on Stan Lee wrote "Bob Banner" by mistake in either Incredible Hulk (1st series) or The Avengers (I forget which). Eventually the error was caught but not before some minor confusion. So his name, retroactively, became Robert Bruce Banner.
                    I believe it was The Avengers (the issue where they fight their former team-mate), and I think a reader wrote in about it with the explanation that Bruce was his middle name and that netted the reader a no-prize.

To get a no-prize, a reader who found a mistake had to come up with an explanation to help Marvel out of their error. No-Prize being exactly what it sounds like. The winners would receive an empty Marvel envelope.
                    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• saildog
                      Permanent Member
                      • Apr 9, 2006

That whole "Bruce doesn't sound manly" Logic they used is just dopey.

Bruce Wayne
                      Bruce Lee
                      Bruce Willis
                      Robert the Bruce

These are men/characters I associate with the name "Bruce". Not one sissy in that lot. I wish Bruce Lee would have been alive to take issue with them over that call. He'd have kicked them a new orifice.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

The names "Bruce Wayne" and "Dick Grayson" were just two of the reasons Dr. Frederic Wertham labelled Batman and Robin as something more than just crime-fighting partners in his 1950s attack on comic books and their link to juvenile deliquency ("Seduction of the Innocent"). Their names, along with the fact that they lived alone with their (male) butler, devoid of any female companionship in the house, and that they were always swinging around on ropes and whatnot, led Wertham to believe that Batman and Robin were in the closet more than they were in the Batcave, so to speak. He also was an equal opportunity offender though, and called out Wonder Woman for being a lesbian. But his greatest offense as far as comic book history goes is helping to put the final nail in the coffin of the great EC horror comics ("Tales From the Crypt", "Vault of Horror", etc.). The other stuff has been pretty much forgotten and Bats, Robin and WW all managed to stay in print, regardless of Wertham's accusations.
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• MegoNinja
                          Career Member
                          • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by saildog
                          That whole "Bruce doesn't sound manly" Logic they used is just dopey.

Bruce Wayne
                          Bruce Lee
                          Bruce Willis
                          Robert the Bruce

These are men/characters I associate with the name "Bruce". Not one sissy in that lot. I wish Bruce Lee would have been alive to take issue with them over that call. He'd have kicked them a new orifice.
                          you forgot Bruce Campbell!
                          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Don't forget Bruce the Bruce-iest Bruce of all.
                            Last edited by ABMAC; Aug 16, '07, 11:14 AM.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎