Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wes Crayon
    • Jun 27, 2009

Male/female clothing fits? CTVT capes?

Hi, all! (First post. :D ) I grabbed my first Mego-style figure recently and have fallen in love with these things, so now I'm looking to try my hand at a few simple -- and hopefully cheap -- customs. Given my desire to go with the cheapest option, I'm planning on ordering stuff from the CTVT site, but I've noticed that some of the bodysuit colors I want aren't available for male figures. They are, however, available for female figures...

So my question is: can male figures convincingly squeeze into those, or will they not fit at all, or will they just look awkward because of sagging in the bust area and other potential problems?

I'm also curious about the CTVT capes. Are they just cut pieces of cloth, or do they have clasps/elastic neck pieces/etc.?

Any answers/advice/etc. you can supply will be greatly appreciated.
  • yokaijohn
    Keep it coolin', baby
    • Oct 1, 2008

I don't think the female body suit will fit the male.The capes are just cut pieces of cloth(the same material Mego used for their super-Heroes).Except for the Devil Cape which has an elastic neck piece and is made from vinyl.Hope this helps.welcome to the museum!
    Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• Wes Crayon
      • Jun 27, 2009

Thanks for the info, yokaijohn! I may have to just look for CTVT figures with the bodysuits/capes that I want, then... and the Devil appears to be a figure that has both, so that might work well.

It's a shame Castaway is out of the Caucasian bodies at the moment -- their bodysuits look perfect!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

If you are looking for better quality body suits, contact Spiderrogue here. He does a nice variety of colors.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
          Formerly known as Del
          • Dec 12, 2004

Theressa is another good one to ask about custom suits. I got one from her and the fabric is a good match to vintage Megos. Nice and tight too.
          Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
          https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
          http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• VintageMike
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 16, 2004

Don't forget Doc Mego. He's away at the moment but will back July 14. He has bodies and any color suit you'd like. Quality is better than CTVT too.

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

Since Castaway is out of Caucasian bodies, go to DocMego's site and snag a few. They are very reasonably price, very stury and look great.

A couple of words of caution.

Be careful with anything black you put on it; the dye seeps into the plastic and stains it permanently. I learned that the hard way with a pair of black socks from New Line Miniature. The pressure from the boots makes the dye go into the plastic.

To avoid this, get some suits from Brian Leitner. He uses great fabrics, and his sewing is nice and tight.

Also, put a pair of socks or tights on the figure underneath the suit. Something that will keep the dye from being absorbed into the plastic. But make sure that they are either beige or white, NOT BLACK!

Or, sew up a pair of fabric boots/socks, then put them on the figure over the costume.

If you want dressy white shirts, get them from the Megostore, which has them in white and black.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.
              JediJaida

Comment

• stuart
                Hi-Yo Silver Away!
                • Jun 18, 2007

CTVT male bodysuits are sometimes too tight on the male bodies. There's no way a female bodysuit will fit on a male. If it's cheap you're going for, then CTVT stuff is the way to go...."cut your teeth" on, so to speak. Make sure you read the "CTVT body fixes" section in the CustoMego section of the museum.

Here's the link CustoMego

Comment

• yokaijohn
                  Keep it coolin', baby
                  • Oct 1, 2008

Originally posted by Wes Crayon
                  Thanks for the info, yokaijohn! I may have to just look for CTVT figures with the bodysuits/capes that I want, then... and the Devil appears to be a figure that has both, so that might work well.

It's a shame Castaway is out of the Caucasian bodies at the moment -- their bodysuits look perfect!
                  I think the Castaway Bodysuits would probably fit the CTVT Male Body Fine.
                  Last edited by yokaijohn; Jun 29, '09, 11:29 PM.
                  Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• Wes Crayon
                    • Jun 27, 2009

I very appreciate the tips, folks! Granted I'm not sure who most of the folks y'all mention are, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

stuart: Yes, I'm indeed looking to start out cheap with CTVT and go from there, and I did indeed read the body fixes info! Actually, since my CTVT Grim Reaper came with a broken hip pin in the package, I was forced to use the first restringing method to be able to do anything with him. I love him now, and I haven't even done the tape fix yet! I'm not even sure what it is, actually -- I went to Home Depot and nobody had even heard of floral tape. :/

yokaijohn: Oh, I'd have assumed they would... I just kinda wanna buy all my stuff from one place at the moment to keep the shipping low. Regarding the bodies, though, I really like those hinged shoulders and swivel biceps on the Castaway bodies! I'm sort of an articulation junkie (I've done a couple of 6" scale customs and found the paint rub issues maddening, which is part of why these Mego-style figures and their cloth outfits are so appealing to me), so that's why I'd be especially interested in those. Other than that broken hip pin, the CTVT body seems solid enough for my purposes. :D

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎