X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryPlaysWithDolls
    Mighty Man/Monster Maker
    • Aug 14, 2007

Painting Castaway Boots?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has tried painting the castaway boots and if so how that worked out.

I just got some boots from castaway and I ordered a pair of red ones for my Bizarro custom, but I used a maroon/navy blue color scheme for him and I was thinking about trying to color match the boots.

Any thoughts?

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
    https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

I got some colored boots from them some time ago, and they are simply the white boots that have been painted over.

I suggest using a spray paint that is especially formulated for vinyl. It will give you good coverage, and it comes in lots of colors.

If you want to make them look suede like, you can always apply glue and flocking to give them a suede feel.

Hope this helps.
    JediJaida

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
      Mighty Man/Monster Maker
      • Aug 14, 2007

Thanks alot, I'll give it a whirl.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

Being rubber versus hard vinyl, they might take to dye better than paint? Back when I used to do custom work on cars, there used to be a product for dyeing vinyl automotive products that you brushed on like a leather dye, and it soaked into the vinyl as it dried. I cant for the life of me remember the name right now? If it comes to me I'll edit it in, otherwise, the pimpley faced kid at your local auto parts shop will know what it is called.
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Jerry68
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 12, 2008

I have used rit dye on the hands and gauntlets. That came out good. Ihave also used vinyl and rubber paint which has worked well. Rustoleum makes this and so does duplicolor. Anthing else I tried never really dried, its was tacky to the touch.
          sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 14, 2008

Liquid dye or powder?

How many tablespoons per how many liters of water?

For items that small, it shouldn't take a whole heck of a lot of dye.
            JediJaida

Comment

• Jerry68
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 12, 2008

I died a few items at once. I used about a third of the package(powder) and half a pot of water.
              sigpic

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
                Mighty Man/Monster Maker
                • Aug 14, 2007

I've had good luck dying both doc mego and Famous Covers hands, but when I tried to die a pair of FC boots it did NOTHING.

I painted some fc thor boots once and totally destroyed the paint job wrestling them onto his feet.

Maybe I should save these (really, really nice) Castaway boots and buy a pair of the harder ones from Doc and just paint those normally.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

David Lee suggests a Vynil Car Paint...I think it's called Crylon? Or something like that?
                  sigpic

Comment

• blastphemey
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 11, 2008

what about acrylic???

Comment

• gaga4toyz
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 10, 2004

Acrylic paint seems to remain tacky. The white stuff dies great with rit dye. Any of our rubber parts can be painted using vinyl and fabric paint. I use Dupli-color vinyl and fabric paint. You can get it at most auto parts stores though colors are somewhat limited. They sell it online in many colors but it's mores expensive.

Comment

• blastphemey
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 11, 2008

yeah i tried acrylic and it dryed ok, but forcing it onto a figure would make your hands blue (depending on the paint color) and will ruin the paint job.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎