Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Item No Mego 71000, Desc: Time Traveler, conts: 36"!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AcroRay
    Persistent Member
    • Apr 17, 2005

"Item No Mego 71000, Desc: Time Traveler, conts: 36"!

I posted this earlier at the Micropolis Embassy, and thought I'd share it here.

Ah... How often have collectors dreamed of discovering unopened cases
    of their favorite vintage toys? Wellll...

Actually, I didn't really get an unopened case. But I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of empty cases from an eBay seller who had found a few cases of mixed Mego products in his grandmother's attic! He had found this vintage Mego Time Traveler case was filled with an assortment of first-series Time Travelers, type 1 Pharoids and Galactic Warriors, and some other misc stuff. I also got a Galactic Warrior shipping case from him, but its missing the flaps on one side. He also found a couple of cases of Dukes of Hazzard 8" figures.

The seller sold the figures out of the cases over the course of a couple of months, then offered the empty cases. He told me his grandparents ran a candy & gifts kiosk at a mall in the Marietta, Georgia region, and they offered some Mego toys ordered via a regional salesman. These were shipped to his grandparents home address straight from Mego's warehouse in Bohemia, NY.

The case is marked to contain 36 Time Travelers, and seems surprisingly small at only 14x8x9 inches.

It was nice to get these for my collection a number of months ago, at only $5 for the pair. Original Mego shipping cases are probably one of the last odd historical things for my Micronaut archives I was looking for. Not as eye-catching as the Karrio cases that surfaced a few months ago with logos and Micronaut typefaces, but still amazing to have.

Certainly something for the collector who has everything! After taking the pictures and putting the 3 MOC Time Travelers back on the shelf, I carefully wrapped it in acetate sheet so it looks a little nicer and is protected. It was also addressed and opened from the bottom, so it displays cleanly. I'll do the same later with the Galactic Warrior case. Unfortunately, I don't have an MOC Galactic Warriors to picture with it, and the box is missing all the flaps on the top.
    Last edited by AcroRay; Jul 28, '07, 9:15 PM.
    Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
    AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
    The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
    Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests
  • geotroid
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
    • Mar 23, 2006

Ray,

That's a fantastic find! Very cool, indeed! You must be pleased to actually get a back story with it. I really appreciate you sharing this.

Yes, it awakens that great "Finding a lost Micro case" scenario that plays out in all of our minds. So many of us have dreamed, so few of us actually find them.

BTW, did you see this Microrail City auction that comes with a Micro font case??? Ends soon (15 hours), hidden bidders.

A $49.99 starting bid, PLUS $35.00 Shipping? Yikes!!!

Hmmm. Maybe "Bidder 1" will place it next to his TT & GW cases ;-)

-geotroid
    Chris Farley: "Mother of Mercy, I don't speak Japanese!!!"

Comment

• AcroRay
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 17, 2005

Originally posted by geotroid
      Hmmm. Maybe "Bidder 1" will place it next to his TT & GW cases ;-)
      If by that you suspect I'm "bidder 1", you're wrong. I don't have that sort of $$ to spend right now, unfortunately.

The $35 for shipping isn't too unexpected, though. The mailing box for the case & Microrail set would have to be pretty large, which would have an 'oversized package' surcharge on it as well. (That one caught me a couple of times in the past. Grrr.)

When Lees had offered those case-fresh Microrail Cities in the past, I'd inquired directly what the case was like, and if they'd sell me the empty case. The guy who answered said the case had the Micro-fonts & all, and that he'd ask his boss if I could just buy the empty case. They never got back to me. Guess they just decided to auction it anyhow.

But yeah - Having the history for it is excellent. I love being able to get something like that. It means a lot more, so I try to get it for every unusual item I pick up or see.
      Last edited by AcroRay; Jul 28, '07, 11:40 PM.
      Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
      AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
      The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
      Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• Hulk
        Mayor of Megoville
        • May 10, 2003

Congrats on the pickup Ray. Its nice to know there is still stuff out there for you to find!

Comment

• geotroid
          Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
          • Mar 23, 2006

Originally posted by AcroRay
          If by that you suspect I'm "bidder 1", you're wrong.
          Ray, I'm disappointed. Your plucky wit should have dictated ". . . you're wrong, that is not the CASE."

Never, ever pass up an opportunity for a bad pun ;-)

I just wanted to make sure that you saw the auction photo with the case. Definitely one for the archives. Too bad Lee's never responded to your request prior to posting their auction.

I see a second bidder won the auction. You can always contact him/her for a better photo of the case.
          Chris Farley: "Mother of Mercy, I don't speak Japanese!!!"

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

wow an unopened case of any vintage toy is great. mike

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎