X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Mr. Fantastic (Almost) Head Question

Well, I got my Mr. Fantastic and except for the Zombie head, he is nice.

Has anyone had any luck with this trick for degreying a Mr. Fantastic head.

I'm going to go ahead and try it, but I was hoping someone might could tell me if anyone has had a good result on a Reid head.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

I've never done that and I would be scared to try it on a brand new head,maybe someone here could do it for you or something
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
      mego batman collector
      • Jun 22, 2004

there has been luck degreying heads there is a member here flynne i believe who can tell you how to do it. ive never tried it. good luck with the head. mike

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by toys2cool
        I've never done that and I would be scared to try it on a brand new head,maybe someone here could do it for you or something
        You've got nothing to lose, a grey is crap anyway. Either it works and you have a mint figure or it fails and you still have a crappy head.
        I have heard from people who succesfully degreyed a head that it might grey again after a while, but not always. So good luck
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• beartex2000
          For display only!!
          • Jun 2, 2007

I recently had success on an invisible girl head. Take your time,it may take multi-applications to get the result you are looking for.

Comment

• saildog
            Permanent Member
            • Apr 9, 2006

It worked! I followed the directions exactly and after one application, the Zombie look was gone. I could not believe the difference it made. It's pretty easy for me to compare the difference, because it is still Zombie Grey down inside the neck plug. I'm not going to mess with it anymore because I am absolutely pleased with the result after one round and I don't want to "over-egg the pudding" (which is my tendency).

The only thing that I would say is that it took some of the hair paint off when I removed the Plasti-Dip. That may not be inherent to the process, but rather my execution of the process. For me, it wasn't that big of a deal with this head because the grey/white areas of Reed's hair were quite yellow-ish and it was going to have to be repainted anyway.

I am in the process of repainting the hair. I have the black and the white applied and when it dries, I will blend in the grey. As soon as I am finished, I will post some pics (that is, if I don't make a dog's breakfast of it!).
            Last edited by saildog; Jul 29, '07, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• batmanmc
              mego batman collector
              • Jun 22, 2004

glad it worked its always nice to hear a sucess story and a happy ending. mike

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

Congrats. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Hopefully you will have before pictures as well.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by saildog
                  It worked! I followed the directions exactly and after one application, the Zombie look was gone. I could not believe the difference it made. It's pretty easy for me to compare the difference, because it is still Zombie Grey down inside the neck plug. I'm not going to mess with it anymore because I am absolutely pleased with the result after one round and I don't want to "over-egg the pudding" (which is my tendency).

The only thing that I would say is that it took some of the hair paint off when I removed the Plasti-Dip. That may not be inherent to the process, but rather my execution of the process. For me, it wasn't that big of a deal with this head because the grey/white areas of Reed's hair were quite yellow-ish and it was going to have to be repainted anyway.

I am in the process of repainting the hair. I have the black and the white applied and when it dries, I will blend in the grey. As soon as I am finished, I will post some pics (that is, if I don't make a dog's breakfast of it!).
                  Congrats, looking forward to the pics and I hope you have some before pics too. One thing tho, but I know nothing of degreying, so maybe there's nothing to worry about. You say there's still some grey left inside the neck plug? wouldn't that increase the chance of the head greying again? I've never done anything like this, so I hope the experts can shead a light on this. I've heard that degreyed heads can grey again... I wonder if that has something to do with some grey being left over after the degreying proces. Personally I'd redo the neck plug to get rid of all the grey, but like I said before, maybe there's nothing to worry about after all
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• saildog
                    Permanent Member
                    • Apr 9, 2006

I'm not the best photographer, but I took these shots in the same place, at approximately the same distance and with the same lighting. I wanted to show the difference the treatment made as accurately as I could.

Before (obviously)

After

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                      Formerly known as Del
                      • Dec 12, 2004

Wow, that IS a huge difference. Glad to see it work. I have an Invisible Girl head that I have to degray soon.
                      I've also heard of people brushing some kind of coating on any painted areas of the head to prevent the paint from being peeled off. I think they used a light coat of Vaseline.
                      Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                      https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                      http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• ABMAC
                        User
                        • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by del
                        I've also heard of people brushing some kind of coating on any painted areas of the head to prevent the paint from being peeled off. I think they used a light coat of Vaseline.
                        No, I wouldn't even risk trying Vaseline. It's petroleum based and might lift the paint right off.

Comment

• mitchedwards
                          Mego Preservation Society
                          • May 2, 2003

That after pic looks great

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• z3zep
                            The Girl Next Door
                            • Sep 30, 2006

Wow that looks really great! I was afraid it would make the face look too pink.

Originally posted by beartex2000
                            I recently had success on an invisible girl head. Take your time,it may take multi-applications to get the result you are looking for.
                            Do you have any before and after pictures? I would love to de-gray my invisible girl but I am too impatient and therefore too chicken to try it. But I would love to see the results.

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

Congrats man, Mr.F looks fantastic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎