• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddgaff1132
    Persistent Member
    • Oct 3, 2007

A new Weekend Project!!!! Yeah!!!

Hey Yunz all!!!
    Heres another little project for those interested. Build a mini Vacuforming unit. Now the object of this idea was driven by the size of the styrene sheet that I can find/buy. Locally. I can only get sheets 21"x 8" and 1mm thick from my local hobby shop. Its kinda an odd size but its easy to get.

STEP 1...

First thing. I bought a small utility container 4.5"x 7". One that is segmented inside. These will give inner support to the box structure while under suction. I drilled 1/4" vent holes in the dividers to allow airflow or vacuum in this case. I then drilled a large hole in the lid for the vacuum connector. This is a 1/4 inner diameter threaded elbow connector you can find at the hardware store.

STEP 2...

Turning the box over. The bottom will become your vacuforming work surface. On the container bottom. I drawn a grid with a sharpy of lines spaced about 3/8" apart. Where the lines intecected I drilled a hole with the smallest drill bit I have (Dremil tools usually come with a 1/32") If the lines intersect at the base of the inner dividers, drill a little to the left or right. My brass connector was epoxied in place inside and outside of the lid. This will complete the Vacuformer work surface. Close and seal the box shut. Glue the lid shut and for added seal cover the edge with duct tape.

STEP 3...

This is more plumbing supplies from the hardware store. I believe this connector is for a sink/faucet connection. It is water tight. I added a 1" inner diameter PVC pipe connection. This will connect to my house hold vacuum cleaner hose. (I had to add a little duct tape to snug it up inside the vacuum hose)

Here's a close up of the PVC connector. Inside these threaded connections I used epoxy to make them air tight. (You could even use elmers as long as you let it dry.)

STEP 4...

Make your frames. They must fit your vacuformer. These 2 frames will hold the styrene sheet between them. I used yard sticks. (Wood doesnt conduct as much heat like metal.) They are held together by angle brackets (More hardware store stuff) I only used the metal brackets on one side of each frame. Remember the other side must be a flush/smooth surface to hold the styrene tight.

Here you see the frame in relation to the vacuformer work surface. The metal brackets are placed facing outwards as the image shows.

STEP 5...

The fun bit. Make your subject. Here I had taken a old mego torso. I cut it in half and glued craft foam to give an armour look. The button glued to the chest should give you an idea of who this armour is for!!!

STEP 6???

I kinda jumped ahead with this image. Here you see how the Styrene is held between the frames. I use 1" clips to keep the frame styrene sandwich tightly together. This frame styrene sandwich is placed in an OVEN. Not directly on the rack. The frame must be propped up away from the oven racks. I usually place the frame on a pot so the styrene is free to droop when heated. NEVER LEAVE YOUR PROJECT WHILE HEATING. When you see the styrene drooping/sagging inside the frame. It is ready for vacuforming. Activate the vacuum cleaner that you connected to your vacuformer. Using oven mitts,remove the frame/styrene sandwich from the oven and lower it onto the vacuformer. Try to get the frame arround the box Like the second image in STEP 4. The suction will pull the styrene tight arround what ever is lying on the vacuform work surface (My body armour). I let the styrene sit under vacuum a couple of minutes to allow it to cool. When its done. Turn off the vac. Remove the frame and pull out your subject. My body armour positive popped out of the styrene easily. The finished result is what you see in the finale photo. Now all I have to do is trim and paint and attach to my project. Hope it goes this easy for you too.
    Last edited by ddgaff1132; Jun 17, '09, 10:08 PM. Reason: image problems
    Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
    MEGO MOTORS
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

The last two pictures didn't show up.

Sounds intriguing, and a lot better than using the oven!
    JediJaida

Comment

• yokaijohn
      Keep it coolin', baby
      • Oct 1, 2008

WOW!!!!!!Interresting.
      Monsters and much more by YokaiJohn on Etsy

Comment

• Captain
        Fighting the good fight!
        • Jun 17, 2001

You sir are a genius!

Cool stuff indeed!
        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Wow....REALLY COOL!! Can't wait to see the finished product!
          sigpic

Comment

• 60'schild
            Silver Haired Silver Ager
            • Mar 27, 2009

Most Impressive!!

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

hmmm...WOW, what a neat idea....and the armor, I bet "I" know who that is!!

(I'll want one when you get him done ;-)

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
                w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
                • Sep 17, 2008

WOW! This is really ingenious! What is the oven temp set at for this? I can't wait to try something like this myself now.
                Thanks for sharing your genius!
                MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• David Lee
                  The Fix-it-up Chappie
                  • Jun 10, 2002

Very cool indeed! Bravo sir! "you's one crafty feller"

-Dave

Comment

• jasonmego1277
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 9, 2008

WOW ... Thats absolutely awesome !!!!!
                    In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Very impressive
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• vulcan2074
                        Live Long and Prosper
                        • Mar 23, 2008

Your like a Mad Scientist. Very awesome man
                        Sammy

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                          Persistent Member
                          • Oct 3, 2007

Originally posted by D!n0-M@n
                          WOW! This is really ingenious! What is the oven temp set at for this? I can't wait to try something like this myself now.
                          Thanks for sharing your genius!

The tempiture is one of those try as you go things. I started at 250-300 degrees and worked up from there. The sag of the styrene is your clue. That is what you watch for.
                          Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                          MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• D!n0-M@n
                            w/ Life-Like Hair & Beard
                            • Sep 17, 2008

Thanks!
                            MY GODS ARE SMALL...... AND PLASTIC!

Comment

• gman
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 4, 2002

Did you do this in your household oven? Does the plastic give off any toxic fumes? I have wanted to do this for a long time. I have just been afraid of damage to the family oven...... I like the size of vacuform machine --- at that size I might be able to use a large toaster oven outside.
                              Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎