X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Even more Golden Age revivals-Marvel's 12

Wow, the Golden age bandwagon is joined by Marvel!

http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_0...TheTwelve.html

Looks interesting, not familiar with JMS's work, but the artist was really good in FF First Family.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

JMS has been writing crappy Spider-Man comics for the last few years...ya ain't missing much! His Supreme Power is just rehashed Squadron Supreme (obviously) mixed with some Watchmen and some choice four-letter words and nudity. Ho-hum!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

HEY!

That guy on the center right edge looks like "Grow Arm-Hair Lad!"

I guess THIS is the new trend then? Possibly 'cos all their reprint compilations are selling so well?

I'm pretty skeptical. I kinda suspect we're gonna end up with the same crud as all the other new books, with old characters; NOT stories building on the golden age techniques, formulae, or story styles.

Don C.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
        Stays Crunchy in Milk
        • Aug 2, 2004

JMS is hit and miss. Usually a miss, but a few story archs here and there have been good. His first arch on Spider-man leading up to Aunt May finding out Pete was Spidey, was good. Rising Stars was good at the start.... but then he's also written total crap with the crap highlight being Gwen Stacy doing Norman Osborn and producing kids.
        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• brineb
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 26, 2006

I think it looks cool ... I am a huge Golden Age fan, I hope it's well done!!!
          I also play with other dolls:
          http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

...I dont see Black Marvel?....Hope he's in this too! (and who is the guy with the funky helmet in the lower left hand side?)

I am completely unfamiliar with the writer, but if you guys say he stinks, I'll take your word for it. Too bad they didnt get Roy Thomas to do this...he would be a natural choice you would think?
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Roy Thomas would've probably been a much better choice than JMS...and he's currently writing some of the Classics series for Marvel anyway. But he's probably not the "name" anymore than Marvel is looking for with this type of gig.
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Captain
                ...I dont see Black Marvel?....Hope he's in this too! (and who is the guy with the funky helmet in the lower left hand side?)

I am completely unfamiliar with the writer, but if you guys say he stinks, I'll take your word for it. Too bad they didnt get Roy Thomas to do this...he would be a natural choice you would think?

The guy in the funky helmet is Night Raven, a retro Marvel UK character. http://internationalhero.co.uk/n/nitravn.htm

I'm going to give this a try despite the bad writer. I really like the premise of it, with a bunch of them transplanted to our time from the 40's.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Wow! I'm amazed none of you are Babylon 5 fans.

I actually think JMS has proven himself to be a great writer in the Television medium, having created Babylon 5 and written almost every episode from the third season onwards. He also wrote some of the more memorable episodes of the Twilight Zone revival from the eighties.

I think his Spiderman run started off quite strong with some very compelling character bits between Peter and Aunt May as the highlight once she found out Peter was Spiderman after all these years. The 9-11 issue was a moving tribute. JMS probably should have jumped off the title sooner prior to the children of the Green Goblin/Gwen Stacey arc.

I really quite enjoyed his short run on Fantastic Four, the highlight of which was Ben Grimm taking off for Paris and joining a French superhero team during Civil War.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

The Chris Weston art looks great. Weston did some work on Starman and JSA early in it's run. Beatutiful stuff.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      The guy in the funky helmet is Night Raven, a retro Marvel UK character. http://internationalhero.co.uk/n/nitravn.htm
                      Looking forward to the return of Marvel UK's prohibition era Night Raven.

He's a great character, co-created by David Lloyd of V for Vendetta fame (I believe he was in fact a spring-board for the character of V), and written by Alan Moore and Jamie Delano early in their careers.

Comment

• Captain
                        Fighting the good fight!
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt

I'm going to give this a try despite the bad writer. I really like the premise of it, with a bunch of them transplanted to our time from the 40's.
                        Thanks Thunderbolt. Once I saw the international hero page I remembered I have a book with a Night Raven story in it. It wasnt a comic book, but a book on comics, and Steve Parkhouse was the author of the book...or the article? I also recall the character had some kind of throwing darts that looked like his emblem?....now I have to go down in the vault and try and find that book!

JMS is the Babylon 5 guy! Now I know who he is. He tried a couple of Trek pitches way back when too. One was before Enterprise, and the other afterwards.....no idea what the concepts were though?

At the risk of having things thrown at me, I have to admit I never really liked Babylon 5 all that much. ---Although in reflecting, I think the new battlestar Galactica series (which I never much cared for either) owes a serious tip of the hat to B5!

Anyways, I like the basic concept of the series, and have always preferred Golden Age characters to their modern counterparts, so I will probably give this book a look!
                        Last edited by Captain; Jul 31, '07, 9:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

If you thought Bruce was gay...

This guys the belle of the ball at the Blue Oyster Bar.

And if you think the Captain Action revival is evil looking...

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

YEARGH!

Who are those guys?!?!? The second one looks like a macho Hector Hammond... but he's from DC.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                              YEARGH!

Who are those guys?!?!? The second one looks like a macho Hector Hammond... but he's from DC.

Don C.
                              They are actual Golden Age Heroes that Marvel owns. The Blue Blade.

Check out Jess Nevins guide to Marvel's Golden Age characters.

According to artist Chris Weston...
                              "The Blue Blade is the stand-out character. He's like Errol Flynn on crack!" Weston remarked. "Camp, spoilt, vain and preposterous... you've never met a hero like him. He's the sort of a 'Filmation'-style character who'd throw his head back and give a hearty "Hah! Hah! Hah!" laugh before each sentence! Please, Hollywood, make a film of 'The Twelve', 'cos I'm desperate to see The Blue Blade brought to living, breathing, celluloid life!"

Here's another one.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎