• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

The most money you've thrown away?

Hello everyone,

I was thinking the other day about all the toy's I have thrown away in the past that if I kept, could have made me a rich man on eBay today (for a week or two only of course ).
    How much stuff did everyone throw away that you regret doing so everytime you look in the mirror in the morning?
    A few things I can think of that I threw in the bin just 6 years ago are:
    -massive lot of MOTU figures, with weapons, vehicles etc
    -50 assorted G1 Transformers and a few g2
    -Entire mint complete Voltron Robot
    -20 Vintage Joes
    -Bendy Riddler (which I cant seem to find again!)
    -a good handful of vintage Star Wars figures
    -whole set of complete 1st issue Ninja Turtles
    -vintage Inspector Gadget toys
    -boxes and boxes of early 90's marvel toybiz figures and playsets

That's all I can think of now but I think I could have scored my self well over a $1000 with all the stuff I had (I probably would keep most of it now though). I threw it all in the bin about 6 years ago because I never thought any one would pay good money for old toys, I wasn't using eBay that long ago obviously.
    Anyone else thrown away some decent toys that are now collectables?
    I the Monster Hero
  • batmanmc
    mego batman collector
    • Jun 22, 2004

most money thrown away by me as a kid was a complete set of megos except the alter egos when we moved . well my parents threw them out. they told me they were going back for the dresser the next trip . all my megos were kept there. they never made the trip. to this day it still bother me. they were played with missing some gloves but damn.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by MegoNinja
      Hello everyone,

I was thinking the other day about all the toy's I have thrown away in the past that if I kept, could have made me a rich man on eBay today (for a week or two only of course ).
      How much stuff did everyone throw away that you regret doing so everytime you look in the mirror in the morning?
      A few things I can think of that I threw in the bin just 6 years ago are:
      -massive lot of MOTU figures, with weapons, vehicles etc
      -50 assorted G1 Transformers and a few g2
      -Entire mint complete Voltron Robot
      -20 Vintage Joes
      -Bendy Riddler (which I cant seem to find again!)
      -a good handful of vintage Star Wars figures
      -whole set of complete 1st issue Ninja Turtles
      -vintage Inspector Gadget toys
      -boxes and boxes of early 90's marvel toybiz figures and playsets

That's all I can think of now but I think I could have scored my self well over a $1000 with all the stuff I had (I probably would keep most of it now though). I threw it all in the bin about 6 years ago because I never thought any one would pay good money for old toys, I wasn't using eBay that long ago obviously.
      Anyone else thrown away some decent toys that are now collectables?
      just the 20 vintage Joes if they were the 12" ones could've gotten you the $1000,I didn't really throw them away but I did sell them for almost nothing,we needed money for rent,shoes,and clothes so there went my toys and my moms dolls to a collector who stopped in my garage sale in 1994,remind you most of these were bought at antique and toy shows etc...of the top of my head
      550 loose joes with weapons $150
      20+ 12" vintage Joes $10 a piece
      mego wgsh all complete about 20 of them $5 each!!!
      entire Star wars set to my uncle for my cousin about $45
      He man complete set to my uncle $40
      AWA complete set $35 to my uncle
      and my set of hotwheels including a ton of redlines to my uncle for $15

can't blame him though I needed the money and he did me the favor,hardest part is my cousin still has them in his closet!!!
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• xNo7ucK
        Museum Super Collector
        • Aug 26, 2006

My mom once threw out my ERECTOR SET I had a lot of it, Well I guess it was my fault I had it in a cardboard box and i put that in a garbage bag so the parts would not fall out and my mom though it was just some garbage I forgot to put out. I still bring it up sometimes she will say I am going to go throw this stuff out" and I say "hope its none of my stuff" Man I want some of that stuff back.
        http://xno7uck.com my BLOG

Comment

• DocDrako
          Formerly Doc Drako
          • Nov 11, 2004

All but one of my Star Wars men fell in battle with a BB gun. Only my Stormtrooper survives. And I had alot of Star Wars figures. I gave my Millenium Falcon to a little kid when I was 13, my standard Tie Fighter and Darth Vader's Tie Fighter got lost in the shuffle of moving somewhere, and I gave my Super Powers figures to my cousin.

I ended up giving my other toys away when I got "too old" for them. Nobody made me get rid of them, I just thought that I was done with them and that I'd never need or want them again. I was wrong. I wish I had saved them for my son. There was my He-Man stuff, my Eagle Force guys (although I still have Savitar), and countless other toys. I even had GI Joe's Sea Wolf, but I didn't have any 12" Joes so I basically put it in my closet and forgot about it. I don't know where half of the stuff went to be honest. It would be cool if my mom called and said, "We found a box of your toys...come and get them" but that's just a pipe dream.

Last edited by DocDrako; Jul 27, '07, 7:41 PM.
          "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 18, 2007

Money burned up

I didn't throw them away but they were lost all the same. My mom always thought I had too many toys. So she picked the magic number six, and everything over that was stored in a spare bedroom. Everytime I got new toys for christmas, or my Birthday they were stored in the spare room. I had new Tonka trucks, Hot wheels, Megos, and Jim West toys still in their boxes waiting for me in the next room.

Then one Sunday when we were at church, our house caught fire. My mom had left the iron on in the spare room and the cat had knocked it over. FOOOOOM!!!! all my new toys were melted mush. That truly sucked. I still give my mom a hard time aboutr it, and My kids have a butt load of toys....now I'm trying to replace the "lost" treasures.

Comment

• MegoNinja
              Career Member
              • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
              I didn't throw them away but they were lost all the same. My mom always thought I had too many toys. So she picked the magic number six, and everything over that was stored in a spare bedroom. Everytime I got new toys for christmas, or my Birthday they were stored in the spare room. I had new Tonka trucks, Hot wheels, Megos, and Jim West toys still in their boxes waiting for me in the next room.

Then one Sunday when we were at church, our house caught fire. My mom had left the iron on in the spare room and the cat had knocked it over. FOOOOOM!!!! all my new toys were melted mush. That truly sucked. I still give my mom a hard time aboutr it, and My kids have a butt load of toys....now I'm trying to replace the "lost" treasures.
              that is so bad!
              Imagine if that happened again now that all the toys cost hundreds of dollars!
              I would be crying myself to sleep every night if that happened to me.
              I the Monster Hero

Comment

• DocDrako
                Formerly Doc Drako
                • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail

I'd still be mourning that loss.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• batmanmc
                  mego batman collector
                  • Jun 22, 2004

i would still be crying about that one im still crying about the lost megos that were loose left n a dresser when we moved never mind anything in the box.

Comment

• txteach
                    Banned
                    • Jun 17, 2005

I threw tons of money away on the newer Star Trek playmates figures. I must have 120 of them in 2 trunks. I'm going to ebay them cheap unless anyone here wants them.

Comment

• Superbatman
                      • Jan 24, 2007

I was pretty rough on mmy toys as a kid.I buried my Star Wars figures in the dirt in my backyard and had funnthrowing toys off the roof.I still remember the day I cut the hands and feet off my Luke Stormtrooper.He had come in contact with acid(blue Play-Doh).I was also pretty rough on my G.I.Joes and He-Man figures.I remember a few of my Joes were thought of as chew toys by the dog.Most of my childhood toys are today incomplete and dirty,but I kept them around for nostaligia's sake.The ones I really liked(that I can afford[thank goodness for reissues])I have replaced.

Comment

• AcroRay
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 17, 2005

I played with quite a few toys 'till they fell apart, but I never 'threw away' anything nice. I just can't understand stories of people who just 'threw away' toys. We always at least gave them to the Salvation Army or whatnot. Back after I graduated from college and became an active collector I sold a lot of things for a bit less than they are worth now, but not below what they were worth then. Kenner Alien, Shogun Rodan and Godzilla, some Japanese robot toys..

After my wife & I moved in together when she graduated college, though, I threw out some packing boxes that must have contained a couple of valuable toys: a dead-mint Japanese edition of the yellow Time Traveller (in his capsule with paperwork and everything), and a small 3.75"-format Popy Ultraseven Ultraman figure in his box. Sigh...

Of course, I have thrown money away on toys. Any super hero toy I ever bought from Toy Biz, for example. Lots of recent Star Wars stuff. But I did give lots of those to an industry friend as a gift, so they did pay off in their way.
                        Last edited by AcroRay; Jul 28, '07, 4:28 PM.
                        Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
                        AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
                        The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
                        Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• VintageMike
                          Permanent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2004

Honestly, unless you to the "What if I kept them sealed" argument, nothing. I still have the majority of my childhood SW stuff and even the better condition figures aren't worth much loose and many cases missing weapons.
                          The closest I thing would be the Superman, Batman & Hulk I sold a garage sale. All had seen better days the guy who bought them (excitedly so saying "Mego dolls! Mego Dolls!) didn't exactly get the treasure he may have thought at the time.

Comment

• Steeler80
                            Mayor of Strunk
                            • Jun 29, 2001

I'm missing four Indiana Jones figures (including Marion in the white dress) and I remember Stretch Monster taking an arrow to the chest. Also several Adventure People vehicles have disappeared.Other than that, I've managed to keep most of my old toys and in decent shape.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Sigh, as many of you already know, I dealt toys in the mid eighties. Most of the stuff was picked up for ten dollars and sold at twenty, i was a genius. Most of it case fresh I might add. See one of my bimonthly sales lists from 1987:

I don't regret those fun days but man, I should have made some time capsules!
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎