X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HermitBoy
    The Superman Freak
    • Feb 23, 2007

Who do you blame??

Who do you blame your self for being a kid and playing with your toys or your parents for not buying 2 of everything? One so you could play with and one to keep in it's original box to store.

I asked myself this very question and after a while of thinking I decided that I blame my parents for not thinking ahead and getting me 2 of all my toys so that I would still have some nice still in box minty toys.

Michael
    Thanks to Technology I can be the Hermit that I am today.

www.myspace.com/mdpeel
  • Dave Mc
    Administrator
    • Oct 20, 2002

I could buy my kid 2 of everything, and he'd open them both and create some kind of evil twin scenario with them.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

for a while as a kid I use to buy extras of alot of figures,but ended up selling them in a garage sale any way
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

I "blame" no one. How would my parents know that I would like/collect action figures as an adult. As a kid, I knew I liked them at the moment but I didn't know they would have meaning to me later on.

Comment

• MegoNinja
          Career Member
          • Feb 7, 2007

when I was young I used to try and keep every thing in their packets just in case anything would be worth money, but I couldn't have them looking at me for my whole childhood so I had to open all my toys and play with them, thus, I blame myself completely.
          I the Monster Hero

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

i blame no one how many people in the world had something valuable they threw away thinking its garbage having someone sell one just like it for a small fortune. you never know thats what keeps us all going. mike

Comment

• ABMAC
              User
              • May 16, 2002

I bought multiples of a few things when I was a kid so that I'd have replacements when the originals got lost or wore out, but I fully intended to open them and play with them when the time came. Buying new toys to resell years later was unheard-of back then, and probably would've landed me in the local psychiatric hospital if I'd suggested it to my parents.

Comment

• Airdave817
                Satellite Monitor Duty
                • May 31, 2007

There was a "speculators" craze with comic book collectors in the early '90's. Foil covers, multiple covers. Someone once said that the reason Action Comics #1 has such a high price tag is that there's like - what - only six copies on the planet!!

I've bought a couple of copies of comics. haven't been able to afford to do that with figures.

It's very nice to see that Megos are pretty valuable now. If I had a time machine I'd go back as many times as I could to buy them all. Forget about the sports book that could unravel all time...

Shameless self-promotion -
                Earth-Dave
                KROC-FM
                Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

If I had to be careful with my toys as a kid because of their value, I wouldn't have liked them as much, and I wouldn't be collecting them today. Mego figures are valuable because they weren't hoarded by speculators or snatched out of the hands of kids by greedy scalpers. They're valuable now because we played with them and loved them then. If you had asked any of us which was more valuable, Kirk or the Romulan, we would've said Kirk every time because, dammit, he was KIRK!

In my opinion, hoarding toys almost always backfires in the end. The "rare" figure that everyone puts away becomes the common figure later because more of them survive to flood the market.

Comment

• megoscott
                    Founding Partner
                    • Nov 17, 2006

It's odd, but we are dependant on the kids who didn't like Megos that much. I played with mine to death--I loved them and ruined them. My MIB collection has a few pieces that came from kids who got them for Xmas or birthday, shrugged and put them in a box and forgot about them. That and the odd compulsive shopper hoarder lady who bought them for no particular reason and just stored them.
                    This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                      Stays Crunchy in Milk
                      • Aug 2, 2004

I can't blame either. There really wasn't the collectors mentality there is today. Openening and playing with toys was what was supposed to happen.

I'll never forget when SW episode 1 figures came out. A friend of mine hunted down every single figure for his kids, but wouldn't let them open them... because they were going to be a fortune right? I gently tried to explain that I doubted most of them would even hold thier value let alone increase. I explained why, but did my friend listen to his toy collecting friend? No. When he was showing me the figures, I remember his 5 year old standing there looking utterly depressed.

My son currentyl carries around a tackle box of Ben 10 figures. Many of the accesories are no doubt lost in our backyard. Daily battles between aliens have rubbed paint off of most every figure. Looking at the love he has for those figures is worth much more today than if one day a MOC Wildmutt is worth $100.
                      Last edited by Comic Book Geek; Jul 27, '07, 1:33 PM.
                      Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

My mom would have seriously blamed me if I didn't open and play with any toy bought for me.

Scott, I never really thought about it, but your point about kids who didn't like Mego's makes perfect sense. I'm sure there were kids who took really good care of their toys (even I always put my heroes back in their boxes), but most of our Megos are probably from discarded lot.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Surfsup
                          Silver Chrome Dome
                          • Dec 2, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
                          My mom would have seriously blamed me if I didn't open and play with any toy bought for me.
                          I'm with you on that Bill, I don't think I would have had another toy bought for me if I'd have left it in it's box. Toys were never meant to be hoarded, they were meant to be played with and enjoyed.

We enjoy them in a different way these days of course.

Comment

• RG
                            Removed.
                            • Oct 1, 2004

I can't blame my parents, My mom would tell me to be care full with them and not loose any of the parts ... I did a fair job at keeping all the weapons etc. but I ended up selling them for next to nothing at yard sales

As for getting two of each ... well I would have done like DaveMc said his kid would do ... open both

One thing I can blame my parents for is the fact that I had about 4 or 5 years of torture because I wanted Star Wars figures in the worst way, but my mom wouldn't let me have any. then she broke down and let me get luke Jedi when I was 7. And to this day my dad thinks I'm an odd ball because of my collecting ... but of course when someone else thinks it's a cool hobby he all of a sudden becomes an expert on toys lol lol He's a good guy he just was forced to grow up too fast he was doing full days of farm work when he was 9 and 10 years old, so he never got the whole toy craze

Comment

• Tom L
                              Mego Collector
                              • Jun 17, 2003

Not totally related, but this is true...

I remember being in Toys R Us in the 1980's with my allowance in hand. I was set on buying a few Star Wars figures, but was looking around aisle 7C. I saw a clearance end cap loaded with carded Megos. I remember seeing Batman, Robin, Superman, Hulk, Spider-man and they were all marked down to $0.99. I actually remember thinking that these were old toys and maybe I should buy a few to save.

Once I hit the SW section, I blew my entire allowance without giving the Megos another thought. The next time I went back, the Megos were all gone.

D'oh!

Tom L.
                              Common sense is not that common.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎