X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Weird choices in the WGSH line

I've just been thinking about some of the odd choices Mego made in the WGSH line. Besides the blaring figure omissions (Flash, Green Lantern, Luthor, Dr. Doom), they did make some odd design choices. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the WGSH line, and Mego in general, and this is not meant to bash the line in any way, but I've always wondered about the following:

1. Superman: Why no actual "s" curl? It's more of a "c".
    2. Aquaman: Pointed ears?
    3. Batman: That funky shaped "oval". What shape is that, anyway? And why no shadow on the cowl? I'm betting the Captain Action Batman mask influenced that.
    4. Robin: Why the spit curls? Robin hadn't had those for 8 years by the time Mego started WGSH. I'm guessing the Captain Action Action Boy suit influenced this as well. And why a yellow belt? Barring some mis-coloring jobs, Dick Grayson's belt was always black with a yellow/gold buckle. And why so tall, esp. if this is meant to represent the younger, Boy Wonder Robin?
    5. Captain America: The obvious lack of white sleeves and red gloves, simulated or oven-mitt. The mitts were probably left out so he could hold his shield.
    6. Penguin: Where's the umbrella?
    7. Riddler: Why the Batman belt? My son noticed this just the other day and thought I had put a Batman belt on Riddler and painted it purple.
    8. Wonder Woman: Where's the lasso?
    10. Hulk: Why or why is he so short?
    11. Shazam/Captain Marvel: If they are going for a simplified cape, why not white instead of yellow. The cape is predominantly white.
    12. Green Arrow: If you are going to give him flesh colored sleeves, why not screen print his long archer gloves on. It would seem that the extra material for his incorrect glove cuffs would be costlier.
    13. Wonder Girl: Why blue boots? Why not comic-accurate black?
    14. Speedy: His uniform is completely backwards. At that time (and on the TT packaging) he had completely bare arms, and pants. Not bare legs, and long sleeves!

This is just off the top of my head. Any other weird choices you can think of on the existing figures?

Chris
    sigpic
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

You forgot Catwoman. Why that outfit? Made no sense whatssoever. And painted eyeballs on Iron Man? I don't think I've seen Tony's eyes when he wears the Iron Man helmet. Only on really close ups.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

all good points Chris,I always wondered the same thing.One that I hate is why not give Mr.Mxy real boots, but my biggest thing was the Trek Aliens,they look nothing like the originals
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

You forgot Catwoman. Why that outfit? Made no sense whatssoever. And painted eyeballs on Iron Man? I don't think I've seen Tony's eyes when he wears the Iron Man helmet. Only on really close ups.
        Catwoman I can understand. That was her current costume. She'd had it just about as long as Green Arrow had his new costume. It only lasted about 1 more year after that, but it was what she was wearing at the time the figure was produced.

As for Iron Man, well, Batman, Robin, and Green Arrow had eyeballs too, and they never did in the comics. I think Mego just took the more realistic approach with the eyes. And Iron Man did have a nose on his mask at the time (very short lived).

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

As far as accessories for the WGSH go---the concept is stellar----
          I mean, c'mon, what kis WOULDN'T have wanted WW to have a lasso or
          Penguin to have an umbrella?

Thing is, it seems Mego was really flying by the seat of their pants
          with their econmically geared decision making process---seems the more
          the years went on, the more elbow room they had for upgrading the figures,
          not just with accessories, but in every way

What was the run? From 1972-1977?

Too bad the years were not a bit more expansive----I'm sure we woulda
          seen some cool stuff designwise-----sure, they nixed the removable masks
          ---but look at the designs of figures like Isis, Green Arrow and Kid Flash---I
          think they were progressing quite well with design by the time the line was
          cancelled (I always thought the removable masks, glasses etc were quite
          cumbersome anyway and needed to be redesigned if they were brought
          back)
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

the shazam cape im guessing was because they wanted to use an existing material and color on hand like robins.

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by toys2cool
              One that I hate is why not give Mr.Mxy real boots
              Luckily, kids in Mexico didn't get screwed in that department. Well, the very few who actually bought a Ledy Mxy at least.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Also:

5. Captain America: Cap's boots are wrong...they should've had the cuff at the top (not red Superman boots)
                11. Shazam/Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel's boots are incorrect too...they should've had the cuff at the top too (not yellow Superman boots)
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

5. Captain America: Cap's boots are wrong...they should've had the cuff at the top (not red Superman boots)
                  11. Shazam/Captain Marvel: Captain Marvel's boots are incorrect too...they should've had the cuff at the top too (not yellow Superman boots)
                  How'd I forget those. Poor Captain America. With his costume inaccuracies, and his straight-from-the-optometrist-eyes, he is WGSH's most maligned figure.

Good thing his shield really flies!!!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• chalwa
                    Mego Philomath
                    • Jun 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    How'd I forget those. Poor Captain America. With his costume inaccuracies, and his straight-from-the-optometrist-eyes, he is WGSH's most maligned figure.
                    Good thing his shield really flies!!!
                    Chris
                    Y'know, I realize they were flying by the seat of their pants and a lot of these odd costume/accessory choices can be attributed to finacial reasons(they did criss-cross parts, ala Falcon's hands) but speaking personally, just having the darn things was enough for me.
                    These were the first real attempt to satiate the fantasies of superhero-loving kids. I didn't care about the lasso (although my 12" did have one later on.) or the umbrella. I was just happy someone was making 'em in any decent form.
                    God bless my inner 12-year old.
                    And yours too!

bestest

Chris
                    Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
                    The Misadventures of Captain Blog
                    Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
                    I shall be very proud and great.
                    And tell the other girls and boys,
                    not to meddle with my toys.
                    -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• ABMAC
                      User
                      • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      4. Robin: …And why so tall, esp. if this is meant to represent the younger, Boy Wonder Robin?
                      Mego only HAD one body when Batman and Robin were released. Better a tall Robin than no Robin.

6. Penguin: Where's the umbrella?
                      8. Wonder Woman: Where's the lasso?
                      How many WGSH had accessories at all? Captain America, Green Arrow, Thor, Conan, Tarzan, and who else? It wasn't like now when every figure has to have a carrying case for all his signature gadgets and doodads.

10. Hulk: Why or why is he so short?
                      So they wouldn't have to make the box wider.

11. Shazam/Captain Marvel: If they are going for a simplified cape, why not white instead of yellow. The cape is predominantly white.
                      They already had yellow cape material and yellow elastic from when they made Robin. Besides, a plain white cape on Captain Marvel looks awful and gets dirty easily.

12. Green Arrow: If you are going to give him flesh colored sleeves, why not screen print his long archer gloves on. It would seem that the extra material for his incorrect glove cuffs would be costlier.
                      He was already the most complex figure made at the time. Screenprinting would've added more expense.

Comment

• batmanmc
                        mego batman collector
                        • Jun 22, 2004

i was and really am glad to just have megos. i ike talking about what if mego did this or what would have been cool. mike

Comment

• theressa
                          Sewing...?
                          • Jun 13, 2004

Last edited by theressa; Apr 15, '08, 12:00 AM.
                          Wants, original parts; thinking...
                          It's the quiet ones you gotta watch!
                          Custom suits, in time
                          T_SUITS

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by theressa
                            And this one......why not paint Penguins top hat purple? They had the paint already mixed
                            Because Burgess Meredith was the only one who had a purple hat, most other Penguins (either in the movies, cartoons or the comics) had a black hat
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MegoNinja
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 7, 2007

another note is that Mxyzptlk is not meant to have pants, as strange as that sounds! Im guessing that they didn't want to do this so that they didn't have an action figure that was a mad imp with no pants!
                              I the Monster Hero

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎