X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

"EVENT COMICS" DC vs Marvel

How do you think the two are stacking up against each other these days?

In terms of sales, Marvel leads out DC Post Civil War, but that is not always the best measure of success, although that is the most quantifiable.

There is no doubt that 52 was a huge commercial and critical success for DC. They managed to create a top selling weekly anthology series using top talent and revitalized some of their b and c list characters in the process. However, the follow-up Countdown series seems like a huge misfire at this point. I think one of the main strengths of 52 was the fact that it was a self-contained series. Countdown suffers from the constant crossovers... it weaves in and out of other DCU books and leaves the reader feeling a bit disjointed.

With the success of Civil War, I think the true measure will be seeing how the fallout impacts titles like Amazing Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man and the various Avengers titles in the long term, as well as the various spinoff books like The Order and Omega Flight. Was there any big lasting changes from House of M?

I'm not sure DC's One Year Later was entirely successful. We certainly have great creative teams on the core Batman and Superman titles that are staying the course, but the Flash and Wonder Woman relaunches are now proven to be misfires, as was the initial Nightwing arc. Did the Oliver Queen Mayor arc go anywhere? I think Teen Titans certainly got a shot in the arm from the shake-up, it's a shame the creative team has left the title. Were there really any "hits" of the new titles launched? All New Atom and Blue Beetle haven't really set the sales charts on fire have they (how do the titles stand up? I haven't read them).

I haven't read Annhilation. Given the fact that they are continuing it, it seems to be warranting various spinoffs like Nova and Starlord.

I think the Green Lantern "Event", The Sinestro War really is working given the fact that it seems fairly self-contained to The Green Latern titles and various spinoff one-shots thus far. Although non-Geoff Johns written issues have yet to hit the stands.

What about Planet Hulk versus Amazons Attack? Any thoughts?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I don't read any Marvel titles right now, but the recent DC solicits scared the beejeezus out of me. It seemed like there were 24 Countdown crossover specials/minis, plus GL: Sinestro Corps one shots. It's too much to take in, and too much for the wallet. And DC is just ramping up to Final Crisis, which will be an even bigger mega-crossover to end all crossovers (oh, if were were only so lucky).

I think both companies need to take a break, and now. Sure, you don't have to read them all, but it certainly helps to, to make the stories make the most sense (although some of these intricately laid out crossovers seem to literally go nowhwer, and in the end make no coherent sense).

As for OYL, the Superman and Batman books benefitted greatly from them. Yes both have been plagued with delays and fill-ins, but they are much better than they had been in the previous 6-7 years. Green Lantern got a much needed shot in the arm, having stumbled some what after the awesome Rebirth lead-in. Nightwing is readable for the first time since Chuck Dixon left. So overall, I'd say OYL was a good jolt to most titles, barring things like Flash and WW.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by samurainoir
      There is no doubt that 52 was a huge commercial and critical success for DC. They managed to create a top selling weekly anthology series using top talent and revitalized some of their b and c list characters in the process.
      For the most part I enjoyed "52"...at first it seemed like it was all over the place but by the end it tied together nicely.

However, the follow-up Countdown series seems like a huge misfire at this point. I think one of the main strengths of 52 was the fact that it was a self-contained series. Countdown suffers from the constant crossovers... it weaves in and out of other DCU books and leaves the reader feeling a bit disjointed.
      Agreed...I don't think I'm learning anything new with this series. Even the Multiverse backup is growing stale with the rehash of very recent events. The classic JLA/JSA cross-overs got sshort-changed very quickly IMO.

With the success of Civil War, I think the true measure will be seeing how the fallout impacts titles like Amazing Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man and the various Avengers titles in the long term, as well as the various spinoff books like The Order and Omega Flight. Was there any big lasting changes from House of M?
      Besides Civil War, I think the only titles I'm reading that tied into it are New Avengers, Mighty Avengers and Captain America. None of the other stuff interests me.

I'm not sure DC's One Year Later was entirely successful. We certainly have great creative teams on the core Batman and Superman titles that are staying the course, but the Flash and Wonder Woman relaunches are now proven to be misfires, as was the initial Nightwing arc. Did the Oliver Queen Mayor arc go anywhere? I think Teen Titans certainly got a shot in the arm from the shake-up, it's a shame the creative team has left the title. Were there really any "hits" of the new titles launched? All New Atom and Blue Beetle haven't really set the sales charts on fire have they (how do the titles stand up? I haven't read them).
      I started reading quite a few of the OYL titles but quickly dropped most of them, including All New Atom, Green Arrow (Thanks again Winnick) and Blue Beetle. Still buy Teen Titans but I'm getting tired with that as well.

I haven't read Annhilation.
      Ditto

I think the Green Lantern "Event", The Sinestro War really is working given the fact that it seems fairly self-contained to The Green Latern titles and various spinoff one-shots thus far. Although non-Geoff Johns written issues have yet to hit the stands.
      I haven't been able to find an issue of this yet...it keeps selling out.

What about Planet Hulk versus Amazons Attack? Any thoughts?
      No interest in either.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Customslab

yea imo i think dc comics are the best right now from story to the art

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

The only bit of the DC ones I piced up were some of the minis that came out as a result, like Uncle Sam and the upcoming Metal Men.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

^ I don't like the look of the new Metal Men...too cutesy IMO...plus they're adding members. I just want to read about Gold, Platinum, Lead, Iron, Mercury and Tin...that's it.

Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters was good though and I look forward to the next one.

Comment

• brineb
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 26, 2006

I am getting VERY tired of mega-crossovers running through EVERY book. What ever happened to single issue, self-contained stories with good writing and art?

I gave up on th Hulk years ago and I am annoyed that EVERY book I read has a recap of the current World War Hulk story and some annoying vignette with the Hulk. I just want good stories that don't require buying every other book out there.

I really like the current Captain America story-line, I hope it has a strong and logical end.

I loved 52, but agree that Countdown is not as exciting ... again, too many tie-ins and recaps in the 'regular" books.
              I also play with other dolls:
              http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                The only bit of the DC ones I piced up were some of the minis that came out as a result, like Uncle Sam and the upcoming Metal Men.
                Was Uncle Sam any good?

Given how well Grant Morrison handled the Mad Scientist Island/Will Magnus/Metal Men arc in 52, I would love to see him tackle the Metal Men at some point. They even brought back Egg Fu in an interesting non-offensive manner.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

^ I believe the new Metal Men mini-series is based on "concepts" by Grant Morrison, although he himself will not be handling the writing duties.

Uncle Sam and The Freedom Fighters was very good, although Morrison didn't write that one either, just based on his ideas.

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                    ^ I believe the new Metal Men mini-series is based on "concepts" by Grant Morrison, although he himself will not be handling the writing duties.

Uncle Sam and The Freedom Fighters was very good, although Morrison didn't write that one either, just based on his ideas.
                    I'm really wary on these "concept by" books having picked up a boatload of those Neil Gaiman Techno Comix, various Dreaming and Books of Magic spinoffs, Alan Moore Avatar books over the years. I'm not sure DC Marketing is really doing the creators of the books any favours by letting people know that Grant Morrison scribbled some notes down on a napkin... I think it just sets up expectations for something Morrison-like instead of Gail Simone or Palmiotti/Gray writing in their own voices.

Have they announced Grant's next project? Given the fact that he's worked so heavily in the DCU in the past 2-3 years, I imagine he'd be headed for creator owned country via Vertigo or Wildstorm. Although I guess he's got his hands full on The Authority, WildCats and Batman.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎