X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saildog
    Permanent Member
    • Apr 9, 2006

Cruddy carded or Mint Loose?

At what point does a cruddy carded become a Mint Loose?

Does it ever?

I just bought a Carded Mego that looks like crap on the card, but loose it would be Mint. Now, I collect for sentimental reasons and not for value, but if I were to remove this from the card (which is my preference) would I be robbing the community of a prized possession? I would be just as happy to trade it away to someone with a nice loose figure who is more interested in preserving a carded version.

I won the carded for far less than I have seen a Minty loose go and that is why I pulled the trigger.

I would appreciate some advice on this as I really wanted a nice loose instead of a crappy carded, but this is how things shook out for me.
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

In my opinion, a card can serve two purposes; it protects the figure and keeps it in the same condition it was in when it left the factory, and it can be a display item in its own right if its condition makes it worthy. A crappy card is only good for protecting the figure. If you open it, the figure loses a little monetary value, but its display value increases.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I know I would'nt open it,but that's just me,a figure in a crappy card will always fetch a little more then a loose one,but if you did want to open it,I would suggest trying to trade it to someone for a loose perfect one.
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Dave Mc
        Administrator
        • Oct 20, 2002

If the card is crap, and you like loose, free it. It's a crap card anyway. I'm not one to always shout "free the mego's!". If I had a really nice carded figure, I'd trade it away for a mint loose one before opening it up, but if the card is ruined, just open it and be done.

Comment

• jemboy2004
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 14, 2005

I think it depends on the figure. If it's a common figure open it up! If it's not a common figure, Hey it's yours and you like it better loose. Open it up! But if rare a trade would make a carded collector very happy for a loose mint one.

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

Again, it depends of the figure. If it were a more rare carded figure I'd keep it carded. I prefer mine loose. Maybe cut a slit in the top or bottom of the card, free the figure or you could always slide it back into the bubble on the card. In the end it's what makes you happier.

Comment

• saildog
              Permanent Member
              • Apr 9, 2006

I appreciate the responses.

I am not in any hurry to make a decision and when I have this in my possession, I will make a full determination. I collect loose and I got this for less than I have seen incomplete loose go for on eBay or in the Marketplace.

All I want is a nice loose Mr. Fantastic (not a rare figure, but hard for me to come by as I have been trying for a year and lost out on many a loose one).

Here is the picture from eBay, but we'll see when it arrives. Could be, he has a "zombie head".

Based on the eBay picture, maybe you all can help me decide how to go about this. Again, if it is a nice enough carded, I don't want to ruin something that might me an asset to the community at large.
              Last edited by saildog; Jul 23, '07, 5:32 AM. Reason: Added Image

Comment

• Tom L
                Mego Collector
                • Jun 17, 2003

Saildog,

Great question. It is interesting to see how the value differs for crappy carded figures and loose minty figures. Crappy carded figures will somtimes sell for far less than minty loose ones of the same character.

My opinion is that a loose mint figure is nicer than a carded figure on a very worn card (unless it is a very rare figure or card variation as others already noted). Knowing that you freed your minty loose figure from its card yourself is a great feeling.

Tom L.
                Common sense is not that common.

Comment

• Meule
                  Verbose Member
                  • Nov 14, 2004

As others have said, unless it's a very rare card I'd open it if it's ruined. No point in keeping a minty figure on a crappy card. It'll look better on display loose than on a ruined card
                  "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• saildog
                    Permanent Member
                    • Apr 9, 2006

I've posted the picture from eBay. (Admin, if this is a "No-no", let me know and I will remove it.)

It looks like it is a badly faded PinPin Card. There is a spot that evidently had a sticker that was removed and the part under the sticker still has bright color.

The unfaded area looks like it may have had a sticker like the one in the Museum Gallery. The size and placement appear to be the same.

I got to thinking and I seem to remember there was a member who opened his carded Mr. Fantastic for the same reason I might. I remember because he took photos to mark the occasion.

I went back and searched the old board and found the thread.

Based on the comments in the thread, it seems several others have done the same thing.
                    Last edited by saildog; Jul 23, '07, 6:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• MegoGeek
                      From The Black Lagoon
                      • Jun 27, 2001

That card is trashed and nasty. Open it it up and enjoy a minty mint figure.
                      ______
                      ChArLiE

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

Shoot, I'd open it anyway. I know most collectors don't think much of that, but there are very few figures I'd leave carded. I prefer the tactile experience and handle the thing.
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

Darn that card is pretty bad,just do what you think is right man
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

I would have no problems opening that card. I've purchased figures on crappy cards before, in order to get a complete, minty figure. Go for it!

Comment

• AusTex
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 5, 2003

I have been considering freeing my peace belt Supergirl from her faded card for years. I think this is the year to do it. I have decided that the enjoyment I would get seeing this mint figure posed perfectly inside a modern protective case (next to Supergirl & SS Supergirl) outweighs the monetary value of keeping her in the card.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎