X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocDrako
    Formerly Doc Drako
    • Nov 11, 2004

Who Is Michael? A Little Story About A Mego

A few years ago, I was in a used store, and I came across 2 Megos in a display case. It was a Dr McCoy without belt or weapons, and a Klingon wearing an ape shirt without belt or weapons. They were $10 each and since I didn't have them, I bought them right away. McCoy still had his badge minus the foil, and his joints were fairly tight although I could tell that he had been played with. The Klingon was in equally good shape, and also had fairly tight joints although obviously played with.

Once I got them home, I decided to check them for any damage beneath the surface: you know, cracked wrists, elbows, knees etc, so I removed their clothes. I was surprised to find that someone who had owned the Dr McCoy before was named Michael. The name was clearly written across Dr McCoy's back in a permanent black pen. It seemed to be a child's handwriting.

At first I thought, "I'm gonna have to replace this torso or find some way to clean that off." But as I looked at the name, I couldn't help but wonder who Michael was. Had he and I gone to school together? Since I had found the figures in a used store in Reno, I wondered if they had truly been in the Reno area since the 70's. Did Michael grow up in Reno just as I had? Was he a Star Trek fan or simply a kid that liked Megos? Was the Klingon his as well? If so, why hadn't he written his name on the Klingon's back? Did the two toys happen to come from two different places in the world to end up together in a used store in Reno? And how did Michael play with his Megos? True to the characters? Or like I used to, using all of my different toys together in one big universe? The more I wondered about Michael, the more I found it difficult to consider removing the name. Sure the Mego was mine now, but there was a history there.

The name remains. I can't bring myself to remove it. Maybe it wasn't even marked by a child but just by someone with bad handwriting who felt like marking his property. I won't take the chance. If the toy has come all this way through time from the 1970's to the 21st century, from a kid named Michael to a collector like me, then the name as far as I'm concerned is a part of my Dr McCoy forever. It's almost like Michael has entrusted me with a favorite toy. Will I ever really know? No. That's almost impossible. Unless I miraculously meet Michael some day. And if I do, I'll make sure his Dr McCoy gets back to him.

It's an odd story, but it's true. I'll never remove that name. I just can't erase the history that's tied up with the toy. It's more valuable to me with the name than without it.

Lame? Maybe. But the name stays.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

I like it...it's a really nice story.
    sigpic

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 28, 2006

It's a great story man, and who knows maybe one day Michael will get curious about those toys that were part of his childhood and start looking around the internet for more information no them. And maybe he'll just happen across this site. You never know, that's how I found this place so don't put it out as impossible. I think it would be cool as heck to hear the story behind those toys. Thanks for sharing your story with us

Comment

• jemboy2004
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 14, 2005

that is very cool. I would have kept the name on it too. It's not a lame story at all.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Reminds me of how Andy emblazoned his name on the bottom of Woody's boot in "Toy Story". Nice story!
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Great story man,I don't think I could've removed it either well not after hearing that story But yeah just buy yourself a mint one and keep that one on the side,I was thinking the same thing as Blackkrypt said,what if he happens to check this site out and looking to buy his old childhood toys again,that would be an awesome story
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• batmanmc
              mego batman collector
              • Jun 22, 2004

great story i would leave the anme also. i like the history fo some of the toys better then the toys. while redoingf my upsatirs i found a piece of wood with a name engarved on it and a date from 1916 . i am keeping the wood and researching the guys name. mike

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

I feel the same way whenever I get used toys or toys w/ names on them. It makes me wonder about who the child was. Did they get it for Xmas or their birthday? Did they drag it all over the place? I have a Six Million Dollar Man blanket, and on the other solid color side, the name JIM is stitched. I wonder some of the same things. Did he take it on sleepovers at his buddy's house? Did his grandma or mom give this to him? I think the history of a beloved 70s toy or other item is really important to the value of the toy. Not just monetary, but historic.

You were right not to take Michael's name off. Maybe someday Michael will find us here on MM, and be very grateful you're taking such good care of his toy.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

wow guys I gotta tell you I'm a little surprised with all the responses so far,I just figured with so may collectors in here the 1st thing they would've done was to remove Michael's name as best as they could,
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• FullerDawg
                    Super Mego Man
                    • Jan 5, 2007

Im tearing up. What a great story and well written. Thanks for sharing Doc and who knows like my friends said above he might just see it on here how cool would that be.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                      • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
                      wow guys I gotta tell you I'm a little surprised with all the responses so far,I just figured with so may collectors in here the 1st thing they would've done was to remove Michael's name as best as they could,
                      This is one of the main reasons I prefer getting used stuff as opposed to new. I've said this before, and maybe it's b/c I'm a sentimental female, but one of the saddest things to me is an unplayed w/ toy. I always wonder about the children who owned the toys I buy and what memories are attached to them. When I buy a used toy, I just figure I'm adding on to the memories.
                      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• VintageMike
                        Permanent Member
                        • Dec 16, 2004

It may have been done to distinguish it from his friend's Mego's by his parents. My Mom painted the bottom of many of Star Wars figures feet with pink or red nail polish for this reason. Came in handy to as a couple of years back when I went hunting at a store I sold a few SW figures to many years ago. Because of this I actually found two of them. I know my parents weren't the only ones who did that type of thing but the likelyhood of finding figures in the exact same store and the nail polish color matching exactly with the ones I still have seem very little.

Comment

• nikejam25
                          • Jun 29, 2007

My aunt painted the bottoms of the feet of my cousin's Star Wars figures so we didn't get them mixed up. Darth Vader with bright PINK feet...brings back fond memories.
                          Dammit Jim!!! I'm a doctor not a forklift!!!

Comment

• The Sentry
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 3, 2007

As a kid I grew up on a street with some very "sticky fingered" kids and My Ma and Dad always wrote my name on everything! I hated it! Now it's kinda nostalgic in a way, I have no desire selling my stuff that has my name on it so I don't see the problem, and to agree with the story, I don't think I could take the name off either, I say you're just keeping the fig for the fella until he comes around for it again! I just got a Superman and a Shazam offa Ebay recently and the stories those little fellas could tell I bet.......

I love that fact about Megos, they are such an old line and have seen so much life and history, this thought hit me a while ago, I know a few people who don't even know what Megos are for God's sake! So that means we have toys older than most young adults these days fellas/ladies, wow, they might even be smarter and have more worth than most young people.
                            sigpic
                            http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                            [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

Great read! I've often wondered about the history behind some of my toys.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎