X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

El Santo

I was just watching some YouTube videos featuring what was supposedly El Santo and a Turkish Captain America fighting an evil Turkish Spiderman. The Spiderman was laughable, but kind of creeped me out at the same time. I've heard of El Santo before, but didn't know he teamed up with foreign/creepy knockoffs of superheroes. I'm intrigued. So are these available anywhere on DVD? Any other suggestions for El Santo movies I should look for? If I really dig him, I can assure you there will be a custom Mego version in the near future.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

It isn't El Santo his movies were B-movie but he wouldn't stoop to that level of garbage.
    Here's his complete list of his movies

Santo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I grew up watching his movies and reading his comics he's a hero to me and to a whole generation of kids

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
      Career Member
      • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by del
      I was just watching some YouTube videos featuring what was supposedly El Santo and a Turkish Captain America fighting an evil Turkish Spiderman. The Spiderman was laughable, but kind of creeped me out at the same time. I've heard of El Santo before, but didn't know he teamed up with foreign/creepy knockoffs of superheroes. I'm intrigued. So are these available anywhere on DVD? Any other suggestions for El Santo movies I should look for? If I really dig him, I can assure you there will be a custom Mego version in the near future.

That was a Turkish flick called 3 Dev Adam, none of the three lead characters were legally used.

Santo and Friends has a bio & filmography of Santo, and there's a link to MexiCine that offers DVD-Rs o fmany of his movies. A good starting place would be Santo vs The Vampire Women or Santo in the Wax Museum or his team-up with Blue Demon vs The Monsters.
      A custom of The Saint in the Silver Mask had also crossed my mind. Can't wait to see yours. Viva de los Santos!

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
        It isn't El Santo his movies were B-movie but he wouldn't stoop to that level of garbage.
        Here's his complete list of his movies

Santo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I grew up watching his movies and reading his comics he's a hero to me and to a whole generation of kids
        Yeah, correct.

You can't even compare Mexican cinema (which has a rich and prestigious history) to that god-awful Turkish stuff, lol.

I love el Santo...but as a kid...I liked Blue Demon more.

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by del
          Del,

That's not the real Santo...it's definitely a Turkish production...

YouTube - Turkish Spider-Man vs. Captain Turkish America!?!

I actually enjoyed it...very campy...and fun, lol.

The real Santo Mexican movies were campy too...but their production values were of a much higher budget than the really amateurish Turkish ones...and a lot more polished...and the real Santo movies had a very 60s horror film vibe to them...

YouTube - Santo en El Hacha Diabólica

YouTube - Santo vs. the Diabolical Hatchet (1965)

Last edited by Hector; May 15, '09, 10:49 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Here's a filmography of all the Santo films:

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~dwilt/santo.html

You can just google sites where you can buy Santo DVDs...there's lots of them.

One of my all time favorite Santo movies is one of his earliest...the one that I posted...Santo en la Hacha Diabólica/Santo vs the Diabolical Hatchet from 1965...that one is considered one of his best.
            sigpic

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
              Formerly known as Del
              • Dec 12, 2004

The one I watched last night was the 2 Dev Adam, mentioned by StrangeVisitor. It was kind of cool, seeing that version of Cap and El Santo team up, but that Evil Spiderman kind of got to me, especially after burying the one woman in sand up to her neck on the beach, attacking another one in the shower, and then sending guinea pigs(I swear they were guinea pigs not rats) down a tube to eat a guy's face. Plus he had that woman with him(girlfriend? henchwoman?) who kind of looked like she was turned on by the whole thing. Really a bizarre detour from the wholesome Spidey we all know.

Check out my customs!

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

I would like to mention that Santo movies go from early 1960s into 1970s. Black and white to color film. I also found it interesting that Santo or his son participated in rent strikes for the poor dressed in costume. From what I read it was a sincere attempt to focus attention on the problem. This was an article from late 1970s-early 80s.
                Last edited by Neutron X; May 16, '09, 4:35 PM.

Comment

• StrangeVisitor
                  Career Member
                  • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by del
                  ...but that Evil Spiderman kind of got to me, especially after burying the one woman in sand up to her neck on the beach, attacking another one in the shower, and then sending guinea pigs(I swear they were guinea pigs not rats) down a tube to eat a guy's face. Plus he had that woman with him(girlfriend? henchwoman?) who kind of looked like she was turned on by the whole thing. Really a bizarre detour from the wholesome Spidey we all know.

In the sixties & seventies some overseas film-makers (in Turkey, Italy, & others), used characters like Spider-Man, Superman or El Santo for their name recognition without permission and without having the slightest idea who the characters were or what they were about. The film-makers just made stuff up as they went until had enough footage for a film.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter Canada 2001
                  (I don't think this was authorized by the estate of El Santo [right] or Jesus.)

Turkish Superman (I don't have an original title or year)

from Alyas Batman en Robin Philippines 1993

There's an entertaining spoof of/tribute to these unauthorized films called Italian Spiderman

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

A hooded Superman wearing a Bat-symbol on his belt? Ouch, that hurts my eyes.

Check out my customs!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Hey, its the magnificent Super-Bat from Final Crisis!!
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎